Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Conclusion: This game is okay. It has its pluses. I like real time aspect, although in the end this is what I end up not liking about it (I'll get into it in a minute). The game plays fast and each round is over in a matter of minutes. It plays well to the theme without being a simulation by any stretch of the means. It is a fast paced card game, but the problem is if your mind works fast (not necessarily best), then you will crush your opponent.

The real time means everything moves very fast. You have to think fast, move fast, and react fast. At times, it moves too fast (of course this depends on your opponent and you). I never got time to think about my moves as my opponent was always quick to throw down cards and end the round (my opponent lost every single round). She isn't the best player to play games with, but I can usually see if I would like the game or not by playing with her. In this case, I feel the game is okay, but I'd rather play other games and perhaps other fillers.

With that said, a couple of young boys would love this game! When I was a kid, I would have eaten this game up for sure! Your mileage may vary.

Components: The components are fine, although I do have complaints. The card stock for the "boxers" should have been thicker. The cards need to be of better stock (although they are fine and not cheap), but in this game you are trying to be quick and throw down cards fast; this means they might get bent easier. The energy tokens and clinch and bell chits are of very nice quality. If you really like this game, I'd say get a back up copy.

Rules: The rules honestly need a summary. A player aid would have been really nice. The game is not complicated, but each page basically gets a new rule. Although normally a game of this size you would not need to study before playing, I'd recommend it with this game because it moves so fast. You don't have time to stop and ask a question (the game is real time so it can't really be stopped). A quick, small reference by each player would have been nice. The trick isn't the rules are complicated, it is just the game moves so fast it is easy to not think about this or that.

Flow of Play: The basic concept is each boxer has a head and two sides of the body (so three total places to play cards). The opponent will have to piles of cards (a left and a right) and these piles are your right punches and left. You slap cards down on your opponents (and he does on you). This is done in real time. There are a couple of extra rules to block (you can slap a card down on your guy to block), combinations can be thrown (you have for a stack of cards on the table that have ex: jab, hook, cross and if you get that combo showing on the opponent, then you can grab the bonus card) and there are rules for clinging. My point here isn't to explain the rules, but more for you to see the flow.

Let me explain more clearly (or at least I hope). While you are slapping cards down on your opponent from your two stacks (you must you use your left and right hands to do so), you are looking at 2 other stacks that might be able to land you extra points if you meet the criteria printed on that card (a certain combination or a certain type of card). This requires fast thinking as your opponent is slapping cards down on you at the same time and can end the round at anytime after using his cards by ringing the bell (but if he does he loses 5 points). At the same time, certain cards can take health away from you (you have 5 to start and if you get to 0 and lose another one you can be knocked out).

So, there are 5-6 things going on at any one time and you have plenty of options. This is magnified by the fact everything is occurring in real time and you don't want your opponent to get too far ahead of you.

Scoring is easy (and I'm not going to include every scoring rule), but the basics is you should end with 3 piles of cards (as will your opponent). You get to eliminate one pile from scoring, as does he, so normally the "middle" pile will be scored. Only one pile will be scored. This keeps you from stacking all your cards to the "head" or the "right side of the body". You have to put the cards in separate equal piles, or your score will be low. Blocks can take away the high points also.

Should I buy this game?: I think this is going to depend on your playing habits. If you have a couple of players that want something quick that is really requires a lot of speed to play, then it is a yes. I think a couple of small boys will like this game, but the length is pretty short. You are basically just slapping cards down fast and trying hard to react if you are eligible for a "bonus".

The game is so different than everything else that I'm afraid to purge it. I might keep it for a while, but I won't really play it. I think if I was going to play with a young kid, I'd introduce one rule every 2-3 games and just keep regular punches and may combos in at first. I think a 6-7 year would get beat an older person nearly every time. Although a teenager would be good at this game. But what do I know?

Overall, I'd recommend passing unless you specifically need/want a game like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Saya
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game's unique qualities make it a difficult one to purge: the left hand/right hand aspect of play in particular is really special. Although I haven't played much--the realtime aspect of play leaves me with few potential opponents among my gaming friends--I can't see getting rid of this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Freshmaker
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been beaten by my 9 year old son every time we've played this. He kills me with the Haymakers. I'm just not good at speed games. I'm happy to play this with him though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
raile wrote:
I have been beaten by my 9 year old son every time we've played this. He kills me with the Haymakers. I'm just not good at speed games. I'm happy to play this with him though.

Since he's 9, you should probably let him win. BUT, if someone starts flying through their deck going for haymakers, I recommend sitting back and playing defensively. Play slow, block his haymakers when they come up, and mostly look for counter punches. If you place a handful of counter punches, your opponent will either slow down or lose....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msaya wrote:
This game's unique qualities make it a difficult one to purge: the left hand/right hand aspect of play in particular is really special. Although I haven't played much--the realtime aspect of play leaves me with few potential opponents among my gaming friends--I can't see getting rid of this one.

That's my real problem with the game. Its best quality (real time) also prevents me from having an "equal" partner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Freshmaker
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
raile wrote:

Since he's 9, you should probably let him win. BUT, if someone starts flying through their deck going for haymakers, I recommend sitting back and playing defensively. Play slow, block his haymakers when they come up, and mostly look for counter punches. If you place a handful of counter punches, your opponent will either slow down or lose....

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to give that a try next time.

As for letting my kids win, I might do so in the 1st game to spark interest, but otherwise if it's appropriate for their age, I will show no mercy! My 9 year old certainly doesn't show any mercy towards me in this game! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward B.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the same away about this game!

It is very unique, and I dig that. I'm also a big boxing fan, and this is one of only two boxing games that I've heard of.

I've played this three times. It wasn't painful, but I really don't think I'm too into the real time aspect of it. I think it'd be a good party game, though, where you have a bunch of people over and there's a crowd to watch the fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Folks, there's a little something called houserules or variants, or handicaps if you will.

Yes, something like this should have been in the rules (jeez maybe its in there can't recall now, some games like this have these included) but if not be creative!

Its been a while since I played or I would suggest something but I would wager there are 3 or more ways to handicap a stronger player to level the field, don't discard a good game just because someone is winning! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.