Subject: Playing with my son for the first time . . . worth the wait. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While observing the boys at the library game club I run play with the cars during a game of Order Up like they were armed and out to destroy eachother while on their pizza runs, I decided it was time to expose them to all the goodness that is Thunder Road.

My son is six (the other kids are slightly older but have less exposure to games other than what I have shown them) and he has never played any kind of game like this before - I've been waiting until he was ready for it. I decided I would teach it to him one on one at home so he would have a fighting chance against the older kids when we play with the group.

Last night I read him the rules during dinner - I waited until he had heard them before I revealed the game itself. He went nuts over the car and chopper components, the board and the way cool Australian version Mad Max-ish box artwork of my copy. We set it up on the floor and started playing immediately, each taking two teams of vehicles.

He took right to it, to my utter delight, angling his cars on to the road surface for speed bonuses, crashing at me with Ramming Attacks and blazing at me with Shooting Attacks and raking my cars with fire from those cursed choppers! Thing is; he was doing everything right but the dice weren't with him - he wasn't scoring many hits on me.

Especially troubling to him was my lead car which stubbornly survived multiple attacks from all manner of his weapon-riddled hulks. It didn't help him that I eventually found it necessary to keep shouting out deep-voiced taunts like "HA HA HA! YOU CAN NEVER DESTROY MY GRAY DUNE BUGGY OF INVINCIBILITY!!"

He kept trying and as they must, the dice turned in his favor and he started decimating me with those flippin' choppers. And soon, I got to see him jump up, with his arms over his head like Rocky Balboa, and shout, "YES!! YES!! I HAVE DESTROYED THE GRAY DUNE BUGGY OF INVIS...inbil...abil...ABILNESS!! I DID IT!! I DID IT!"

Awesome.

He eventually whittled me down to just one car and I had to try to ram it through a wreck to try to keep it alive before the board flipped. I failed. He won . . . and said . . .

"Dad, let's play it again!"

Mission accomplished.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Elrick
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had similar experiences with my 4 and 6 year old boys. They love the game and it's their current go-to when asked what game they want to play. They LOVE the fact that they can typically shoot down my cars with ease. It doesn't hurt that I tend to put all my cars in harms way more often than not. Actually, I can't seem to remember the last time I won...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're a good dad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarge in charge!
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
Why should I fret in microcosmic bonds / That chafe the spirit, and the mind repress / When through the clouds gleam beckoning beyonds / Whose shining vistas mock man's littleness?
mbmbmbmb
Ahh, the fun of being a child that gets to play cool boardgames with its dad.

Keep up the good work.thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor X

New York
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely played.

"JUST WALK AWAY FROM THE BLACK JUICE DAD, AND THERE CAN BE AN END TO THE HORROR!!!!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job dude! I can't wait for more session reports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Klapper
msg tools
I've been playing games like this with my son since he was your son's age.
This weekend I'm running Thunder Road with Lego cars at Fire and Ice Convention.
My son, is now 25, and runnng Minotarus, Mississippi Queen, and Battlemasters there this weeknd.
So congratulations to having your son playing, and know that there are kids that keep doing games with their dads when the get older (hoping none of us ever grow up)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
N Klapper wrote:
I've been playing games like this with my son since he was your son's age.
This weekend I'm running Thunder Road with Lego cars at Fire and Ice Convention.
My son, is now 25, and runnng Minotarus, Mississippi Queen, and Battlemasters there this weeknd.
So congratulations to having your son playing, and know that there are kids that keep doing games with their dads when the get older (hoping none of us ever grow up)!

Nice! I game my son Minotaurus for Christmas this year and he's already made up his own rules for it.

See also: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/912279/risk-tego-a-6-yea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.