Subject: Need Help Catching the Leader(s)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rock lobster
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I read that a lot of people aren't catching the leader(s) and I personally feel this goes beyond simple Hand-management / Luck.

The secret? Good Carving, e.g. Optimal Race-line (through turns).
You'll need to slow down often--even the leaders will need to, eventually. But what you cannot afford is to BOTH slow down *and* take bad (slow; wide) Race-line(s) through turns.

1. If you're going slow, you have even more time to negotiate the optimal race-line through a turn.

2. You don't need lucky draws to achieve [3 forward; 2 drift(either direction)]. But you do need to plan it well in advance of entering the turn; both on your position inside/out of upcoming turn, and the remaining cards in your hand.

3. Find the minimal amount of DRIFT squares through the inside of the turn (tight line). Understand where you absolutely have to be to enter this line at the right speed (sweet spot). Sure, you can always go wide, but only if you're already leading--and even then only if you want to bleed speed for greater balance-bonus going into a straight.

4. Bump another sled if doing so gets you into this sweet spot. You might be better off bumping and lining up for the tight line through as opposed to wasting precious cards to avoid the bump in the first place. Often wasting card(s) to avoid a bump is worse than losing your DRAW PHASE post-bump. For two reasons, you're losing card(s) AND you're likely forced wide (slow). Rubbing *is* racing.

5. Lastly, if you must take a Speed-Dent to enter this line--given your hand... DO IT. It's often worth 1 dent just to rocket perfectly through a turn's tightest inside line. AND this means you're going 1 faster than others/leader(s) that played it safe. Balance up immediately and rocket out of the turn with bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply stated........but very true!
Snow Tails is only a game of luck if a player has no skill. Otherwise, it is a game of "luck management": here is what I've been dealt, this is where my opponents are, and there is where I want to be in no more than three turns, with little or no damage to my sled. How do I [literally] manage to do that?
A wonderful tactical game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone has the same deck too, so if someone's ahead, it may be because your fast cards are still coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smeltzer
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rainofwalrus wrote:
5. Lastly, if you must take a Speed-Dent to enter this line--given your hand... DO IT. It's often worth 1 dent just to rocket perfectly through a turn's tightest inside line. AND this means you're going 1 faster than others/leader(s) that played it safe. Balance up immediately and rocket out of the turn with bonus.

It's easy to be too scared of dents in this game. You don't want them early, but we've had a few games won by someone taking 3 or 4 on the last curve. And I once took a commanding lead by powering through a tree at speed 9, instead of slowing down and avoiding them like everyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You rarely win with no dent cards (and never with 5!), the trick is knowing when to take them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.