Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While the participation was not quite what I had hoped, it was fun to see people come up with neat uses for an ignored card. Let's give it another go shall we?

The Contest
There are hundreds of cards available now for the game, but not all of them see much play. The goal of this contest is for players to challenge themselves and find creative and fun uses for overlooked cards. The challenge is to create a deck that utilizes the strengths of the specific card in the overall deck strategy. Do not just take a card and plop it into an already existing Reclaim the Fallen or Dark Elf hit point reduction deck.

Post your decks, with an explanation of how the deck should work in this thread. The deck submission time will be open from Now until July 25th. From July 25th until the end of the month there will be a poll for people to vote on which deck they think is the best.

The Prize
I kind of over extended myself last month, so I can offer up 1GG for the prize. Plus, any geekgold tipped to this thread will also go to the winner. I guess it is not a huge prize, but this is all for fun anyway.

This Month's Card

Last month we considered a neutral order card, so this time we get a neutral destruction card. The giant is big. However, he is also kind of expensive and he does have a restriction that makes it hard to rely on the giant as the sole defender of a zone. Can you find a use for this guy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've added 10 gg to the prize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah Snow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, I thought last month's contest was more interesting since you had an effect you had to find a use for. Having to work around a restriction is a cool challenge too, but in this case, if you do work around it, the card is still pretty bad - 3/5 for a cost of 5 without advantages is far from impressive. With the Kindred I felt I could make it be the star of the deck, this time it was more about finding a deck in which the Giant isn't quite as terrible as usual. A deck that not only has a way to compensate for the card's drawback, but more importantly where the Giant can contribute something meaningful despite its shortcomings.

I settled on Orcs pretty soon. The Giant has a lot of HP, which makes him suited to a self-damage strategy, and his cost is odd, which, well, suits an odd cost strategy. So I tried something a bit unusual and combined the two.

Units: 26
3 Night Goblin Fanatic
3 Sneaky Git
2 Arkayne Vampire
3 Big 'Uns
3 Frenzied Big 'Un
3 Orc Bully
3 Squig Hopper
3 Urguck
3 Marauding Giant

Tactics: 9
3 Fists of Mork
3 Spida Huntin'
3 Warpstone Experiments

Supports: 15
3 Warpstone Excavation
3 Contested Village
3 The Unending Horde
3 Squig Pen
3 Looted Umie Town

One angle are Night Goblin Fanatic and Sneaky Git, and with 41 out of 50 cards having an odd cost, they are likely to be successful. The other angle is self-damage, you'll be heavily relying on Fists of Mork there. The comparatively high number of units allows you maximize the usefulness of the two kinds of Big 'Uns, to benefit from Looted Umie Town, and makes it more likely our sad Giant won't suffer from loneliness. The Unending Horde allows you to easily return destroyed units to play, which can allow you to get out a sidekick for the Giant at any time, provided he is in the battlefield (where he belongs, being a Marauding Giant). Arkayne Vampire and Urguck are your main ways of soaking up damage if you get to repeatedly play Fists of Mork, and they are your prime targets for Spida Huntin', but the Giant can cover for them thanks to his high HP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik Hennebach
Germany
Frankfurt
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hmm, my deck that the Marauding Giant is already part of is very similar to Planetary's idea, except it's got more of a rush angle. Even if I don't cook up something else, definite props for a cool contest idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with what Planetary said about this month’s card, but nevertheless I wanted to participate this time, because it is such a great idea to do a monthly contest like that.

I looked at the marauding giant this way: Firstly, it is expensive and secondly, I’ll need lots of units to make sure the giant can always attack and defend.

So I came up with the following deck: (http://deckbox.org/sets/202467)

Units: (23)
2 Fledgling Chaos Spawn
3 Blue Horrors
3 Pink Horrors
3 Savage Gors
3 Arkayne Vampire
3 Sorcerer of Tzeentch
3 Mounted Marauders
3 Marauding Giant

Legends: (3)
3 Kairos Fateweaver

Tactics: (3)
3 Unleashing the Spell

Quests: (3)
3 Beastman Incursion

Supports: (18)
3 Warpstone Excavation
3 Contested Village
3 Den of Iniquity
3 Desecrated Temple
3 Light of Morrslieb
3 Descendant of Gods

I chose to build a deck with Kairos as including a legend requires building lots of power into your kingdom zone to gain enough resources and afterwards the legend will grant even more resources itself. I also included other rather cheap support cards and units to ensure a good start. As a result it should be quite easy to pay the five resources needed for the giant.

With the help of Kairos, Light of Morrslieb and some of the cheap units included (with the exception of the mounted marauders) it will be easy to make sure that the giant is never alone in his zone. Remember to put down one/two developments every turn to get the 2/2-units from Kairos for free, trigger your sorcerer of tzeentch, strengthen your savage gors and prepare your finishing move unleashing the spell.

A common problem with legends is that they are very vulnerable to attacks. While Kairos brings his own army along, he has only got three hit points. Thus, I included descendant of gods to boost his hit points, the arkayne vampire to ensure a strong defense and the beastman incursion quest to force my opponent to skip his battlefield phase.

As we are putting down developments every turn anyway, I included the den of iniquity and desecrated temple.

Of course you could argue that Kairos and not the giant is the star of the deck – but as I explained, our legend helps us to build up resources and provides free units who can fight together with our card. I also tried to include some new cards from the latest cycle, which might not be the best choice for this deck, but they do all serve a purpose and it’s always fun to play with new cards!

Thanks again for doing this contest – I hope some more will join us with their deck-ideas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Squig
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
It's from a movie.
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the fun contest! I'm glad there is something like this to participate in. I tried to use the Dark Elf steal/slave mechanics to try and get the giant into play quick so he can protect his new wimpy friends, the Dark Elves.

The star:
3x Marauding Giant

Wimpy friends:
3x Veteran Sellswords
3x Walking Sacrifice
3x Dwarf Slaves
3x Dark Elf Infiltrator
3x Thief of Essence
3x Crypt Ghouls
2x Monster of the Deep
3x Malus Darkblade

3x Hate
3x Lash the Prisoner!
3x Bathe in Blood
3x Invoke Khaine's Wrath
3x Innovation

3x Slave Pen
3x Armoury
3x Treasure Vaults

Now, you might be thinking that I've included too many cards you never see played in this deck. That's true, because the point of this deck is to make an obscene amount of money then barf out big units. To get there, though, there are two "main" ways of getting money:
1. Build a Slave Pen in the Kingdom zone and start sacrificing 0-cost guys to the slave pen. In fact, you are probably best sacrificing everyone to the pen as frequently as you can. Dwarf slaves go to the KZ, bring in a dev, then you can bathe them in blood in phase 0 for extra resources and then sacrifice them to the slave pen before they die at the end of the turn. Also build the Armoury and Treasure Vaults to the KZ for maximum cash. You will be developing to the KZ as well in case you draw into Innovation, which should give you a nice boost when you hit it. Sacrificing the Crypt Ghouls is also awesome.

2. Steal money from the opponent. Hate, DE Infiltrator, are pretty cool at the start of the game. This is a minor aspect. I was going to include some further slaving, such as taking control, but that requires your opponent to build units which doesn't always happen at the start of the game when you need money. So it's better just to steal laugh

The Thief of Essence will be getting you cards this whole time, but if you need more, then you can always substitute guys from the KZ to the QZ since there are money making tactics.

Once you get your oodles of dollars, just blow them like the big spender you are on Monster of the Deep, Marauding Giant, and Malus Darkblade. A few turns of those guys hammering the other guy (and forcing him to defend) and it should all be over. You have Invoke Khaine's Wrath to use your money to punish him for attacking your capital if he tries to rush. The money stealing should slow him down enough, hopefully, that you can unleash the big boys within a reasonable time horizon.

There is very little control in this deck so it is susceptible to a deck that can knock out key pieces like the Slave Pen, but hey, do you want to look cool with a Marauding Giant on the board, or do you want to be a Dark Elf player who plays Withering Hex? Look inside yourself and I think you'll agree that you want to live in a world with more Marauding Giants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Squig
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
It's from a movie.
mbmbmbmb
It would be really crazy and awesome if we could play these decks against each other. There has got to be some online way to play (I keep seeing the word "OCTGN" pop up everywhere, maybe that is something we could use?) We can still have the person who gets the most votes as the winner, but then someone could win the Badge of Smugness if their deck wins the games but not the deckbuilding votes contest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah Snow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid to face anyone who calls the Monster of the Deep "wimpy".

Apart from that, yes, OCTGN would work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Which deck, using Marauding Giant, is the best?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Planetary's Orc Deck
50.0% 3
Hotbutton's Chaos Deck
33.3% 2
HappyDD's Dark Elf Deck
16.7% 1
Voters 6
This poll is now closed.   6 answers
Poll created by SeanXor
Closes: Wed Aug 1, 2012 6:00 am

We got an entry for each faction, so which Destruction faction do you think makes best use of this under used (and perhaps not so good) card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The contest is now over and with his Orc Deck Planetary wins again! Hopefully in the next couple of days I will post the August contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Planetary, in my opinion the best deck won.
Looking forward to next month's contest and card!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.