Popular Tags: [View All]
Hem Hemux
Japan
Kawasaki
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

A very, very short question: do we all agree that the Hacan kitties lost kind of a valuable part of their ability (the one where you don't have to spend a command counter for the second part of Trade SC) when you use the Trade II SC? Or am I missing something? Just to be sure, for next game.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
That part of their ability was nice, but not the best part; the extra TGs and the not-needing-permission were by far much nicer.

The loss of the free secondary was kind of compensated, though, by the fact that Trade II cannot be used to break Hacan's agreements. (Trade I's ability would break ALL agreements, including Hacans).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
3D printing available for service at: http://www.3dhubs.com/los-angeles/hubs/martin-chino
mbmbmbmbmb
They can again use their ability with Trade III
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hem Hemux
Japan
Kawasaki
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys for the quick answer. So we do agree they lost that part, but you're right reminding me that it wasn't one of the most important ones.

And Martin, thanks for the info, guess that's another reason why Shards is in my wishlist since the beginning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
That has the odd side-effect of the Hacan having a bigger advantage by not picking Trade III for 1 extra TG.

The biggest hit to Hacan in Shards is that their racial tech makes them lose all trades for the rest of the game around Round 4 or 5. No player can risk them stealing #8 or Speaker while leaving them with Diplomacy or Warfare at just the right moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TomBoombs wrote:
That has the odd side-effect of the Hacan having a bigger advantage by not picking Trade III for 1 extra TG.

Depends on if they want a Mercenary or not, because the secondary won't help with that

Quote:
The biggest hit to Hacan in Shards is that their racial tech makes them lose all trades for the rest of the game around Round 4 or 5. No player can risk them stealing #8 or Speaker while leaving them with Diplomacy or Warfare at just the right moment.

Depends on how they got traded earlier in the game, too; since the other players will have a hard time breaking the agreements, they may not have an easy way out of it.

Plus, in the end-game, the 3-resource agreements may be worth the occasional stolen SC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Well 4 out of 4 Hacan games I've observed, Hacan and their trade partners were miles ahead. The first 2 times, the trade partners picked cards going for the win, which Hacan then stole for the win.

The next two times, the losing players reminded the Hacan trade partners not to not pick stuff the Hacan could use to win. One of those times, the trade partner was Speaker two to the right of Hacan. All that could be done was for the second person to pick Bureaucracy, while Hacan took Assembly whether or not the first person chose it. The fourth time, we were using Imperial I and Checks and Balances was in play, so Hacan gave their trade partner Imperial I, then stole it back.

Basicly, their racial tech makes it difficult for their trade partners to go for the bubble win in the late game, but they're only poised for that bubble win because the Hacan traded with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does make for an interesting dynamic, that's for sure It's tempting to deal with the devil, but it can come back to bite you

And it's not often that EVERYONE refuses to trade with them (especially because the Hacan may not always go for that tech!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Yeah, I'd love to see a game where everyone refuses to trade with them, or at least doesn't give them 2's and 3's.

In at least one of those games, at the time they acquired the tech, they had 60 plastic pieces on the board, so it does get to a point where they have nothing left to spend resources on, and can snatch the win.

By Round 3-4, the Hacan have 6 resources from Sarween Tools per round, 6 DSC PDS, 12 Production (sometimes twice) and 6-10 Trade income per round. I dislike them because their large income is independent of the map, and their PDS grid forces you to withstand 18 PDS shots unless you can manage to get Lightwave Deflectors and a huge fleet with a huge invasion force to drive directly into their HS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.