Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working on these and so far this is what I have:

I'm happy with the Fighter, and the Rogue needs only minor tweaks to be done. Even the Wizard is close, I think I will make the staff less knobby and that will do it.

But the Cleric. Ugh! I can't get something I like. If I can get something for the Cleric I can start making these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
Just what is it that you want to do? We wanna be free. We wanna be free to do what we wanna do. And we wanna play games. And we wanna have a good time. That's what we're gonna do. We're gonna have a good time. We're gonna have a party!
mbmbmbmbmb
They look very nice! Are you going to sell them and if so than at what cost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I would be selling them. Before I final price them, I need to decide if I want to make them 3/4" or 1". Probably $20 for 3/4" and closer to $28 for the 1".

Redward wrote:
They look very nice! Are you going to sell them and if so than at what cost?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
To the beautiful and the wise the mirror always lies.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very slick!!! I like that.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
I could care less as I don't own the game nor intend to ever do so, but it seems for consistency's sake the crossed swords should just be one sword, like all the other are only one weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
They aren't swords, they are a rogue's double wielded daggers. I could do one if someone wants, though.

NateStraight wrote:
I could care less as I don't own the game nor intend to ever do so, but it seems for consistency's sake the crossed swords should just be one sword, like all the other are only one weapon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a warhammer instead of a mace?

The others I like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm going to try a shield with a sun cut in it for the cleric. That might work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought a mace/shield or holy symbol would look good, but could not think of a way to do it in only Silhouette.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cilantro V
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Just make it a gilded cross, or perhaps a holy book?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to stay away from specific religion references, and a holy book is going to look like a spell book. I will see, though. Thanks!

CIlantr0 wrote:
Just make it a gilded cross, or perhaps a holy book?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Drury
United States
Williamson
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice! I would definitely be interested in ordering a set when you have them finalized

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They look like they would be hard to pick up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
Not noticably. They are 1/8" thick, which is east to get hold of.

ixnay66 wrote:
They look like they would be hard to pick up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Cermak
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like idea of crossed daggers, but those look scimitars since they're the same size as the battle axe. Maybe a hand crossbow instead? What about just one dagger, but in that stylized "wavey" blade look?

I like the mace for the cleric. It's the classic cleric's weapon. If you wanted to go with a holy symbol though, why not go with a Forgotten Realms god? It has quite a pantheon! I don't recall off the top of my head which god is the patron of the city but I'll look it up.

The wizard's staff looks quite fragile and like it would get tangled up with other pieces when tossed in a box. Maybe just the hat alone?

UPDATE: Waterdeep doesn't have a specific patron; pretty much every god is worshipped there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't worry too much about whether the theme is intuitive or not. The colors match the colors of the game, so there's an automatic association built in.

I really don't like the wizard, though. The thin, spindly staff looks like it's going to break if you look at it the wrong way. Assuming you're cutting this with contact paper, I can't even imagine trying to pull that stuff off.

I'd be for simplifying everything. I think you've got the cleric perfect, and the warrior's good as well (though I'd prefer a sword, personally).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lim
Singapore
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love the idea, but am worried about the fragility of the items, e.g. the long thin wizards staff.

Would it not be better to have e.g. Wizard hat, Battle axe, Dagger (single), Ankh (or smth more representative of holiness to laypeople)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They look lovely...but I honestly couldn't imagine to pick them up as often as the game requires moving them around..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josephus
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that they look great as they are. You've done a great job.

If you do decide to sell these then I would buy a set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cannon
United States
ATLANTA
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The wizard token look very fragile. How about just a larger hat?

I think the cleric token should not be a weapon.

I love the idea of something besides cubes as it would bring the theme out more in the game. I worry that these will be too hard to handle, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb

Round two:

The two sizes are 0.75" (small) and 1" (large)

For Cleric, I like the large mace and the small shield
For Warrior, I like the small axe
For Rogue, I like the small dual daggers
For Wizard, I like the large hat with staff and the small hat. The only reason I'm not totally in favor of the hat with staff is due to it being more fragile. I wouldn't call it very fragile, I'd let my 7 year old play with it, but certainly more fragile than just the hat.

Let the next round of comments commence! (please!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cleric: Like the small shield much more than the mace.
Warrior: Small axe looks great.
Rogue: Small dual daggers look much easier to handle than single ones.
Wizard: Small hat without staff. Staff looks too easy to break off.

Overall looking good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Opinions/comments:

Cleric: I like the shield with starburst; I'd stick with that token, instead of the weapon (see below).

Fighter: The battleaxe is a good 'ole standby for the fighter. That said, any "chunky" melee weapon would fit the bill here. (The sword is too thin for this particular usage.)

Rogue: While the double, crossed daggers are certainly fun idea for the rogue, I'd go with a different theme. These weapons bring melee combat to mind--the domain of fighters. Perhaps a sack or chest of treasure may be more representative of the rogue; if those are too bland as tokens, then perhaps a (skeleton?) key may work.

Wizard: Stick with the summoning circle theme for the wizard. (The pointy wizard's hat is an overused cliche in my opinion.)

Naturally, these are just my own 2 cents. Feel free to use/ignore them as you will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Chaustowich
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I originally thought the mace was fine for the cleric, then I saw your sunburst shield. Nice!

Anyway, I myself prefer the small shield for the cleric, the small axe for the fighter (the axe says "warrior" more than the sword in this case), the small crossed daggers for the rogue and the small hat for the wizard.

While I think crossed daggers fit the rogue fine (especially considering thier role in 4th Edition), I could also see a skeleton key being a good fit too, as suggested by the previous poster.

As for the wizard, while the hat is a bit cliche, I guess, it is immediately recognizable as a wizard. I think the summoning circle looks too much like a sheriff's badge?

In any event, I would definitely want a set of these! Keep us updated, please...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I print on demand, I think I'm just going to put up a bunch of them for $6 a set of 25, then a person can mix and match. I do want to try one more design for the wizard, but then I'm going to add them to my catalog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.