Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
Its listed with a weight rating of 3.5 which I think is fair, but its a gam where the depth is real, and not padded by extraneous rules overhead and complexity.

I fail to see what Tigris & Euphrates has to do with anatomy.ninja

Wonderful, comprehensive review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wowsers! My po' lil eyeballs just rolled out of my head and plopped onto the floor, pleading for a break! Okay, so I got about a third of the way through, then started scrolling, and then hit the (likely misformatted) section of tiny-font quotes, which I trust you'll fix when you discover it. Highly entertaining read so far, and I'll be back, but right now I have to go let those peepers of mine take a nap; they's just plumb wore out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent review. That's all I can say.

Well worth reading
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M T
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Awesome review! You have a very interesting theme insight, I've been thinking of the same thing about board games themes the past week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian B.
Denmark
Frederiksberg C
flag msg tools
I don't design games, I play them!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The review is a bit too short for my taste...

Great review of a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hust read your review and I got one of those uncritical and very unscientific WHOAH moments.

That was an entertaining and great review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You had me at {Voice of Incompetence} then proceeded to lose me at (and 38 very stupid people rate it a 1 would you believe).

Still trying to wrap your head around this whole subjective opinion thing, apparently? The dislike for a game does not rate someone as stupid.

So, I decided to look into the 1 ratings for this game:

29 offer no reason.

A majority of the remaining 9 offer reasonable assessments as to why they dislike the game.

So, I can only come to the conclusion that your highly subjective statement is, well, STUPID!

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - Defies description as a game. Clearly broken.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really did have an editor this would be a truly excellent review. Anyway, wading through, trying to find the nuggets of wisdom, I do find it brilliant in places. Your description of the thematic depth of T&E is outstanding. And your assessment of strategy and tactics, well I'm hoping they will be good when I get around to finishing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
All I know is I ain't reading that quoted stuff until it gets unquoted. Type that small just makes my eyeballs feel like they're being squeezed through a wormhole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Browser zoom? I know what you mean though, possibly not the best choice, Lee, as those are the most interesting parts of the review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
DNA results: 50% West Europe; 19% Great Britain; 16% Ireland; 8% Scandinavian; 4% Iberian Peninsula; 2% Italy/Greece; 1% West Asia; -1% Middle East
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
treasures - at the end of a turn if there are any kingdoms containing more than 1 treasure and a "Merchant" (a green leader), the owner of that merchant takes all but 1 treasure from that kingdom,

I was thinking that at the end of an action (first or second) that the treasure was taken, instead of at the end of the turn (second action). I realize this is a long review, and maybe this is just an oversight - or am I wrong - I don't have rules here before me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
re: the comparison to chess
I like the chess thing. Its a very good comparison, and I've actually been musing on this for years.

Unfortunately chess players seem to be one-game players. I have not found a single chess player willing to learn T&E.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished the "who are you" section, may have to pick up the rest tomorrow.

I'm sure some layer of this text is a T&E review. It also appears to be a "State of Boardgaming" address and a direct, raw feed from Lee's consciousness.

I'm rather enjoying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:

I'm rather enjoying it.

blush I probably should try to get out more often

Speaking of getting out, will you be making your way across the pond anytime soon? I think I still owe you a pint.

Btw, I am in the same boat. I hope to have time to sit down and read this through sometime soon. I thought my contest reveiw was long but I think you tripled it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
{Voice of Incompetence}

I'm pretty sure you meant "Voice of Incontinence", Lee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"I apologize profusely for my failings in exploring this game in the detail it deserves."

So why did you enter this review in the contest?

I've played this 16 times and feel far from qualified to write an in-depth review suitable for the contest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SC Shin
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow....

I thought i was reading a game's review. then, i read "who am i" and "who you are" section. then i think what am i reading?

wondering how many hours you invest for this writing....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SC Shin
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just checked your profile.
Surprised to see the number of your previous owned games(515)
How did it happen? just curious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
skytostar wrote:
I just checked you profile.
Surprised to see the number of your previous owned games(515)
How did it happen? just curious

Mutant puffin apocalypse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Just wow.

An awesome review for my favorite game of all time. You have set a new standard for comprehensive exhaustive game reviews. I am thoroughly impressed.

I'm looking forward to the next one, but I realize I'll probably have to wait 5 years to allow you the time necessary to write it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C-DAWG!
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drakkenstrike, if you're there, we need a five-minute "Components Breakdown"-style summary of this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Sonnenberg
United States
New Ulm
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
glsonn wrote:
"I apologize profusely for my failings in exploring this game in the detail it deserves."

So why did you enter this review in the contest?

I've played this 16 times and feel far from qualified to write an in-depth review suitable for the contest.

As I thought I'd pointed out, I wanted to share my passion for the game and try to appeal to players who've not tried it yet, or are put off by some of the comments about its lack of theme, difficult rules etc. If the review has convinced a few people to try the game in a positive frame of mind that wouldn't have tried it otherwise, I'll be happy with that.

Those are all great reasons for writing a review. However, that is not the point of the contest. The point of the contest was to pick a game that you feel as though you have explored in depth and write a review that explains what you've learned in those plays. You clearly state that you don't feel your review does this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the point of the contest was:

Quote:
• to promote critical analysis of board games that goes beyond a summary of the rules, pictures of the components and a brief opinion of the game;
• to encourage in-depth exploration of games in a community that tends to be dominated by first impressions.

If you seriously don't think Lee has done that in his 21,000 words here, I don't really know what to say...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Sonnenberg
United States
New Ulm
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really not trying to discount anything that Lee has written in regards to the review. It's obvious that there is a lot of material here that serves a useful purpose. However, based on the purpose of the contest as quoted above compared to the following quote from Lee:

Quote:
I apologize profusely for my failings in exploring this game in the detail it deserves. No, I know I wrote a lot, but it feels like it was a bit too much filler and not enough fillet for such an incredible design and wonderful game.

It appears as if Lee is saying that he feels it doesn't meet the criteria. If he thinks it's too much filler and not enough fillet, how is it "[going] beyond a summary of the rules, pictures of the components and a brief opinion of the game?"

I'm not trying to argue that he isn't meeting the qualifications (it appears that he is), just that he appears to contradict it himself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.