Subject: Hotness? Why? Reissue? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
Was surprised to see this classic of my childhood in the hotness. Is it to be reissued?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Grey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some pics recently soared to the front page of the gallery. I think that's what did it.

I really regret selling this game.

shakeshakeshake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
petegrey wrote:
Some pics recently soared to the front page of the gallery. I think that's what did it.

Guilty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
brunogaia wrote:
Was surprised to see this classic of my childhood in the hotness. Is it to be reissued?

Hotness is absolutely zero barometer of anything other than that people happen to be looking at the game a-lot within a short time span.

This could be from new images up or a heavily posted thread. And since 90% of the BGGers have no clue what the Hotness is, they will click on the game when it enters into notice and so you get a cascade effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pascal bons
France
les moitiers d'allonne
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, but if it can draw attention for a reissue, I'm with it !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be partially to blame. I found a copy and started playing it recently. LOVE it! anybody want to do a play by forum game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
I may be partially to blame. I found a copy and started playing it recently. LOVE it! anybody want to do a play by forum game?

I'm up for a PBF game.

Got the graphics nailed down already:

Course a Cyberboard game would be quicker, depending on the frequency of each players move, which in the past has boiled down to one move per month yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
brunogaia wrote:

Hotness is absolutely zero barometer of anything other than that people happen to be looking at the game a-lot within a short time span.

Which itself is notable and is exactly what is behind someone making this thread. Which makes it not "absolutely zero barometer".

Long-out-of-print games don't tend to jump up the hotness list without reason. It happens because, as you said, "people happen to be looking at the game a-lot within a short time span". The OP knows this. What he's trying to get to the bottom of is "Why have a lot of people looking at Thunder Road recently?" - because usually there's some reason, even if it is "A popular blog mentioned this game and lots of people clicked through or googled" (a common reason why things get Hotness boosts), or if it is getting talked-about and searched-for for some other reason (be it reprint news or electronic-version-adaptation news or something else).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:
brunogaia wrote:

Which itself is notable and is exactly what is behind someone making this thread. Which makes it not "absolutely zero barometer".

Long-out-of-print games don't tend to jump up the hotness list without reason. It happens because, as you said, "people happen to be looking at the game a-lot within a short time span". The OP knows this. What he's trying to get to the bottom of is "Why have a lot of people looking at Thunder Road recently?" - because usually there's some reason, even if it is "A popular blog mentioned this game and lots of people clicked through or googled" (a common reason why things get Hotness boosts), or if it is getting talked-about and searched-for for some other reason (be it reprint news or electronic-version-adaptation news or something else).

Ditto!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
@Rob: Godflesh and Jesu ROCK ! ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:
brunogaia wrote:

And sometimes its just spam and drive by curiosity. Which is still meaningless, unless you count annoyance factor as having meaning.

I'd like to see a reprint. But this is not how you go about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Diebel
United States
Phildelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
AWESOME game for a simple Milton Bradley $20 buy back when! Mad Max meets Board Game...good, simple, crash-bang fun!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Los 28
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:

"This is not how you go about it." ??
Are you saying that this is all some kind of "set-up" or conspiracy ??
This is very odd, for you (thatmarkguy) to use this "style" of language to describe "this situation."
Please explain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Los28 wrote:
thatmarkguy wrote:

This is very odd, for you (thatmarkguy) to use this "style" of language to describe "this situation."
Please explain.

You've completely blundered your quote. I never made a post like the one you quoted and attributed to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Los 28
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

thatmarkguy wrote:
Los28 wrote:
thatmarkguy wrote:

Please explain.

You've completely blundered your quote. I never made a post like the one you quoted and attributed to me.

My apologies to thatmarkguy.
I somehow did "blunder" the quote, as you (thatmarkguy) did not make it.
The quote was actually from Omega2064, five comment boxes above.
Sorry thatmarkguy ... I dont know what went wrong.
blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Los 28
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Los28 wrote:

superflypete wrote:
A certain game I am aware of got public notoriety by precisely this: a slow leak of images which were thumbed by a large group of people surrounding the designer, along with a flurry of mentions, blog posts, and an ad campaign.

This is PRECISELY how to run a campaign, using BGG's own system to create artificial buzz.

This is very interesting information !
Thank you.
ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david lefebvre
France
la chapelle sur dun
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best MB game I ever play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Los28 wrote:

Los28 wrote:

superflypete wrote:
A certain game I am aware of got public notoriety by precisely this: a slow leak of images which were thumbed by a large group of people surrounding the designer, along with a flurry of mentions, blog posts, and an ad campaign.

This is PRECISELY how to run a campaign, using BGG's own system to create artificial buzz.

This is very interesting information !
Thank you.
ninja

I truly believe that, things being what they are, you could sell sh... to thousands of people and have the same people totaly ignore a new marvel.

Look at music for example, have you ever read Lady Gaga's lyrics? (listening to her voice I wouldn't recommend, it can be dangerous for the nerves) XD

Anyway, it's obvious that in gaming nowadays, creating buzz on BGG (artificially or not, or both) has become absolutely necessary to sell a game (or project)

One little thing that still bugs me when I think of it: Zombicide got a more than 700 000£ pledge for A LOT OF (one has to admit) plastic, a few rules (not even a proper PDF of the rules) and NO REVIEWS, none, nada, zilch.
ANd the game cost 100£...

Okaaaay, so that means that with the buzz you can have people buying 100£ apiece products (WITHOUT some extras!!!!) with them not having a clue if they're spending their hard-earned bucks on a good game or just on tons of plastic and the possibility of playing the cardboard-tube samourai...
Meh, Meh, MEH!

On the other hand, the second edition of Omen didn't seem to generate enough buzz, so that there are a lot of people complaining that they couldn't get the Kickstarter extras (which were a truly gorgeous package!)

Oh well, I can't complain, I got that Omen beauty XD!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:
marhawkman wrote:
I'm up for a PBF game.

Got the graphics nailed down already:

Course a Cyberboard game would be quicker, depending on the frequency of each players move, which in the past has boiled down to one move per month yuk
Awesome! My experience with Risk Legacy PBF is approx 1 move a day. Slow but not horrible.
Omega2064 wrote:
thatmarkguy wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:
brunogaia wrote:

And sometimes its just spam and drive by curiosity. Which is still meaningless, unless you count annoyance factor as having meaning.

In this case it was at least partly due to me finding a copy, playing it, deciding I liked it, and coming here to read the variants forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Theissen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or maybe someone wanted to sell thier copy for a good price on Ebay?
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
people still want to do Play by Forum?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Keifer
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for the kind words (Thunder road inventor).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Want to do Play By Forum?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.