Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Conclusion: No ball hiding here. This is a sub par quick filler game. As a two player game, there doesn't seem to be a lot of game here. If you guess the wrong building, you can quickly lose the game. I would find a better game to play than this if I had an extra 15-20 minutes. With that said, for a quick game, it has tile laying and that will appeal to some people. For a game from 1991, this game has not aged well. Just play a game of Carc instead of this.

Components: The gang works are parts from Sorry (or something similar). They do not look like people (I assume they are meant to be people working on the railroad). The board itself is nice and colorful. The cards are all the same regardless of what player you are with the same artwork. The tiles are nice, but don't vary much and at time it is hard to see which way the river is flowing or the roads are going. The tracks are pretty clear, but we had a couple of questions we had to agree to answer. Overall, I'm not real happy with the components, but the game is meant to be a quick filler game and with quick filler games I don't expect great bits.

Rules: We read and learned the rules while we played our first game and I don't believe we made any mistakes. I guess that means the rules did their job. With that said, I'm still unsure of the end of game scoring whether the numbers by the buildings are just numbering the amount of buildings or if you get 3 VP for that building and 5 VP for that building (so a scored of 8 VP or 2 VP). The rules are not clear on this at all (and there is no example of final game scoring). There is a lack of examples throughout the rule book (to be fair, there are a couple of examples).

Flow of Game: This game is easy to play. You get a group of tiles and you play one at a time alternating with the other players. Roads go with Roads, water with water, and rails with rails. Simple. When you lay a tile, you move the worker to the end of the tile. At the start of the game, you get a card with a building on it. You want to prevent that building from being built over. If an outhouse is built over you vote (via your cards) on whether the tile will be laid or not. That is pretty much the game and it can be taught in 2 minutes.

Should you buy this?: I will say no. While a short game, I would recommend playing Carc instead or any numerous other games. I am not sure my copy will stay in the house or if it will be shipped out. I'm leaning towards letting this one go to a new house. I'd say unless you get it really cheap you should pass (and even then buy a candy bar instead).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Crawford
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You only mention 2-player, so I'm not sure if you did play it with more players as well. But it's definitely a better game with more players. I can't imagine playing it with just 2, but I think it's a very good game with 4. More interesting than Carcassonne in terms of deduction and interaction with the other players, although obviously less combinations of tile-laying and scoring. Nonetheless, well-done negative review, which are always good to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks - will pass - even for cheap
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.