Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
137 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Contests

Subject: Nimbles the Spell Thief - 2012 Solitaire PnP Contest - Contest Ready rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP - Spell Thief - 2012 Solitaire PnP Contest - Public Playtesting
Small Update. I've been distracted by my other entry, Bionic, which is quite the big undertaking but it's going well. I spent some time yesterday working on the final tiles for this and below you will find a sample. I've done a test print and it needs a tiny bit more contrast. Hopefully in a couple days I will have the Express version print sheets up with updated rules featuring a sample turn and pretty pictures

NOTE: This is 2 copies of the same two tiles. One the full colour version the other the B&W print friendlier version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
...Is it bad that I actually like the black and white version better? The color version has some odd color choices that just don't quite work for me. Like that color for the bootprints. It's a fine color, but it doesn't communicate feet to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not bad at all

The only colour on there I'm not sure on is the foot print / path colour. I went with the magenta because it stands out on the purple backdrop. Blue is an alternate thought, but almost anything else I tried was really clashy on the floor.

I went with the purple base and then dark purple shadows and light purple light because purple feels 'wizardy' and I wanted to try and capture the feel of an old wizard castle. Grey just wasn't cutting it for me. Fortunately the B&W version is pretty close to what I would have done for a colour version originally so I (and everyone else) gets both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, you twisted my arm! I can't decide what I like either so how about a poll. Green, Magenta or Blue patrol nodes? (the linking hash marks will be coloured to match):

Poll
Which colour should the boot prints be (they mark where the guards stop patrolling each turn)?
Blue
Magenta
Green
Other (Specify)
      15 answers
Poll created by Candi

If you pick other please post with your colour suggestion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The blue looks better than I would have expected, but I voted for the green. It stands out well against the purple shadows, but still has a nice, eery, mystic, "wizard-y" feel to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Rhodes
United States
California
flag msg tools
The tiles look great to me blue and green are easier for me to see then the red is though.

I'm really looking forward to this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so green is running away with it (and my art-inclined fiance also said green without thinking so I think that settles it ).

Next sample has a bit more contrast (going to test print when I get home tonight to check that) and green prints. Also, a Tome Room is sampled.

Question: What do you think of my choice for colour/texture on the Tome Space? I am open to alternate suggestions. In greyscale the edge of that space gets hard to see, but my plan was to give the Tome space a crisp border for the B&W version.

I may (or may not) get a birds eye view of a book on a pedestal made to put in the middle of it to make it really stand out... but that might mess with the 'no fixtures' style of the tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orange
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Godfrey
United States
Rigby
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how you are doing the tile but I know for me I was able to pick up a copy bottle tops which comes with 110 wooden disks the only problem is they are 1 1/2 inches. Mean that I would love to be able to increase the size without losing to much of the beauty of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, having the game compatible with different sized tokens will make it easier for more people to build and play the game so that's a good goal to have. I will experiment with scaling to 1.5" and see what I can do (the game is being built around 1" discs).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Godfrey
United States
Rigby
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the biggest issue would be to scale it up and keep it looking nice. It's not that hard to print it out at 150% but if it was in a vector program (like Inkscape) the enlarging or decreasing of the image wouldn't pixilate it. Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
logalog wrote:
I think the biggest issue would be to scale it up and keep it looking nice. It's not that hard to print it out at 150% but if it was in a vector program (like Inkscape) the enlarging or decreasing of the image wouldn't pixilate it. Just a thought.

It's not just a matter of working in a vector program, but you also have to be working with vectors. The floor image is a texture which is not a vector, it's just a plain old jpg. Importing it into inkscape doesn't give the image vector scaling properties.

I did, however, begin with a much higher dimension image than I am working with (I scaled it down about 200%) so I might be able to get just as sharp of an image sized for 1.5" tokens if I do less scaling. It's something I will play around with, especially since we're still 2 months out on the contest deadline and the game is locking up.

Also, general heads up, I hope to get a hyper-low-ink (just lines) version of the Express game cranked out by this weekend at which time I will be soliciting some hardcore playtesting (and probably offering some kind of sweet incentive)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity I took the start tile and blew it up 150% to see how it turned out. Here is the 1" scale and 1.5" scale side by side, I'm open to the opinions of those with sharper eyes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
Check out The Print and Play Games News Blog!
badge
Escape from Nooseneck High is Coming Soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm probably a terrible person to ask (I can't really tell the difference between HD TV and regular TV) but I don't see any decline in quality on the larger tile. Given that I own a thrifted copy of Bottle Topps that I could use as pieces, I'm all for the larger tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They both look good to me! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
They both look good to me! thumbsup

Cool! Then up-scaling to 1.5" scale shouldn't be a problem Yay for working at 300ppi with highly detailed textures.

Since I like to tease here's the first floor of the Academy laid out (which will also correspond to the Express Edition).

I have the (1" scale) tiles for the Express Edition ready, so now I need to make the cards/tokens for the three basic Tomes, tokens to represent stolen tomes and tokens for marking which discs are which kind of guards.

Then onto a redraft of the rules and we'll open the gates on Phase 2 testing (and that cool incentive I keep mentioning).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magneheeli wrote:
Orange

Yeah, I, too, was going to say that the green is the best of the three shown, but try it out with a nice bright orange and see how it looks. Golden yellow, cream, and very pale grey are probably also worth mocking up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I make more room tiles I will try those other colours and see how it turns out

Rules updated a bit, not as many changes as I expected. It's still roughly written but all necessary details are in there, if a bit poorly organized. Also print sheet is up (link in first post) for Express Version 0.5 -- apparently google docs compresses pdfs that are uploaded so it's not as crisp as it could be but it prints ok.

I will try to make a lower ink version soon, but just applying a B&W filter proved to be very bad. It makes the shadow regions hard to see at a glance. Mind you an intrepid tester could print it in B&W then use a pen or sharpie to outline the Shadow regions (that is what I did with my B&W test print).

Testing Contest!
As promised, the game is now ready for phase 2 testing (although the lower ink version isn't ready, there's no reason not to offer this up for those who don't mind printing 2 pages of colour). What is my incentive? Immortality within the game!

I am going to get a few small pieces of art done for this game and anyone who has provided a play-testing report (which is a little write up explaining what materials you used, how it played, your score, if it was fun, suggestions, likes, dislikes etc) will be offered the opportunity to have one of those portraits done as a caricature of themselves. Have you ever wanted to be a Wizard? Or an Iron Golem? Well, this might just be your chance! If that's not interesting to you I am also getting sketches done for the spells, and may offer testers the opportunity to have themselves pictured there instead.

Edit: Tonight there will be another one of my fancy play-by-play reports going up for the game as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Rhodes
United States
California
flag msg tools
Woohoo, this looks cool, I'm going to try to print this up/make it/play it over the next couple days. I do have a few questions though.

1. I'm tempted to put it on a thicker cardboard I have lying around, do you think I will be able to use these tiles later (for other maps) or are they likely to change?

2. Where is the starting position? Maybe I missed where it told me, I'm thinking it's the light section of the piece on the bottom but I didn't actually see this mentioned anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nitsudrhodes wrote:

1. I'm tempted to put it on a thicker cardboard I have lying around, do you think I will be able to use these tiles later (for other maps) or are they likely to change?

No. Unless it turns out to print really poorly for others or it turns out somehow those node paths are really broken then these tiles are the final tiles for this layout. More tiles will be added, yes, but these ones won't change.

Quote:
2. Where is the starting position? Maybe I missed where it told me, I'm thinking it's the light section of the piece on the bottom but I didn't actually see this mentioned anywhere.

Yea, it's the trapezoid shaped light area on the 3x3 tile. I did forget to mention it though. I'll add a diagram to the rulebook shortly making it clear as day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wiltshire
Australia
Ingleburn
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a couple of rules questions/clarifications:

In the Flick phase rules state:

Candi wrote:
Hunter/Seeker: If you collide with a hunter or seeker then immediately set your Alert level to 3. You bumped the guard and they saw you! If the Collision was intentional (declare before you flick your intent and which guard you are aiming to collide with) then you have performed a Rush. After the pieces stop moving switch the location of the guard you collided with and your token.

Just to clarify: is the last sentence about switching places only applies to Rushes not to unintentional collisions with Hunter or Seekers? Or does it apply to all collisions. Either way I wonder if it would be helpful at the start of the Flick rule to say 'Declare any intention to Rush a Hunter or Seeker.' Then describe a rush and its effects. I also wonder if it would be helpful to have step 5. in the rules 'Evaluate' or something to that effect where you describe the different outcomes of the flick move.

Candi wrote:
Off the Board: If you find a token off the board it has run into a wall. Draw a perpendicular line from the board edge the token crossed and return it to the board.

So am I right in thinking that you don't put the token about where it went off the board but wherever is closest to the token that's on the same tile and the same wall edge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of jacka** spams a forum threadfor playtesting a game with garbage?

I hope this doesn't become a trend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
radchad wrote:
What kind of jacka** spams a forum threadfor playtesting a game with garbage?

I hope this doesn't become a trend.

Yeah, I've seen some dumb ad pop up several times on these threads--I think from the same user.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Green_wombat wrote:

Just to clarify: is the last sentence about switching places only applies to Rushes not to unintentional collisions with Hunter or Seekers? Or does it apply to all collisions. Either way I wonder if it would be helpful at the start of the Flick rule to say 'Declare any intention to Rush a Hunter or Seeker.' Then describe a rush and its effects. I also wonder if it would be helpful to have step 5. in the rules 'Evaluate' or something to that effect where you describe the different outcomes of the flick move.

That's a good idea, I will move the explanation of Rush to the beginning of the flicking section (where it would occur while playing the game) instead of being buried where it is (which is incidentally when I came up with the idea while writing the rules). To be clear: It only counts as a Rush if you declare it is a Rush and which guard you are rushing *before* you flick.

Quote:

So am I right in thinking that you don't put the token about where it went off the board but wherever is closest to the token that's on the same tile and the same wall edge?

Yup that's right. The rule came about because in some early tests I got a bit violent with my flicks and I knew what edge it went off but not the faintest clue where on that edge it went off. You can use it as a 'wall dash' effort to get around a tough spot when you have decided you don't care about your alert level.

I have images for my turn overview but tomorrow is RPG day and I got distracted tonight with Diablo 3 and kittens next door. I will have it up on Sunday and the rules questions addressed in this post will be integrated into the rules then as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A promised and overdue session report!

Components: Discs are 1" wood discs found at a craft store. Board is printed on regular white paper and taped together on the backside using electrical tape. I forgot to make an Alert Tracker for the game so I have been placing 1 penny in the middle of the board for each level of Alert. The ice walls are little strips of blue paper from an earlier version (I also forgot to make bits for them). A suitable replacement is blue roads from Settlers of Catan. 2 of them makes 1 Ice Wall

So it begins. This is not the 'easy' setup for the First Floor (1 less Seeker). The plan is to make a full loop. Straight to the first tome, then stalk the Seeker to the second and never get near the Hunter.

A ridiculously good first turn shot lands me exactly on the first Tome. A ninja opening if ever there was one.

Spend a turn grabbing the Tome there and get Shroud. Not my favourite, I like Time Stop

Then things start going south. Landing in Light gets Alert up to 1 and the Seeker rolls a 6. I get an Iron Sentry stalker.. ugh!

A gentle flick into the Shadow, keep the Alert low. This also gives me a cleaner shot of the Tome.

Which I score!

I pick it up but that Sentry is still looking for me and is now standing right in my face.

So I run for it a bit too excitedly and bash into the Hunter over by my escape route! Time for trouble, Alert 3 and Hunter casts a spell...

Ice wall. Nearest intersection is exactly where I am, he traps me in the wall of ice and I am Captured!

That's 1 for the Wizards and 0 for me.

I am considering increasing the scale of the tiles by a little bit (one major downside to this is that it would increase print requirements as the current sizes for the 1" scale game make the Express fit nicely onto 2 pages... any increase in tile size will increase that page count). I'm not sure that I need to though. I'm not sure if the game requires too much precision, then again that's exactly the point! Looking forward to some other testing reports and feedback
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.