Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
266 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: WhatToPlay Deluxe: A NEW Version of the Downloadable Game Selection Tool rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: xmlapi [+] software [+] [View All]
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A new version of the popular game collection app WhatToPlay is now available: WhatToPlay Deluxe!

WhatToPlay Deluxe lets you load multiple collections from BoardGameGeek, VideoGameGeek, and RPGGeek, then filter by number of players, rating, ranking, playing time, weight, mechanics, and much more. You can view details, comments and polls about each game, or use the randomizer to help you choose. You can even export your results from grid view for later use.

The program works in Windows, Mac, and Linux. It is built on the Adobe AIR framework.

Download here: http://s3.amazonaws.com/WhatToPlay/download.html. If you don't already have the AIR framework, that will install first. It's a simple and very light installation.

If you download WhatToPlay Deluxe and try it, I would love to hear your feedback! Please send me a private message or post in this thread with your feedback. I've spent a lot of time and hard work on the program, and I want it to be a valued tool for BGG members. Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
WhatToPlay Deluxe F.A.Q.
F.A.Q.

Does the app cost anything?
WhatToPlay Deluxe is completely free to download and use, forever.

What's been improved in this new version of the app?
New features include:
- Load multiple users' collections (by usernames), or a guild (by guild ID)
- View VideoGameGeek and RPGGeek collections, as well as BoardGameGeek
- Export your results to a .csv file to open with Excel or other spreadsheet app
- New filters, a better view into which filters you are currently using, and the ability to save and load filter sets
- Smarter and quicker saving/updating of locally stored data
- General improvements to performance and speed

Are you going to create an iOS/Android version?
At this time, I have no plans to create a mobile version. If anyone else would like to take on the task, I would gladly aid in any way I could.

If I have the original WhatToPlay application, will downloading this overwrite it?
WhatToPlay Deluxe is treated as a separate application, and will not overwrite the original app (though it is intended to replace it in your hearts.)

How can I make sure I have the latest version of WhatToPlay Deluxe?
Once you install the app, it will do a quick online check for an update every time it runs, and notify you if an update is available. If in doubt, the download page linked above will always have the latest version.

I started the app, and it's taking a while to load. Is this going to happen every time?
The first time WhatToPlay Deluxe loads a user's collection, it may take a few minutes if you are loading thousands of games. After that, though, it will use the information it has cached and load very quickly, until you decide you want to update it again. The new version is even more intelligent than the original in quickly and easily caching information locally to speed up the loading process.

Is there a microbadge for WhatToPlay Deluxe?
I recommend the original WhatToPlay microbadge, created by Topper Harley. Just click this image: mb

I found a bug, or have a feature request. How should I let you know?
Please either send me a private message or post in this thread. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenden Johnson
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of your hard work, Dave. It looks great and I can't wait to try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe Thorsen
Denmark
Odense M
Odense M
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

My antivirus software doesn't like What to Play, what's up?
Nothing, the program is legit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
IvanHo wrote:
My antivirus software doesn't like What to Play, what's up?
Nothing, the program is legit.

Thanks, IvanHo. The application is not Adobe certified because it would cost me money to do so, so it may appear as a suspicious item in some antivirus software. I have nothing to give but my word on this one, but I do give that: This application is 100% virus and spyware free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!!!! This will help me survive the next BGG outage AND its really nice to have a backup of my collection that I can access offline!

You my friend is full of AWESOME!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Basem C
United Arab Emirates
Dubai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great!! Thanks for taking the time to do this.

One quick suggestion, can we save the manually hidden games along with the filter set?

Whenever I load a filter set, I'd like it to load exactly what I had selected on screen when I saved the filter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Rattner
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
People humiliating a salami
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like it makes a great tool even better!

"Feature creep" request: is it possible to display your number of plays of a game in the area where it shows your rating and status/comments?

In any case, have some !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[maˈtiːas]
Germany
Much
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried downloading with firefox and rekonq on Linux (kubuntu 12.04), but the installer wants to install the air-framework and fails reproducible. I have the latest version installed, so no need for installing it again. Therefore I peeked at the sourcecode of your html-file and downloaded https://s3.amazonaws.com/WhatToPlay/WhatToPlayDeluxe.air - that works fine. Thanks for providing this excellent tool, even if it's a bit cumbersome to get.

One suggestion: "mins." could be omitted - at least for the csv export.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaj
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yzemaze wrote:
I tried downloading with firefox and rekonq on Linux (kubuntu 12.04), but the installer wants to install the air-framework and fails reproducible. I have the latest version installed, so no need for installing it again. Therefore I peeked at the sourcecode of your html-file and downloaded https://s3.amazonaws.com/WhatToPlay/WhatToPlayDeluxe.air - that works fine. Thanks for providing this excellent tool, even if it's a bit cumbersome to get.

One suggestion: "mins." could be omitted - at least for the csv export.

Confirming that the installer doesn't seem to work on linux. But the application does! Great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thargorx wrote:
Confirming that the installer doesn't seem to work on linux. But the application does! Great work!

I've added a message to the download page that should help users experiencing issues with the installer badge. Thanks for the feedback, guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
Thank you!!!! This will help me survive the next BGG outage AND its really nice to have a backup of my collection that I can access offline!

If you really thought that you would share a link to the full hi-res version of your avatar. Just sayin'... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pdoherty wrote:
Garfink wrote:

If you really thought that you would share a link to the full hi-res version of your avatar. Just sayin'... :whistle:

You know, I used to have one and can't find it anymore. I know it's a painting of the Greek deity Selene. I'd love to have it back; I think it's a great image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günther
Germany
Blieskastel
Saarland
flag msg tools
FFFFFF
badge
mb
Looks great! But I found a bug.

The filter "(Poll) Suggested Age" doesn't work properly. Or "At least 100% of voters" suggested that Starcraft: The Boardgame is suitable for children aged 4 (or lower). surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Howell                (What's Right?) (What's Wrong?)        
United States
Canoga Park
California
flag msg tools
Brought to you by Zik Zak
badge
Brought to you by Zik Zak
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilikai wrote:
You know, I used to have one and can't find it anymore. I know it's a painting of the Greek deity Selene. I'd love to have it back; I think it's a great image.

Done and done: http://drunkcle.tumblr.com/post/17589957145/msbehavoyeur-sel...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil Knivel wrote:
Looks great! But I found a bug.

The filter "(Poll) Suggested Age" doesn't work properly. Or "At least 100% of voters" suggested that Starcraft: The Boardgame is suitable for children aged 4 (or lower). :surprise:

Thanks for letting me know. I'll take a look.

badgeguy wrote:
Wilikai wrote:

Nice! Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, the "Group Rating" seems to be just "My Rating" in BGG. How does "Group Rating" work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
Hi, the "Group Rating" seems to be just "My Rating" in BGG. How does "Group Rating" work?

Group Rating is useful if you'd loaded in the collection of more than one user. Then it will average all of the ratings for the group for each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilikai wrote:
pdoherty wrote:
Garfink wrote:

If you really thought that you would share a link to the full hi-res version of your avatar. Just sayin'... whistle

Not yours... the guy with avatar of a well-filled Commdore t-shirt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
badgeguy wrote:
Wilikai wrote:

Wrong pic/avatar...

yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geekgirl123
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!!!

I've been waiting for this for a while and I'm so glad it is back and better then ever. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was so excited when I found this post, it was like I had just bought a new game.

The Deluxe version looks fantastic.
Thanks for all the work you have put into this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thompson
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, amazing and fantastic!

Updated this geeklist with the new thread: Software Tools for Board Games, RPG's and BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Horvath
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great news. I use this app all the time. Nice work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Adobe Air for Linux is no longer supported"

Bastards angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.