BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: How many language to publish?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vence venec
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Hi! One question..

Normally, how many types of language to publish for a new game? I am developing one now and wonder how many language do i need to publish in if i am targeting Europe market?

thanks
Vence

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McKenzie
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This can be quite variable.

One big factor is how language dependant he components are or is the rule book the only language dependant item.

English and German would be a minimum starting point in my opinion. French and Spanish should also be seriously considered.

From there it may depend on the type of game and if it targets a specific audience (Like a game set in Italy or Norway for example)

Also releasing an electronic form of the rules and allowing people to post translations here on BGG can be a viable path to additional languages being supported (There are some great translations for existing games here on BGG many times with corrections to mistakes in the printed manuals)

Just to be clear though I am not a game designer or a game publisher and although I know a few of them that does not mean you should make financial decisions based on my opinions

I would recomend taking a look at some of the successful small publisher games and take a lead from how they approached it.

Best Wishes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Butlerian Atreides
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hands off!
badge
Are you eyeballing me?
mbmbmb
English should be fine most Europeans are capable of reading that. The ones not capable should get their arrogant asses kicked and learn It. Also if you get the game here at BGG someone is bound to translate it to their native language.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
Rijkevorsel
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
These languages are used mostly in rulebooks in Europe International releases. I've placed them in order.

1. English
2. German
3. French

These three are absolutely necessary if you want to have a regular European release.

4. Spanish
5. Dutch

These are very usefull if you want to have a large European release. If you have these five, you shouldn't worry at all. Ravensburger does these 5 languages I think, and other language independent releases usually have these 5.

6. Italian
7. Polish
8. Finnish

These countries have a good boardgame community, it appears. I see these languages coming up more and more.

9. Others

This is just my impression, it isn't science. I don't see many Scandinavian languages though, but whenever I meet a Scandinavian, his/her English is flawless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can get a translation into English then it's easy to get it translated into German, French, and Spanish. Once you've pulled those languages in, it should be even easier to cover the rest of Europe and South America. I couldn't tell you what the best gateway language for East Asia would be, but English, French, and maybe Portugese might work.

Our recent GotW may have better insights for Asia.
Kwang Il Kim
South Korea
Seoul
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Butlerian wrote:
English should be fine most Europeans are capable of reading that.

You may be projecting from your local experience. E.g. I noticed that there was not a separate section of English books when I looked in various bookstores in Netherlands: Dutch and English books on a given subject were all mixed together. In other European countries I've visited, English books are in a separate section of foreign language books.

And in any case, a lot of people who can read English don't necessarily do so easily, and would greatly prefer to read game rules in their own language instead of English. There's a reason popular games published with English rules later get localized to other languages.

Quote:
The ones not capable should get their arrogant asses kicked and learn It.

What in the world is arrogant about someone living in a non-English speaking country not knowing English? It seems far more arrogant to expect everyone to learn English.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Butlerian Atreides
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hands off!
badge
Are you eyeballing me?
mbmbmb
russ wrote:
Butlerian wrote:
The ones not capable should get their arrogant asses kicked and learn It.

What in the world is arrogant about someone living in a non-English speaking country not knowing English? It seems far more arrogant to expect everyone to learn English.

I was revering to the people who have the means to learn English and probably can speak and read it, but just don't want to speak it because they think they are to good for that. And yes there are a couple of countries in Europe where that is the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.