Subject: 2x rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zawadi Svela
Norway
Skjetten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - In the Planning Phase, can someone play an event card and/or ability between the playing of for example two allies played by the same player? Basically, can the players play actions at pretty much any time in the Planning Phase or is it limited to between and after the players play allies and attachments?

2 - Can two event cards with the same response trigger be played at the same time? If for example an ally dies, can I play 2x Valiant Sacrifice (leadership, core game) and draw four cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hvazadi wrote:
1 - In the Planning Phase, can someone play an event card and/or ability between the playing of for example two allies played by the same player? Basically, can the players play actions at pretty much any time in the Planning Phase or is it limited to between and after the players play allies and attachments?

2 - Can two event cards with the same response trigger be played at the same time? If for example an ally dies, can I play 2x Valiant Sacrifice (leadership, core game) and draw four cards?

Yes to both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zawadi Svela
Norway
Skjetten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregaria wrote:
Yes to both.

Awesome

Also, if a Warg (enemy that returns to the staging area after attacking if it is dealt a shadow card without a shadow effect) isn't dealt a shadow card at all, what happens?

And can I trap a Hill Troll with a Forest Snare to keep it from attacking? I'm guessing yes since it didn't say anything about it in the FAQ, which did add that the Nazgul of Dol Guldur coudln't be attached by anything.

Edit: typo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jelly fish
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hvazadi wrote:
if a Warg (enemy that returns to the staging area after attacking if it is dealt a shadow card without a shadow effect) isn't dealt a shadow card at all, what happens?

Can you explain how an engaged enemy can pass the round without being dealt a shadow card?

Hvazadi wrote:
And can I trap a Hill Troll with a Forest Snare to keep it from attacking? I'm guessing yes since it didn't say anything about it in the FAQ, which did add that the Nazgul of Dol Guldur coudln't be attached by anything.

You can and you should. This is a primary strategy for dealing with the hill giant. And yes even if he is snared, you still need to deal him a shadow card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boghog
Germany
flag msg tools
jellyfish1 wrote:

Hvazadi wrote:

You can and you should. This is a primary strategy for dealing with the hill giant. And yes even if he is snared, you still need to deal him a shadow card.

True. This can however only be done in the planning phase so you need to find a way to deal with one troll attack. Many beginners seem to make that mistake - me included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zawadi Svela
Norway
Skjetten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jellyfish1 wrote:
Hvazadi wrote:
if a Warg (enemy that returns to the staging area after attacking if it is dealt a shadow card without a shadow effect) isn't dealt a shadow card at all, what happens?

Can you explain how an engaged enemy can pass the round without being dealt a shadow card?

If the encounter deck runs out in the middle of dealing shadow cards, the rules states that the deck should not be reshuffled until the next quest phase and that some enemies would be without shadow cards. This is really not as obcure as it sounds, and me and a friend did (almost) came into this situation last time we played.

jellyfish1 wrote:
Hvazadi wrote:

Thanks for answering that last question which i forgot to ask
Very useful to know that I actually can get rid of Banks of Anduin even when a trapped Hill Troll is the only enemy in play. Played that way last time, but wasn't completely sure that is was allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jelly fish
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hvazadi wrote:
If the encounter deck runs out in the middle of dealing shadow cards, the rules states that the deck should not be reshuffled until the next quest phase and that some enemies would be without shadow cards. This is really not as obcure as it sounds, and me and a friend did (almost) came into this situation last time we played.

That is a good point!
According to the wording, the Warg must be dealt a shadow card and there is no shadow effect on the card. So if the Warg is not dealt a shadow card, it does not satisfy the requirements for being returned to the staging area.
And this is confirmed in this thread...
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zawadi Svela
Norway
Skjetten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jellyfish1 wrote:

That is a good point!
According to the wording, the Warg must be dealt a shadow card and there is no shadow effect on the card. So if the Warg is not dealt a shadow card, it does not satisfy the requirements for being returned to the staging area.
And this is confirmed in this thread...
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
boghog wrote:
jellyfish1 wrote:

Hvazadi wrote:

True. This can however only be done in the planning phase so you need to find a way to deal with one troll attack. Many beginners seem to make that mistake - me included.

... Son of Arnor ...

Play SoA in the planning phase. Choose to engage the Troll. Slip a Snare on the troll. Voila - one ensnared troll without it even getting one swing in at you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boghog
Germany
flag msg tools
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:

... Son of Arnor ...

Play SoA in the planning phase. Choose to engage the Troll. Slip a Snare on the troll. Voila - one ensnared troll without it even getting one swing in at you.

Good one. I used to do it with Feint or declare Gimli as defender and make him a killing machine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zawadi Svela
Norway
Skjetten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:

... Son of Arnor ...

Nice
But the leadership player has to have the first player token for this to work, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They just need to go before the Lore player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zawadi Svela
Norway
Skjetten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manydills wrote:
They just need to go before the Lore player.

Yeah, I forgot that this game was playable with more than two players.

By the way, are there any rules on which order the players voluntarily engages enemies? Reason for asking: Goblin Sniper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's quite strict ... must be in player order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zawadi Svela
Norway
Skjetten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PBrennan wrote:
Yes, it's quite strict ... must be in player order.

Ok, thanks, that's what I assumed.

The rulebook is a little unclear on that point. Each time it mentions it, it's just in the lines of "each player may now engage 1 enemy". It's never stating specifically that it's in player order, even though it happily repeats that over and over when explaining all the other phases of a round... Of course there is the chance that i just missed it, which is not unlikely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not stated in the rules section of the text, but it is explicit in the example in the sidebar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.