Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously there are many possible variants with different board sizes and shapes. What should the density of X's O's be, and what constraints on their placement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Fikes
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ddyer wrote:
Obviously there are many possible variants with different board sizes and shapes. What should the density of X's O's be, and what constraints on their placement?

I'd say that there should be an equal number of X's and O's, and maybe about one-third neutral spaces. This distribution seems to allow for a decent tactical range. I also believe that the X's and O's should have identical placements relative to each other (some rotation or reflection of the board is the same as the original board with X's and O's inverted). I wouldn't discourage players from experimenting, though; a board with no X's and no O's would be a purely combinatorial game where the last player to move wins, and while the short-term tactical value of a move would be harder to calculate, if at all existent, some players might enjoy that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.