Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Per the card text:

"I control systems adjacent to 2 different player's Home Systems. I "control" a system if I have at least one (non-fighter) ship there, and I control every planet in the system."

My question is: Does controlling a system adjacent to my home world count as one of the two "different" player's Home System? It doesn't say that the players own home world doesn't count. It just says "different" players.

If it meant 2 players other than myself, I feel the text would have used the phrase "other players'" instead of "different player's".

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely only other players. I know this was ruled on by Corey a long time ago; not sure why it never made it to the FAQ, but unfortunately not all of his rulings make it there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Marvosh
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed this last time I played. I hate this card, because you aren't allowed to show it to the other players to discuss. It would be totally legitimate to fulfill it as a literal reading would suggest, then reveal it and get two points. What could the other players do?

It's really a pretty egregious error. If cards are going to be strictly your-eyes-only, they need to be heavily edited for this sort of ambiguity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this card is unclear. The way it is worded, I assume my home system would count as well, but if Cory has already ruled on this as the first poster has stated, then I guess my assumption is wrong.

I have noticed wording on other cards such as "two opponent's...". This phrase would make this specific secret objective card more clear. Since these terms have not been used, it still appears to me that the card allows any two players's home systems to be used to qualify for the objective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind the title of the objective: Threatening. Threatening yourself isn't very effective
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Keep in mind the title of the objective: Threatening. Threatening yourself isn't very effective :)

Haha, very true. After thinking about this for a while, I realize that it doesn't make sense to count myself as one if the two "players". It makes the objective way too easy. I would definately play this card as having to occupy two "opponents".

I still feel that the card was worded poorly and if people played the card as it reads, they could count a system adjacent to their own home system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco MacDaddy
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Would love to find the official ruling on this. I had a player win the game last night by 'Threatening' just himself and one other player. No official ruling = lost game + frustration.

Anyone know where to find Corey's ruling?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dratsabius wrote:
Anyone know where to find Corey's ruling?

I would just trust sigmazero13 on this-he has a direct email to Corey.
I do agree the wording is unclear, but common sense should tell everyone the objective is just too easy if you count your own system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.