Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb

Warning: This is basically a Google translation, even though I do edit it at some extant, but I ask to please bear no ill will to the text.

Ah, the Struggle of Empires match that was marked with almost 1 month in advance finally happened.

6 players:
Libonati
Fabiano
Penteado
Marcelo
Jorge
and I

At the beginning, nobody really bores the implications of what was being done. The game lasts for three wars, and war occur within each five rounds (in the case of six people playing), and in each round the player has two actions: a) Buy a piece (each with special abilities, some constants other single-use) b) Build a Unit (Soldiers, Navy or strong) the cost of a point of population; c) Settling (the cost of a point of population) or enslave; d) Attack (2 paying money ); e) Moving Units (up to two); f) Pass.

Before the start there is a strange (but essential, as we found out) auction for the alliances. A player chooses to be powers of two opposing, or space from above, within or below. The other players can bid and, therefore, change the powers and / or their position in space (this is relevant, because who is over before acting). If no one bid, the positions stands as is. The player left to the one who made the first choice, now select two new powers, also indicating their spaces. But now, besides the order of actions is also necessary to consider that, that which is within the top, that will be combined with that in the previous auction, it was over, the same goes for those in the space below. Then the auction occurs a third time, and in the end it will be over three allied powers, and three allied powers down.

The First War alliances were:
Above: Prussia (Fabiano), Russia (George) and Britain (I)
Bottom: Netherlands (Penteado), Austria (Libonati) and France (Marcelo)

Allies can assist with their units and the other allies can not attack. There are no breaks alliances (I think some parts allow this, but as a rule, does not occur).

Right away Britain was expelled from Central Europe by France and the Dutch did the same with her in the Caribbean. The Netherlands also solidified their control states and dominated the Baltic Germans. The Austrians managed to North America. The French conquered the East Indies.

The British, with the help of mercenaries and natives flocked to India and Africa, and this was taken by them, while the former was divided with the Prussians. The Prussians took revenge for the British when gaining control of Central Europe, crushing the French and Austrians. The Russians proved to be supreme in the Mediterranean, and with more difficulty, remained in the Ottoman Empire.

At the end of the first war, the situation was:
1st - Prussia (Fabiano)
2nd - Netherlands (Penteado)
3rd - Russia (Jorge)
4th - Austria (Libonati)
5th - Great Britain (I) and France (Marcelo)

The differential for the Prussians was the use of the Bank, which earned him more money, and a number of army training, which gave them a significant advantage in combat.

The Second War alliances were:
Above: Prussia (Fabiano), Russia (George) and Britain (I)
Bottom: Netherlands (Penteado), Austria (Libonati) and France (Marcelo)

Yes, exactly the same.

The quarrel between France and Prussia began here. In South America, the Prussians were beaten by the French, who followed the campaign to the Caribbean and did the same there. But if you have something that Prussia produces is people, and so they went back to South America. After a bloodbath, they were able to stay there, even under the local supremacy of France.

In Europe the Austrians fought the Germanic peoples, solidifying its position of power there, although the shadow of the Netherlands. It also expanded into the Baltic and there were also the second power behind the Dutch. An attempt to broaden the field for Central Europe was defeated by the Prussians.

The Russians went to the East Indies and beat the French enough to share control there. In addition, they trafficked slaves from Africa to the Caribbean, and with them, their influence in the region. Even having to endure some advances by enimies were done, the Russian dominance in the Mediterranean and the Ottoman Empire was not lost. Britain lost a battle to Dutch in the Caribbean, even though the Britain troops wasn't facing more than farmers using shells as weapons. At least in South America, the British were more successful, and reduced the French control, becoming equally influential there.

Then occurred what came to be called the Massacre of the Indies. Thousands of young and enthusiastic French, united under the banner of the Revolution, went to India, to take their place there. Thousands and thousands, and even not even a ship returned. Several waves, several fights, and only losses came to the French side, whose power was broken by the size war effort. In Europe, France is essentially gone, and only in Eastern India and South America had some local French influence.

In Central Europe the Prussian power was tested by Austrian and Dutch invested. The control was maintained, but the high costs, both for attackers and defenders.

At the end of the Second War, the situation was:
1st - Prussia (Fabiano) - only one point ahead
2nd - Netherlands (Penteado)
3rd - Austria (Libonati)
4th - Great Britain (I)
5th - Russia (Jorge)
6th - France (Marcelo)

Then came the main moment of the game: the third auction of alliances. For the first time there were moves to change positions and alliances (in the case of the last two powers: Great Britain and Austria).

The Third War alliances were:
Above: France (Marcelo), Russia (George) and Britain (I)
Bottom: Prussia (Fabiano), Netherlands (Penteado) and Austria (Libonati)

That is, the three latter against the first three. But among the first three, only Austria had an effective army. The second war almost completely exhausted the land units of Netherlands and Prussia. The situation in Europe was as follows: Austria, well positioned to take control of various regions, but prevented from doing so because of their alliances. The only army in opposition of the triple alliance of leaders was the Russian, who with the use of militias, stepped up tremendously, but only to support the positions they had, after all there were three powers (even though two weakened) against it. Still, the Mediterranean was lost, first with the removal of the few Britons who were there (and still managed to resist the Austrian advance) and then by several cooperative attacks that removed the entrenched Russian influence.

The British army was the biggest, but so far that didn't bothered the powers in Europe. The British and Prussians drove the French from India and also South America, and the first has also eliminated the Dutch from the Caribbean. The French destroyed the Dutch force in North America.

Finally, the tremendous effort of Russians for recruiting caused deep dissatisfaction among the people, which caused the loss of points in the final count. The same was true, in a more severe form, for France, but mainly due to losses and casualties.

So the end positions were:

1st - Netherlands (Penteado) - 66 points
2nd - Prussia (Fabiano) - 64 points
3rd - Austria (Libonati) - 59 points
4th - Great Britain (I) - 55 points
5th - Russia (George) - 48 points
6th - France (Marcelo) - 36 points

It was pretty close. In fact I believe that Holland won because Prussia almost gave up trying to expand its control throughout all the third war. Fabiano, without armies, was on the line of "it was good while it lasted," and opted to strong his hold over certain positions, to reform the government to reduce the dissatisfaction of the people (he did not need, we discovered later) and, strangely as it seems, supported the Dutch attacks in the Mediterranean, which allowed Netherlands to have the domain, scoring six points alone - before both the Netherlands, Austria and Prussia would mark six points, and after the last two scored only 4 points. Then compute: 2 points less for the Netherlands... 2 points more to Prussia... well, you understand me.

And Austria, if in one hand benefited from alliances in the third war because it could take down the difference for those who came in front, on the other hand, and perhaps most importantly, the couldn't do anything to also reduce the areas of Fabiano/Prussia and Penteado/Netherlands. The difference of points didn't reduced by the actions of Austrians (of course), but by the ones of the French and the British. So the alliances for Libonati/Austria only served to solidify his third position, which obviously isn't worth anything. I say this because it was Libonati, who controlled Austria, that set up the auction of Austria as an ally of Prussia and the Netherlands, perhaps for fear of attacks in Europe, but he being the most powerful armed there (beside the Russians), I believe it would added more value to him if he have been aligned with the Russians and went for a total attack. Maybe this would only bring more dissatisfaction and loss of points, but between the third, fourth, fifth or sixth position, I see no difference.

We notice most of this more during the 3rd World War and after the match than during, and I was told that if other alignment were put (with Austria and Russia combined), the Netherlands and/or Prussia, would bid high to reverse this . However, at least, it would cost more unrest within those nations, which for the game could also have been essential, since Jorge/Prussia lost 4 points by having one more point of unrest than Penteado. That is, if Penetado/Netherlands had one more point of unrest, he would ended four points lower, so the end result would be different.

Now that's a game decided in many details! Excellent game, no doubt, that in the beginning didn't impressed, but then left a huge impact, causing us to discuss moves, actions and options long after the game were stored away.

And that was it!

Regards,

Edit: To reduce some more of the craziness of Google translator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Cam
Belgium
Kontich
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How long did the game take?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb
krommenaas wrote:
How long did the game take?

About 4 hours, with explanation.

There is some good amount of downtime, but this depends on the player: I, for instance, want to see what to others are doing, and try to make them do what I want,so it feels like I was playing almost all the time.

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.