Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Solis
United States
Durham
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy folks! I've been studying feedback loops in game design. They're kind of an abstract concept and I'm very much a visual learner. So I made an infographic! It's CC-BY licensed, so feel free to share. Image and full text are below.

FULL TEXT:

FEEDBACK LOOPS IN GAME DESIGN
as observed by Jesse Catron, Jay Barnson, Kyoryu

Design: Daniel Solis (danielsolis.com)

In a feedback loop, the output affects the input.

POSITIVE FEEDBACK AMPLIFIES the output and tends to destabilize the system. For example, the runaway leader. One player takes an early insurmountable lead.

In Settlers of Catan, the player with the most productive settlements will generate the most resources, which enables him to build more settlements and gain even more resources.

NEGATIVE FEEDBACK DIMINISHES the output and tends to stabilize the system. For example, a “take-that” mechanic that gives trailing player’s more opportunities to constrain the leading player’s efforts.

In Settlers of Catan, players are less likely to accept trades with the leading player. The leading player is more likely to be targeted by the Robber.

Balancing feedback loops is an important skill for all game designers.

DECK BUILDING

[ + ] You can use low value “copper” cards to buy higher value “silver” and “gold” cards, thus leading to greater and greater amounts of buying power later in the game.

[ - ] Victory is determined by collecting Victory Point cards, which have no short-term tactical value and simply take up space in your deck.

RACING / KING OF THE HILL

[ + ] Once a driver takes an early lead, they can shift to high gear to increase speed. While the trailing drivers jockey for more optimal position, the leader has few obstacles.

[ - ] Curves and hazards can make speeding dangerous, allowing trailing drivers to catch up. If cars have weapons, this makes the leader a likely target.

KNIZIA SET

[ + ] Players collect several different types of resources. Each resource has unique properties. Some of which may buy upgrades that make acquiring resources easier.

[ - ] Victory is determined by collecting the most full sets of all resources. Focus is spread across a broad spectrum of tactical decisions.

SOURCES
http://hyperbolegames.com/2012/05/11/game-design-gone-loopy/
http://rampantgames.com/blog/2009/08/game-design-positive-an...
http://www.design.wrong.net/?p=14

“Refresh” symbol by Joris Hoogendoorn, from The Noun Project
“Flag” symbol by Brad Hollander, from The Noun Project

Released under a Creative Commons - Attribution license
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently working on a blog post / essay of my own on this topic! Thanks for the material to steal from [i.e. cite].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again I'm reminded that I need to find a tool with which I can design infographics. This is very cool.

Interestingly, I was thinking of a different kind of feedback vis a vis game design when I read the title - the kind of feedback that is designed to get people to keep playing (this is how 'feedback' is used when one talks about gameifying user interfaces).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Once again I'm reminded that I need to find a tool with which I can design infographics. This is very cool.

Here is a list of several tools one can use. R seems to be a very popular one. However, I'd wager the OP was done in Illustrator or a similar vector-editing program. I made this infographic using no software other than Illustrator. Inkscape is a similar open-source tool, which is what I'd recommend. Of course, it's just a tool!

However, some would argue that the OP isn't much of an infographic, but rather graphically laid out textual content. But that's another point altogether.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Landers
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel sad for whoever wasted hours creating this "infographic" when the contents are obvious to anyone who has been into this hobby for a while and played a lot of different games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
mjl9320 wrote:
I feel sad for whoever wasted hours creating this "infographic" when the contents are obvious to anyone who has been into this hobby for a while and played a lot of different games.

There are many failed game designs that argue otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Powell
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is so great... Any plans to make more?

Some ideas:

Player Archetypes (Play to conquer and win, play to experiment and have fun, play to create and tell a story)

Metaphor vs Mechanics (referring specifically to Matt Forbeck's article in Kobolds Guide to Board Game Design)

Number Sequences (Linear vs Logarithmic vs Triangular etc)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I teach a game design class - VERY useful - thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Solis
United States
Durham
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy to help!

I'll put together another infographic some time, but no promises on a timeline. When I find an interesting concept that could be expressed a little more visually, I'll give it a shot. Mechanics and metaphor is definitely interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
+++++[>+++++++++++++.>++++++++++[>++++++++++++++++++.--------.---.+++++++++++++++++.---.-.
mb
Tufte must weep when he sees this sort of thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sen-Foong Lim
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tears of joy or tears of sorrow?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.