Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Conclusion: This is not going to be purged..yet. I almost got rid of this game on multiple occasions, but I could not get anyone to take it from me. So, I finally had a friend over and we had about 15 minutes left to play a game so I picked this game. The rules were simple but her first quote was "This looks about as dumb as Ave Caesar (a game that bombed for my group).

As we played more and more we both liked the game more and more. Let me be clear, this is not a big game with a lot of things moving around the board. This is a simple game with a simple "pirate" theme.

Even so, the game has strategy and is fun to play. You can learn the game in about 2 minutes and your choices really depend on what your opponent does. I would recommend this game, but like most filler games you don't want to play too much in too close a time.

Components: The components are fine. The wooden people of different colors are of good stock (and not made of cheap plastic). The tiles that make up the board are of fine stock and the art work on them while the same thing over and over is fine to look at it. The cards are small, but they don't really need to be sleeved. Everything gets the job done, looks good, but won't "wow" you either. This is not Earth Reborn.

Rules: The rules are simple and require no preparations. They are a small square and are just the front and back. The rules can be picked up and learned during the first move. They do a fine job explaining everything and there is even a variant included.

Flow of the Game: There are two versions: the Jamaica (cards are hidden from the other player) and the Tortuga (your cards are laid on the table and seen by everyone). I prefer the Jamaica version, but the Tortuga requires more skill and cunning (and adds a tad more AP).

The board is laid out (it is modular so it is different each time you play). On your turn you get a choice to play a card and advance a pirate or move a pirate backwards and pick up one or two cards (one card if there is one pirate there and two if there are two; if there are three you skip it and keep moving back further). You are allowed to make this choice between 1 to 3 times per turn. You can move different pirates (of your color only) frontwards or backwards. The game ends when you move all 6 of your pirates the length of the board (and into the waiting ship).

That is the entire game and the entire rule book. The rest of the book is example of unique situations.

Should I buy this: Maybe. If the game is cheap enough and you want a quick paced filler, this could be the game. Your kids will likely be able to pick this game up pretty fast. With that said, it does have strategy and I do feel like the best player won. That is about all you can ask from a simple game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Winston-salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You did well to keep it. Play with Max people and it gets real exciting.

Play the version where your cards and the draw pile is visable and it moves beyond filler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
one of my 1st 4 games i think great with non-gamers & kids,
i agree hard brain burner with hand visible if you want a cut throat game :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I play this game on line at youplay.it every day. It's just a neat game.

With the deck and hands visible it becomes *incredibly* thinky. If you want a real calculation game, that's it.

There are some neat variations out there, including Cartagena 2. The Pirate's Nest and Atlantis. I'd love to hear about other games which are essentially variations on Cartagena.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
Buena Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could be mistaken, but I thought you counted your own pirate when moving backwards; so, two cards if there's one pirate, three cards if there's two...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Winston-salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pacman88k wrote:
I could be mistaken, but I thought you counted your own pirate when moving backwards; so, two cards if there's one pirate, three cards if there's two...

No you either get one or two cards. It goes by how many were already there. If there are alreaddy three you skip them and go back farther.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play this and Cartagena 2. The Pirate's Nest fairly often and prefer Cartagena by a small margin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this passes the my-wife-likes-to-play category, so its a keeper.

for now ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.