Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's look at the game.

Each player has 27 turns.
After each of those 27 turns there is an administrative cleanup and refresh.
After every four or five turns there is the end of month clean up.
After every second month there is the change of season (or end of two months clean up, or end of game after the sixth month).

Thus, with four players (the mid point for the range supported) that is 108 turns and 36 administrative actions. For 144 effective actions.

To fit into 90 minutes each of those "actions" is going to have to take less than 38 seconds. That is so not going to happen meeple

The results are

# players Actions Secs per action in 90 minutes
3 117 46.2
4 144 37.5
5 171 31.6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Decker
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

That's an interesting breakdown of the game.

As with any game, the first time you play it's going to take a bit longer. But once you know the game, it really shouldn't take you very long to play a card and make a move. In fact, if I'm just making a move, it will be a lot quicker than 30 seconds, so I would think an average move would take about 30 seconds, taking time to calculate scores when you perform.

I'd have to dig up the playtest reports, but I don't think anyone ever reported a game going longer than 2 hours. How long do your games generally go?

Not that it's a valid comparison, but I play the solitaire computer version posted here in about 5 minutes per game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
It was our first game so naturally went long. Excluding rules it went 3:15

A fair chunk of that was due to the first game factor and this is to be expected with any game (checking rules etc.), but looking back at the required 144 actions or events that are going to have to occur in a four player game, the 90 minutes still seems optimistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor McNish
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think, to be honest, a fair amount of time was spent bagging the game for taking too long. Which was fun, but we could have played faster. Also, the raffle was in the middle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes there was that meeple but the raffle and the stupid phone calls from my work were towards the end of Village
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
We didn't even start bagging the game until after the first two-month period - which took over an hour.

Given that we thought it was going to be a 45 minute game (looks like this was our error - looking at base game rather than expansion playing time), it was not unreasonable to be annoyed.

At a little over 3 hours, the game took four times as long as we expected - and twice as long as the (revised) expected duration. Yes there was some bagging, but there were also attempts to finish the game quickly.

Fraser's right though - the raffle and work call were during the previous game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor McNish
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's true. The raffle was just before I took my last turn in village.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.