Popular Tags: [View All]
Eli Alampay
United States
University Place
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't actually tried this but I'm familiar with the non-electronic version of The Generals so I see no reason why this wouldn't work with Stratego.

Basically, you'll need a third person as an arbiter. The arbiter would be the one who gets to resolve combats. The two players never gets to see their opponents' pieces throughout the game. Other game rules remain unchanged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tacoma_boy wrote:
I haven't actually tried this but I'm familiar with the non-electronic version of The Generals so I see no reason why this wouldn't work with Stratego.

Basically, you'll need a third person as an arbiter. The arbiter would be the one who gets to resolve combats. The two players never gets to see their opponents' pieces throughout the game. Other game rules remain unchanged.

I own Generals but haven't played since the 1980's. One of these days I'll have to dig the game out and see if it still functions. Still play Stratego here and there.

Not knowing what your opponent's piece is an interesting twist to the game. I suggest you give it a try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Lizarraga
Mexico
Merida
Yucatan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is this also this variant in which the pieces are never revealed that does not require a third person as an arbiter.

UNKNOWN VICTOR

In this variation, when two pieces come in contact or "strike" each player does not immediately reveal the rank. Rather, the player who struck the other starts asking these questions, in order, which both players must truthfully answer:

Is your piece a Bomb?
Is your piece the Spy?
Is your piece a Scout?
Is your piece a Miner?
Is your piece a Sergeant?

etc., all the way down to the Marshal. As soon as one player answers "yes" the questioning stops and the player who answered yes removes his piece from the board, since his opponent must have a higher ranking piece.

If both players simultaneously answer yes, (which, of course, will never happen if one of the pieces is a bomb) obviously the pieces are of equal rank and both players remove their piece from the board.

This method guarantees all higher ranking pieces removes all lower ranking pieces, but the loser does not know quite how strong the victor is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 'Unknown Victor' (see above) variant is very good, but takes a while to play, because of all the talking.
A quicker variant is 'Secret Attacker'. When attacked, only the defender will state their rank. The attacker then says if he won, lost, or tied, removing the appropriate piece(s).
If the attacker wins, the net result is exactly like 'Unknown Victor' variant-meaning that piece's rank is only known as 'greater than X'.
If the defender wins, its rank is known, making 'Secret Attacker' less than ideal. However, it is MUCH faster to play.
'Secret Attacker' also rewards attacking, making the game more vicious and slightly faster then typical stratego.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bowker
United States
Washington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw this thread due to a reinterest with Stratego. I remember playing the electronic version of The Generals years ago at a friend's house.

In about five minutes I figured a way to cheat and have it register that every piece of mine, regardless of what it was, would beat the enemy piece. I don't remember exactly what I did not but it involved how I held the piece.

Don't have that with non-electronic games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.