Subject: Painting Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Becker
United States
Seneca Falls
New York
flag msg tools
Hey, I was thinking about painting (and no, I am not smoking crack). I have a pretty good idea as far as what I am going to do but wanted to know what other people had tried and more importantly, what worked and what didn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Clark
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about 3/5 the way through painting my TI3 set. I've spray painted each of the colors and then dry brushed them with a slightly different color. Once that is finished I'll wash the whole lot with a polyurethane wood stain to bring out the detail. I'll post some photos once completed. Let me know if you'd like more info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Becker
United States
Seneca Falls
New York
flag msg tools
More info would be great. I think I have a basice idea as far as a paint scheme, but was just curious about what others had done. I was a bit nervous about such an undertaking, but I came to the realization that any paint would be better than a solid bright yellow, red, blue, or what have you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Clark
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the steps I have taken, or will take, to complete painting my TI3 miniatures. Like you I wanted to play with pieces that were a bit more detailed than the plain plastic.

1) Washed all the sprues with in a tub of warm soapy water, rinsed thoroughly
2) Snipped all pieces from the spures using a pair of wire cutters and shaved off the remaining tabs with an x-acto knife (two evenings, ~4 hours)
3) Spray painted each set with a complementary color. I used an enamel based satin finish. If I had this to do again I would select an acrylic spray paint instead, but those are usually found in arts & craft shops.
4) Dry brushed (see http://www.paintingclinic.com/clinic/clinic.htm) all of the miniatures with a much brighter color than the original base coat.
5) Finally I will wash each of these miniatures with a polyurethane wood stain, a technique often termed "dipping" (see http://www-personal.umich.edu/~beattie/dip.html)
6) Final touch will be to seal the miniatures with a gloss coat, followed by a flat coat, and then a matt coat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a second copy a spray painted four sets of units to make all ten races. It took a while to find colors and paints I like.

I'd recommend Tamiya, which seems to be better than Testors or Model Masters. It has been particularly hard to find a good orange color.

Since I used Risk 2210 MODs for Ground Forces, I also hand painted the flags to be leaders. You have to touch them up, but Testors worked fine.

L

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Becker
United States
Seneca Falls
New York
flag msg tools
Ok, I have been painting now for about a week. I am getting better with each color set (and faster). However I seem to be breaking quite a few rukes when it comes to painting minis as a friend of mine who stopped by this weekend and went ballistic when he saw what I was doing (he has been painting for awhile). However, I am pleased with how they came out. I will list the steps I have taken in hopes of helping others who decide to paint.

First I trim all of the excess crap off the mini. Most of the minis don't have alot of crap on them, but I find that 2-3 out each group (fighters, cruisers ect.) have more than the others.

Next, with a $.50 toothbrush I got at wal-mart and dawn dish detergent, I scrub all the mold lube off.

Next I prime them with Testors flat black. This is were my friend started to have issues. He stated that where minis are concearned, enamel paint was of the devil?? He urged me to purchase acyrlic paints (such as citadel). Truthfully though, considering that the minis are plastic, and that all I am doing is painting them silver, and then adding color highlights to distinguish one group from the other the cheap testors paint kit I bought works fine.
Anyways...

Next, I paint the minis silver. I have been able to cover everything with only one coat of paint.

Then I make a wash by mixing a small amount of black with some thinner, and apply 1 thin coat and then gently pat down with a small cotton rag. So far, this has worked out wonderfully in bringing out the detail in each model.

I then add the color highlights to match with the origonal color of the model before I started (red, blue, yellow, green, black, and purple).

Finally after that I spray on a thin layer of clear coat. I have been using the krylon satin finish.

As for the cost of the supplies, I got everything I needed for under $30. I picked up the flat enamel set of testors at wall-mart which included every color I nedded except the purple for $10. While the set comes with the standard 3 brushes, I also purchased a finer brush for $1.25 which I use alot. I bought 2 spray cans of flat black at $1.75 each, along with an extra bottle of thinner, and a bottle of purple at $.75 each. Finally, the krylon satin clear coat was $2.50.

While using the "evil" enamel paints on minis is generally a bad thing, for the twilight imperium they are just fine. I have had no problems with them what so ever. However, keep in mind that T.I. minis consist soley of ships and markers rather than people, and creatures. So save yourself some cash and go with the cost-effective testors paints.

However, once I have finshed painting T.I. I will begin working on DOOM, War of the Ring, and Descent (once it finally comes out). Those games include figurines with many different colors, textures, and shades. For those I will get into the acrylics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Clark
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like an interesting technique. Post a photo of your completed set when you get the painting done. I don't think using enamel paints is a problem. The gut level reaction of your miniature painting friend to use acrylics is to be expected. IMO acrylic paints give a softer finish and blend more nicely than enamels. However, enamels are far more durable. Heck in the dark ages of wargaming (late 70s early 80s) just all miniatures were painted with enamels. Acrylics are far more suitable for some of the advanced techniques: washes, dry brushing, highlighting, etc. But it sounds like you are getting some great results, so don't let someone's hidebound reaction influence your technique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zurk burk
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi guys,

some questions on painting. i have seen so many nice looking ti3 minis that i want to get mine painted too. i have never done paintjobs before. is it recommandalbe for a newb like me to start doing it or u think ill mess it up ?
how long does it take to finish some kind of job? what mix of painting mechancis would u prefer to achieve a good (good not excellent) result? what is the simplest way to do it? finaly what does it cost ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zahm wrote:
hi guys,

some questions on painting. i have seen so many nice looking ti3 minis that i want to get mine painted too. i have never done paintjobs before. is it recommandalbe for a newb like me to start doing it or u think ill mess it up ?
how long does it take to finish some kind of job? what mix of painting mechancis would u prefer to achieve a good (good not excellent) result? what is the simplest way to do it? finaly what does it cost ?

For a painting noob, I'd highly recommend drybrushing. It is a very easy technique, and it looks great. I've only recently started painting minis, and I like the way mine have come out. See these pics for examples:

The gold pieces were done with drybrushing. It's not expensive. You just need a can of spray paint for your base, and then small bottles for the highlight colors. You should also get a clear matte spray as a final coat.

For instructions, just search "drybrushing" on YouTube. That's how I learned. And this forum post for painting BSG minis also inspired me:
The Reluctant Painter's Guide to Painting your BSG Ships

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.