Struggle of Empires» Forums » General

Subject: Struggle of Empires with just 2 players, once again. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find this game very intriguing. I love Martin Wallace designs combined with the beautiful artwork by Peter Dennis, also the theme of this game is extremely interesting to me, though I usually play with only one opponent, my fiancee.

Since SoE is primarily known as a multi-player game, I wasn't surprised with the Suggested # of Players Poll and didn't have the game on my wishlist... Until I found on the forum some very promising opinions on two-player games, especially ones suggesting that girlfriends and wives of the geeks actually like this game very much with just two players. Here are some of those opinions:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/2084514#2084514
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/718155#718155
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/4234167#4234167
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/104588/struggle-of-empires

So, it seems that the fairer sex (but not only) likes this game in this configuration, despite it being rated negatively with just 2 players by the majority, as the poll suggests. Is that beacause there's much less negative interaction between the players with the minimum number of them or something else as well? Or maybe a better 2-player variant has been developed since and now the game can be considered as a valid two player boardgame? I noticed that in the game description on BGG it says the game scales well from 3 to 7, but on the Treefrog website it actually says it "will scale from 2 to 7 players".

Is the game worth to get if it's going to be played with just two? Has the general negative opinion on this amount of players changed through the years?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SoE has a very unique and interesting alliance mechanism where players bid (money) at the beginning of a turn for placement of their marker. The location of this marker will determine two things: turn order and which alliance (of two) he is on. During the turn, players are forbidden to attack an ally, and have the option to help an ally in combat. In a two player game, this significance will diminish as there will not be any other powers with which to ally.

I think it is still enjoyable as a two player game, but certainly missing out on the alliance aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hamen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Music sucks now....
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend likes it better 2 player than multiplayer. The reason being she likes our games to have a quicker pace, and it isn't as nasty as it can be with more players. Personally I always enjoyed the tile combinations you can employ to help you dominate the world more than the alliance aspect. The alliance aspect is cool, but the game is solid enough on its own where it isn't necessary IMO.

I think this is yet another game that is totally changed when playing with a 2 player variant, but not necessarily for the worse. My girlfriend and I enjoy Automobile, Brass, Struggle of Empires, and Tinners' Trail, Age of Steam, Moongha Invaders, AND Steel Driver. All of these are not advertised for 2 players. Now if only I could figure out a way to play PotR and Way out West I'd be set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, your opinions are encouraging.

However, it's always better to judge it personally, I guess, so I purchased the game and will try it 2-player in the near future

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
solkan1 wrote:
Thank you, your opinions are encouraging.

However, it's always better to judge it personally, I guess, so I purchased the game and will try it 2-player in the near future

I don't have Struggle yet, but I play its daughter, Age of Reason, 2-player with each player controlling 2 countries. It works well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.