2 Posts

Mancala» Forums » General

Subject: Feature article about Mancala family in Spielbox magazine rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a feature article about Mancala in Spielbox magazine (2011, Issue #4, pp26-29). The article consists of four full pages, and describes some of the archetypes and modern developments, to give an orientation to this family of games. It includes references to traditional variations like Bao and Oware, modern variations like Kalaha and Oh-Wah-Ree, and related games such as Ralf Gehring's 55stones. If you can get your hands on it, it's an interesting read for relative novices like me wanting to learn something about the broader contours of the mancala family. The publication predates the appearance of Stefan Feld's Trajan, which uses a mandala mechanic, otherwise I expect it might have received mention as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Gering
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
Thank you for pointing us to the article. "Kalaha" was actually called "Kalah" by its American inventor (Kalaha is the name by which it became known in Sweden, Poland and Germany), my game is spelled "55Stones" and I am spelled "Gering". BTW, Kalah isn't based on an African game, however, similar games called Dakon, Congkak or Sungka do exist in Southeast Asia and might have inspired W. J. Champion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.