Hide
1 Posts

Data Boxing» Forums » News

Subject: Uncanny Accuracy of Data Boxing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
In reference to a discussion at Delphi Forums on my Data Boxing preview for Seth Mitchell vs Chazz Witherspoon (which accurately predicted the winner), I would like to note that the uncanny accuracy of Data Boxing comes from the tremendous research that was done by the late Dr. Julian Compton, who was a professor of humanities at Florida A&M. To quote Dr. Compton from the December 13, 2006 article in The Tallahasssee Democrat titled See your favorite fight on computer: "I think if you can have complete data and a fair analysis, then you can make a consistently mathematical analysis. One of the joys for me was to see the boxers objectively."

The article noted above discussed that Data Boxing originally appeared as a table game and that the computer version of the game was done by Don Mankowski, a senior engineer for NASA. To quote again from the article: "the computerized version is set up similiarly, (to the table game) but it's generally faster since players don't have to do the math for bouts that go the distance." The article also noted that "In each bout, there are up to 155 variables for each heavyweight boxer."

In the 1980 edition of the Data Boxing table game, Dr. Compton wrote "Data Boxing is one of the most detailed and accurate sports games you can play. It is a game you can play for a lifetime." I have played Data Boxing for 30-odd years. Indeed, Data Boxing is an accurate, scientific boxing game that I can play for a lifetime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.