Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This variant combines the gameplay of standard Dots and Boxes with a random layout (w/ variable box values) in order to inject some variety and replayability similar to "Hey, That's My Fish" and the card game "Raj".

I thought 6x6 would be the way to go with this variant since 5x5 is considered to be the optimal size to play with in order to be "big enough to be quite challenging, and yet small enough to keep games reasonably short" (at least according to the Dot and Boxes book by Berlkamp). Also, this odd-sized array assures that there will be no ties under the standard rules. I wanted to take advantage of the next size up (even sized 6x6) that could preclude ties given a different distribution of box values yet could still maintain a good balance between depth and game length.

So, after giving this a lot of thought based on my experience in other games, here's my distribution (anyone know how I can get these columns to align properly? It looks okay when I'm editing my post, but the manual spacing seems to get lost once saved):

Box value # of Boxes Point Total 
--------- ---------- -----------
-1 5 -5
0 4 0
1 20 20
2 7 14
36 29

The winner would then be the player with the higher point total out of all his captured boxes -- at least 15 points (a nice round-ish number). The winner is now no longer necessarily the player who captured the most boxes, but who was smarter about which particular boxes he captured! I wish I had the skills to code this into some playable electronic form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
qswanger wrote:
(anyone know how I can get these columns to align properly? It looks okay when I'm editing my post, but the manual spacing seems to get lost once saved):

See Forum Formatting.
Note the "c" (for "code") text formatting button when you are editing a message.

Box value # of Boxes Point Total 
-1 5 -5
0 4 0
1 20 20
2 7 14
36 29
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Rather than approach this with a computer how about approaching it with some components. Obviously pen and paper would spring to mind as the best first option but how would you randomise the numbers?

My suggestion would be to take some coloured discs from Steam or Agricola (once you've bought those lovely, highly thematic, replacement meeples of course). Make your dots wide enough to fit the piecesand then randomise them as you would hey that's my fish.

This would really change the dynamics of Dots and Boxes and would probably reduce the game's complexity. Nevertheless it looks like an accessible variant for the avid Dots and Boxer to use as a 'gateway'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minden
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a fun variant. Under-appreciated game, Boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.