Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rio Grande website wrote:
This is the 7th addition to the game of Dominion. It is 500 cards but is not a standalone. It adds 35 new Kingdom cards to Dominion, plus new bad cards you give to other players (Ruins), new cards to replace starting Estates (Shelters), and cards you can only get via specific other cards. The central themes are the trash and upgrading. There are cards that do something when trashed, cards that care about the trash, cards that upgrade themselves, and ways to upgrade other cards.

Wow.

35 Kingdom cards! Ways to mess with other players! Stuff to do with the trash!

I want it NOW. Please tell me this will be ready by Essen!

Let the speculation begin! How might these Ruins and Shelters work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruins: Each one in your deck cancels out the points from a victory card. With 3, they are no worse than Curses... but if you've trashed your starting Estates, well, that's bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, reading that game description, it sounds bleak.

Monty Python bleak.

Quote:
Large Man with Dead Body: Who's that then?
The Dead Collector: I dunno, must be a king.
Large Man with Dead Body: Why?
The Dead Collector: He hasn't got sh*t all over him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martín Borda
Argentina
San Nicolás de los Arroyos
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
Ruins: Each one in your deck cancels out the points from a victory card. With 3, they are no worse than Curses... but if you've trashed your starting Estates, well, that's bad.

Nice idea! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:

Is this just speculation or do you know something?

I think the ruins might affect your buying power, or have effect at the cleanup phase of your turn. The trick would be making players reveal them. Perhaps they are "permanent duration" cards that hang out in front of a player.

Or maybe they get played in front of a player by someone's attack and those ruins affect that players next turn. Having multiple stacked in front of you probably wouldn't mean much. When your next turn is over they go into your discard pile like your other cards and they become a dead card in your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
Ruins: Each one in your deck cancels out the points from a victory card.

Interesting idea. But which victory card? For example: You end up with three provinces, a duchy, an estate, and two ruins. Do the ruins negate the estate and duchy, two of the provinces, two of your choice, or something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:

Yes. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
Neo42 wrote:

Yes. :ninja:

ha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Hammond
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
I think the ruins might affect your buying power

Curses already do that, by taking up card/draw slots that could be treasures or coin-granting actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Newhausen
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
The trick would be making players reveal them. Perhaps they are "permanent duration" cards that hang out in front of a player.

Different-colored backs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Armadillo Al wrote:
Neo42 wrote:
The trick would be making players reveal them. Perhaps they are "permanent duration" cards that hang out in front of a player.

Different-colored backs.

I thought of that too, but the only card that does that right now is Stash and that's because you can place it anywhere in your deck. Maybe ruins will naturally have that too, so you can choose when you want to have to deal with them.

And as far as what I meant by "ruining buying power" is that the card would state "worth -1 coin" on it and you'd be forced to play it during your buying phase. That's instead of being -1 point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sotirios Karamitsos
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy mother of Deck Building, 35 fresh Kingdom cards. I can hardly contain myself. I was talking to a fellow a couple months back about Dominion, and he said to me, "you know what I haven't seen? Cards that do stuff when trashed". Well, I guess he was right on the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eightface wrote:
Wow! Rio Grande has done it again! You'd think after 7 expansions they'd give up, but no, they just keep pumping out grea expansions for an already amazing game.
I am drooling about this expansion already!

Eightface.

Nope. They haven't given up and there's even one more planned after that which is the last expansion ever. All the cards have been designed and Donald X. V.'s brain was tapped of all dominion goodness he could offer us. Well maybe the cards for the last set aren't finalized quite yet but he's not adding any more. And supposedly that's that.

Well I do vaguely remember him saying "maybe, maybe maybe we'll add some promo cards if RGG wanted him to".

And there are a bunch of people on BGG who want them to release some sort of "combo expansion" that explores a little more of every set. For example, there would be a duration card in there, an expensive prosperity style card, a potion costing card, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Hammond
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
And there are a bunch of people on BGG who want them to release some sort of "combo expansion" that explores a little more of every set. For example, there would be a duration card in there, an expensive prosperity style card, a potion costing card, etc...

It's a shame that he pretty much just shot down a fan-designed box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Mueller
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, my question is this. Will this expansion be the one that include the Kingdom card called "Knight", or will it be in The Guilds. I am thinking, since we already have Trusty Steed, someone needs to ride it.

I am picturing a super-militia of some kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moosey
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HUGE PROPS!!!! 500 cards, 35 kingdom cards! And I thought Hinderlands was good for being pure content of 26 cards and non fluf. This is amazing!

Not to mention that next to "non-obvious card execution decision making," trashing is my favorite thing to do in the game! I was very impressed by Hinderlands, and not expecting to be blown away even more with the very next chapter (of course this remains to be seen based on the exact cards, but sounds amazing so far)!

Way to go Donald and Rio Grande!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
All the cards have been designed and Donald X. V.'s brain was tapped of all dominion goodness he could offer us. Well maybe the cards for the last set aren't finalized quite yet but he's not adding any more.

I wouldn't exactly say that Donald's brain is tapped. If one went through all the playtest cards and grabbed all the rejected card ideas (those that were tested but ended up getting radically changed or deleted before publication) you could probably assemble another expansion or two full of unpublished ideas from Donald's brain. The problem is, that expansion wouldn't be very good.

And I would guess that the cards for the last set are finalized by now. There is a lead time for production, you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.