Dean O
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have created a modified version of the standard second edition board to match the five-player setup of the first edition board (with ports) here. A three page colour A4 printable overlay for the southern part of the board is available from the files section here. Thanks to Aur Elian (Aurelain) for the original high resolution scan.

This should allow for more balanced games when there are four or five players (removing Greyjoy and blocking off Pyke when there are four). House starting positions are as normal, with a strength 5 Neutral Force in Sunspear, though note that due to the modified board Baratheon starts at 1 on the Supply Track, whilst Tyrell starts at 3. Enjoy!

I'm sure the above will work just fine, but as an alternative, it might also be worth trying out Neutral Forces in Yronwood and Starfall. This would give Baratheon and Tyrell some interesting choices.

In any case, I look forward to hearing how people find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Baratheon and Stark were ever switched, unless there are differences in different printings of 1st edition start cards. Baratheon gains a star order in 5 player because Martell is not ahead of him. The original 5 player map does cause Baratheon to lose one supply and Tyrell to gain one.

Asside from inserting the 6th player, garrisons, and starting supply change, the only change to the setup I know of is that both of Greyjoy's ships started in Ironman's bay in 1st edition (because ports were not in 1st edition, and were optional in clash of kings).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean O
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? Hmm, I guess the source I looked at had the King's Court order wrong (or had tweaked it). I'll remove that suggestion from the first post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hortness
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at dypaca's board? Does yours differ from his?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1226534/a-game-of-thrones...

dypaca wrote:
Asside from inserting the 6th player, garrisons, and starting supply change, the only change to the setup I know of is that both of Greyjoy's ships started in Ironman's bay in 1st edition (because ports were not in 1st edition, and were optional in clash of kings).

In the 1st Ed Greyjoy was 4th on the King's Court and Tyrell was 5th. This was subsequently changed to keep Greyjoy from having both the Valyrian Blade and a Special March Order Token in the first round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean O
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ND3G wrote:
Have you looked at dypaca's board? Does yours differ from his?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1226534/a-game-of-thrones...

I looked for one and totally missed that. Fail. Mine's very slightly different (visually), so I guess I'll leave it up and people can decide which they prefer. On the plus side, I've also created a printable overlay only requiring A4 paper that should be available soon Or was I oblivious to being beaten to that as well?

ND3G wrote:
Is it common to still place Greyjoy's other starting pieces as neutral forces:

2 Ships on Ironman's Bay
1 Footman on Greywater Watch

or are those spaces just left empty?

I've played it without that before, not sure how it would go with. The Footman seems pointless as any force but a lone Siege Engine will beat it, the only effect it would have is not allowing a march to initiate any other combat. The Ships do a little more, but again not much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hortness
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeanAU wrote:
Mine's very slightly different (visually), so I guess I'll leave it up and people can decide which they prefer. On the plus side, I've also created a printable overlay only requiring A4 paper that should be available soon Or was I oblivious to being beaten to that as well?

Different is good! More options is always better.

As for overlay sizes, I was recently pointed towards a free program called PosteRazer http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/ It basically lets you chop up a poster (or game board) into whatever sizes you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ND3G wrote:
In the 1st Ed Greyjoy was 4th on the King's Court and Tyrell was 5th. This was subsequently changed to keep Greyjoy from having both the Valyrian Blade and a Special March Order Token in the first round.

I generally don't count that as a change from 1st edition. They released that errata on their webpage fairly quickly after 1st edition came out, it was incorporated into the Clash of King's start cards, and came on a printed errata sheet with Storm of Swords. It was technically offered as a recommended change for competitive 5-player games, but I consider it to be the official 1st edition setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean O
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ND3G wrote:
As for overlay sizes, I was recently pointed towards a free program called PosteRazer http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/ It basically lets you chop up a poster (or game board) into whatever sizes you want.

That is pretty neat. In the file I've created though, apart from the chopping already being done for you and only to the relevant section of the board, it's designed so that the edges of the sections don't run over names or anything else that it would be annoying to have very slightly out of alignment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
salem .
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to just print out the bottom bit of the other overlay, but couldn't get my printer options to play nice. If yours is already set as a set of printable A4 sheets, that'd be excellent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean O
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will update the first post as soon as I see it's been approved!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean O
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The board overlay is now available from the files section here. I played with it yesterday and it seemed to work very well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.J.
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome. What you think about the argument in favor of making Oldtown into a stronghold? That Tyrell is too weakened in this situation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean O
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. In my experience Tyrell hasn't faired too badly. They have a strong set of House cards in the second edition. Though experiment as you like of course

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.