Subject: IT'S A TRAP! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken K
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools

Ahhh Tannhäuser.... my love for you is both unnatural and utterly mad.

Sometimes I think that the very fact that something should be better than it is makes us more obsessed.

Not only do I want every expansion for this game I have played fewer than a dozen times, I even want to create my own maps, factions and expanded rules for it.

I have heavily eye-balled Dust Tactics because I imagine working those demon-fueled not-so-Nazis into the Dust 'verse.

Ackbar... you are the Geek Nostradamus!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Siouxfire wrote:
What are your board game "addictions"? Which are positive and which are negative?

Both positive and negative: I "need" expansions to a game I like, even if it's a game I rarely play. It costs. I've a ten-some games for which I have expansions that I rarely use.

AS a result of this, I now think twice before a purchase if I suspect there will be expansions. A typical example is that if I consider a game, and discover there's an expansion coming, I usually pass.

This practice is both good and bad. I probably miss out on a few games, but then again, I've got more money left and there is a huge amount of amazing games that are expansion-free.

I think my main problem with expansions is that I have so many games and constantly try new ones, that expansions are only slowing me down. That, combined with a "Need-to-have-complete-game" is annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jimmy ryan
United States
Jamestown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flying Frog Production games.

I can't get enough of 'em. I have all their games plus the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke of Lizards
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am a breathing time machine
badge
We're all in this together, and we love to take a bath!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised no one has mentioned LCGs yet. I'm drying up inside because I don't have the latest The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game chapter pack in my grubby little paws yet.

Conversely, I've come around to being less attracted to expansions. With their high cost these days, I'd rather just get a different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ElKitch Tasso
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The CCG is becoming a bit of a milking cow, so it seems to me.

New CCG on kickstarter!! 10k different cards!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Holloway
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
In my opinion, MtG is possibly the best game ever, but I can't play it anymore because the last time I did it almost destroyed my life. I have to stay far, far away from it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
say "em-cee-crispy"
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
holloway wrote:
In my opinion, MtG is possibly the best game ever, but I can't play it anymore because the last time I did it almost destroyed my life. I have to stay far, far away from it...
Haven't had that problem with Boardgames, but WoW and Skyrim are bordering on that. At least I know there's an end to Skyrim, I had to give up WoW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Winston-salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
holloway wrote:

At least the most addictive and expensive. Never liked how whoever spent the most money or good luck finding rares had the edge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harry Potter Trading Card Game was the only real addiction I've had. It started with buying a few packs each weekend I'd visit my wife (then girlfriend) and we'd play with the new cards. Then, it went out of print, and I bought packs online. Then, I bought a huge collection on eBay. And then I was told to stop buying them immediately, or else. In the end, we kept about 10 decks worth of cards, plus a binder with about another 1000 cards for future use, and sold or gave away the rest.

I have all the Dominion expansions, and I know I'll get the last couple when they come out. No embarassment here. It's my family's most-played game, and I love it. Well worth the money for me personally.

I've also been picking up Memoir '44 expansions even though I don't play much, simply because I love the game, and some of the expansions have been going out of print. I'm pretty sure I can reign myself in and stop after a couple more. Maybe...

Overall, I love expansions. I'd rather invest in games I love than in new games that may or may not be well received.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
say "em-cee-crispy"
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ooh! ooh! I know, I know! Commands & Colors: Ancients. I've just realised that I'm fighting a growing desire to buy all the expansions. My shelf would collapse under the weight of all those components! I'd have to give up all other games just to justify having them - when would I get the time to play all the scenarios unless I were to do so?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking back, Magic TG has been the longest running addiction for me. Started out buying packs when it first came out. Stopped after Legends, but then got onto MTG online during the beta. After the beta, sunk a fair amount playing leagues and a few limited events. Finally decided I was playing too much, so I didn't download the software onto my new computer and haven't logged in since then.

The part of my buying addiction I regret the most are the things that never get used. I used to have a large library of RPG books, of which I probably actually made use of about half (although I did enjoy reading them anyways). I also had a good number of Man O' War minis (including Elf and Dwarf fleets) that my sister and I painted a few of and then never actually played a game with.

More recently, the problem has been games I bought mainly to play with my wife that she refuses to play. That list would include Lost Cities, Kahuna, San Juan, and Race for the Galaxy. The last two are still good games that I am happy to have around and have managed to get in plays with other people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjami Pitarch
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was safe. After fleeing from Magic the gathering I was avoiding almost every expansion of board games. It´s not hard since my collectable "thingy" are board games per se, so I essentially buy them faster than play them, and as it´s rare for me to play a game more than 4-5 times, I don´t feel the need of an expansion (safe for RftG).

That changed when I discovered summoner wars, bought the master set and after just 1 play felt the urge to own every faction in the game, so I have spend a lot of money in the last week (including importing the fallen kingdom faction from england because it was sold out here in spain). Fortunately I feel no interest in the reinforcement packs, thank´s god.

After discovering the epic variant of thunderstone I was about to fall into that one too but I find out about thunderstone advanced and I eased myself telling me to start from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
Canada
East York
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesjunkie wrote:
There are three games I can see becoming an addiction.

1) Ascension. I haven't bought any expansions since I heard the first one was coming out, and now I come to realize there are three and I don't think I will be able to not buy them all at Gencon. Ascension is probably my favorite DBG.

There are THREE!? OH GOD! My wallet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nickls wrote:
More recently, the problem has been games I bought mainly to play with my wife that she refuses to play.

This is the main decision point for whether I buy a game. Will it actually get played? Specifically, will my wife play it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Martin
United Kingdom
Lincoln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir 44. Had to buy it all (except that stupid bag, of course)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna Griebel
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a looong time comic book collector and eventually quit because I got tired of spending $X every month to read titles that I was no longer impressed with... and now I find myself with a similar "bug" with board games. BUT at least I can play the board games over and over and over again, unlike a comic which I would just read once and bag/board and store... Right?? Of course the price difference $3 vs. $50... oy.

Here are my addictions:

1. Arkham Horror

2. Tannhauser

3. Mansions of Madness

4. Lord of the Rings LCG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Brooks
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
horfrost3 wrote:
Here are my addictions:

4. Lord of the Rings LCG

Oh man. Do I know about the need to have 'em all with this one. Thankfully it seems to be my only board gaming vice. So far...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I played/collected MtG, Jyhad (aka VampireTES), On the Edge, Shadowfist, Netrunner and finally L5R which sucked up more money than the others because of the local tournaments and evolving plotline (like LCGs now). It didn't help that I won a katana at a game store tourney. Finally I moved to Maine leaving CCGs behind...

But board games are a slippery slope: read reviews, worry about future scarcity, get lured by OOP grail games that just must be more awesome than anything out there. I'm better now though, mostly because I don't have time to obsess. I found that putting things in the Amazon shopping cart or coolstuffinc shopping cart and letting them sit for 3 days works well; I hardly ever pull the trigger after that. Kickstarter is another beast, but so far the crazy stretch goals and lack of any visible game have scared me away from the hype-engines. Also I've always hated being part of a bandwagon effect. It helps that I have a picky game group.

Well that's my story (passing candle on to the next addict).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Coffin
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland and Labrador
flag msg tools
I like trains.
badge
Nikola Tesla, Rockstar Scientist
mbmbmbmbmb
My current expansion addictions are Carcassonne, Dominion, and Munchkin.

The nice thing about (most) boardgame expansions is that unlike CCGs, the addiction factor is lessened somewhat by being non-random.

I still own boxes upon boxes of Magic: The Gathering cards. To a lesser extent, I also collected Star Wars CCG, Mage Knight, and even a bit of Pokémon. (Don't judge me.) At some point before my wallet collapsed entirely, I vowed never to collect a randomly-distributed game ever again.
Though that doesn't necessarily mean I won't buy a starter pack of something that looks interesting. And maybe a booster or two... or twenty...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Siouxfire wrote:
What are your board game "addictions"? Which are positive and which are negative?

Cosmic Encounter
Power Grid
Catacombs
Wiz-War (when it inevitably expands)

...and yes, count me among the many who will be buying A:NR sight unseen, and then waiting patiently to see that the quarterly expansion packs don't suck before buying them regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cudmore
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent tonnes on Supremacy and the expansions. My friends still joke about it 25 years later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Halliday
United Kingdom
Herts.
flag msg tools
XPgeddon: 8 April 2014
badge
London Cans 2008: The view is more interesting from over here.
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesjunkie wrote:

3) Android: Netrunner. .... And let's face it, I WILL be buying all the monthly expansions. It's true, because I've already informed my wife of this.

+1, except I haven't told my wife yet ninja

Agricola - I keep picking up bits but the box is now full so if anyone would like to bring out a bigger box I would buy that next.

Power Grid - same again.

Dominion - going cold turkey on this as we never play with the expansions anyway.

I have Small World Underground and the tunnels, but must resist going above ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies. We are an obsessed bunch in the nicest way.

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1320360/siouxfire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The only reason I haven't bought Jambo and its two expansions (total cost: $40+) is because I own Traders of Carthage and I feel it scratches the itch that Jambo would (not that I've ever played it. It may be a completely different game). But I could not buy just the Jambo base game. I've held all three in my hand at my FLGS, hemming and hawing, and it would irk me to no end if I just owned the base game when virtually every review I've read says Jambo is way better with the 2 expansions.

While I am a lapsed videogamer, I never got into WoW. For me, it was always about the story/experience/strategy, and I never saw grinding or working towards a high score as fun (although I do have a soft spot for WW2 multiplayer shooters). So CCGs just strike me as an exercise in futility and this may be the reason I've never felt drawn towards fantasy, as the stuff that puts me off usually has a fantasy theme.

Having said that, I do prefer games that don't have any expansions because then I don't feel the need to buy them! I did just buy Power Grid, though, and I think I'll be fine with the base game (and Robots for 2 player) for a good long time.

Of course, if an expansion for Manhattan Project was ever released, I'd snatch up that puppy in a second. I also will buy the upcoming expansion for Rivals For Catan, as that game is just so great with all its themes and plays so differently with each one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.