Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Endeavor» Forums » General

Subject: Any chance of changing the BGG entry? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hello all,

Considering we have an official two player variant made by one of the game's designers, what are the chances of getting the BGG entry modified to say "2-5 players"? I know this has been done before, such as with Puerto Rico, so why not Endeavor?

The fact is that right now there are people overlooking this game because they don't think it plays with two players at all, and that is a shame. You can argue over just how good the variant is versus the 3-5 player game, but it seems to be quite popular on these forums, and it is certainly playable by any standard.

The first thing my friend told me when I informed him that I had purchased Endeavor was "The BGG page says 3-5 players?", because he doesn't post or browse the forums very much, and there are likely many others like him. I think we want people to make informed decisions when buying games, and in this case visitors of this site are not being properly informed in my opinion.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can submit a correction by using the Corrections link on the right hand side of the Information field of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
Don't Blink!
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, Endeavor has a two player variant! I didn't know that either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lttlkng wrote:
Awesome, Endeavor has a two player variant! I didn't know that either.

This is exactly what I am talking about. I think a lot of people have no clue about the two player variant and for some not having that option is a deal breaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
The problem is that 3 to 5 is what it says on the box. You enter a sort of benign editing war because others will insist that the database only report what is on the box. Sometimes this will cause confusion because the number of players can vary according to edition (Hoity Toity, T&E).

The bottom line is that the model of the database is not (yet) sufficiently smart to include 'soft data' like 'player number supported through author-made variant' in the main entry fields. Which means that interested parties blindly going by the numbers will always overlook information. The database as it stands is useful, but one should always briefly check out the forums and files too. It should be nigh automatic response when the fields say 3 or more players, you never know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I understand the box says 3-5, but so does the box for earlier printings of Puerto Rico, yet the BGG entry states 2-5 due to the "new" two player variant. I know that in the case of PR it got newer printings where the variant is included, however we may never get another printing of Endeavor, so we can't count on that.

This site is about informing gamers and I just think its a shame that players may miss out on this game due to incomplete information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is what the User Suggested Number of Players poll is for. If you think it plays well with 2, even though it is 3-5 on the box, vote for that in the poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The problem with that is that most of the votes were cast when there was no official two player variant, so the results are highly misleading. If people don't know about the variant, then they can't try it, and they certainly can't vote for it.

Perhaps if the poll was reset, but even then many who buy the game would never know about the official variant and just click "not recommended" since the box says 3-5 and the rules don't mention anything about playing with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Well, my correction was declined, because the game doesn't come with the two player rules. I don't agree with it, but I guess I can't do anything to change that, so people will continue to be misinformed about this great game.

Could we at least add a line to the game's description, so that people who don't read through forum posts might have a chance to find out about the two player rules? Something like: "Although Endeavor was released as a 3-5 player game, an official two player variant has been created by one of the designers, and can be found here(link)".

I don't see what harm this could do, and it would help people make more informed purchases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erratik wrote:
Well, my correction was declined, because the game doesn't come with the two player rules. I don't agree with it, but I guess I can't do anything to change that, so people will continue to be misinformed about this great game.

Could we at least add a line to the game's description, so that people who don't read through forum posts might have a chance to find out about the two player rules? Something like: "Although Endeavor was released as a 3-5 player game, an official two player variant has been created by one of the designers, and can be found here(link)".

I don't see what harm this could do, and it would help people make more informed purchases.

Anyone can edit the description.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
earache wrote:
Erratik wrote:

Anyone can edit the description.

Really? Then who makes sure the info is accurate? And if I edit the description as I suggested, is there a chance I could get in trouble?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Granger
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure any proposed change goes through the moderators who either approve or decline it. I don't think you can get in trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Billericay
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erratik wrote:
Considering we have an official two player variant made by one of the game's designers

Uh really?! I need this! Link?

EDIT it's here. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/437708/2-player-endeavor
Despite being dated 2009, the front page is actually updated with the current version. It's not a work in progress as per the text. You just have to read all the pages to discover that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert666 wrote:
Erratik wrote:
Considering we have an official two player variant made by one of the game's designers

Uh really?! I need this! Link?

EDIT it's here. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/437708/2-player-endeavor
Despite being dated 2009, the front page is actually updated with the current version. It's not a work in progress as per the text. You just have to read all the pages to discover that!

I am glad that at the very least this thread has brought more attention to the two player variant created by Jarratt.

I will try updating the description and see what happens.

Thanks guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Really? Then who makes sure the info is accurate? And if I edit the description as I suggested, is there a chance I could get in trouble?

The Description and More Info sections are trackable wiki edits. If you click on History instead of Edit, you'll see a list of edits, the date of the edit, the user who edited it, and comments from the user doing the editing. Don't know why you'd get in trouble for adding legitimate info.

I've found the More Info section useful for adding list of contents to games, and seems like a perfect place to share your particular info about an official two-player variant. Strongly suggest using the comments field to detail what you added. Less chance of someone coming along and deleting it.

Edit: added More Info info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lmnop wrote:
I'm pretty sure any proposed change goes through the moderators who either approve or decline it. I don't think you can get in trouble.

The information section is only edited through a change request. But the More Info and Description sections are user editable. See my comments above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks for all the info earache. I have removed my edit from the description and am in the process of putting it in the "more info" section.

I do have a question though. I can't do code, at all, so how do I make it so that instead of seeing the whole link you just see a word? I have never done that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erratik wrote:
Thanks for all the info earache. I have removed my edit from the description and am in the process of putting it in the "more info" section.

I do have a question though. I can't do code, at all, so how do I make it so that instead of seeing the whole link you just see a word? I have never done that.

Do a quote to see how the link works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erratik wrote:

From the Wiki Formatting (you can access the Wiki Formatting guide from the editing window):

Links

Links to other wiki pages are created by putting the page name in double square brackets.
e.g BoardGameGeek becomes BoardGameGeek.
If the page does not exist already, a user following the link will be taken to a blank page.

Links to outside pages are created by putting the URL and the text in single square brackets.
e.g [http://gamestoredb.com/ Game Store Database] becomes Game Store Database

The link name appearing on the page may be changed by inserting the "|" caracter followed by the wanted name.
e.g Vae_Victis_Index|Vae Victis becomes Vae Victis.

If it doesn't work for you, go ahead and put the link in and I'll go and format it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks to everyone, especially earache, for all the help. Hopefully now more gamers will see the two player rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:
Do a quote to see how the link works.

That works for thread posts but won't work in the wiki.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.