Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[This was cross posted on my Margin of Victory blog.]

Before there was Dominion or 7 Wonders, there was Saint Petersburg. A game for 2 to 4 players that had you purchasing cards to rebuild and expand your part of the Russian city. Those card purchases created your own economic and point engine with whoever doing this the most efficiently being the winner. If you’ve played the more recent games, you can certainly see the inspiration that Saint Petersburg had on those – although all three are very good in their own right.

But today I want to break down this fantastic game a little bit. Essentially on each turn your decision is to either 1) buy a card 2) hold a card now to buy later or 3) save your money and pass your turn. The main action used being “buy a card”. Each card has a cost in the upper left and the benefits you’ll receive from that card each round on the bottom. Below are three card examples showing their costs and their benefits of money and/or points.

Example Cards from St. Petersburg

Money
The early game of St. Petes is to create an economic engine. You want cards that will give you cash to buy more and better cards later. Also, the sooner you buy a card the sooner it pays off. Take the Fur Trapper in the cards above. It costs 6 Rubles now and only pays out 3 per turn. So it’ll take 2 turns for this card to pay off. If this is the first card you buy in the game and the game lasts 7 rounds you’ll be ahead 15 Rubles by games end. So buying as many cheap Workers as possible early in the game is ideal.
For each card of each type you already own you also get a discount the next time you buy that card. For example, if I buy the Fur Trapper for 6 Rubles, the next time I buy one it’ll only cost 5 Rubles, the next one 4 and so on. Buying the same type of card over and over again is good and helps to get a faster return on those investments.

The orange Aristocrat cards also pay out cash, but usually at a slower rate. The Warehouse Manager will take more than 3 rounds before he starts earning his keep, but some money is better than no money. With four phases in each round having cash payouts every other phase (the green Workers in phase 1 and orange Aristocrats in phase 3) you’ll get a steady stream of income to buy the cards you want.

The blue Building cards are the main ways to earn points. Early in the game I generally avoid buying too many points though. While points are what determines who wins or loses, investing in points early will take away your buying potential. In the first few rounds of the game avoid buying any expensive buildings. One early cheap building, like the Customs House shown above may not be too bad an idea. After 7 rounds those 8 Rubles will have earned you 14 points and there are 4 more in the deck so future purchases of this card can be discounted. Only towards the end of the game when money isn’t as tight is buying those higher point buildings a good idea.

However, don’t neglect the points on the other cards. Three of the Aristocrats and many of the Trading (or Upgrade) cards have points as well as money on them. These cards can offer you the advantage of an income while gaining points at the same time – the best of both worlds.

Aristocrats
There are two point adding bonuses at the end of the game: money and Aristocrats. You’ll get 1 point for every 10 rubles you have. This is hardly something to consider in this game. Spending money on any card with points on it pays off at a better rate. But the the Aristocrat bonus can be huge. The bonus pays off 1 point for 1 different type of Aristocrat, 3 points for 2 different types, 6 for 3, 10 for 4 and so on, until you get 55 points for 10+ different types of Aristocrats. A different type meaning each orange card with a different name. In a two player game you should strive to get 8-10 different types of Aristocrats in front of you for a nice end game bonus.

Holding Cards
Often it is in your best interest to just buy cards you need as they show up. But sometimes it is better to grab that card and just hold it – usually because you can’t afford it now. This can be a good strategy when you don’t want your opponent getting a certain card. Another reason to grab a card is to free up space for the next round. Each round only 8 cards are ever on the table. For example: it is the end of the Upgrade phase and only one green Worker card will be coming out next round due to lack of open spaces. If you go first in the next round this is fine, but if you aren’t, then you will lose out on the opportunity to buy another Worker to gain even more money. It may be wise to put a card in your hand to free up another spot on the board. Don’t be afraid to put a couple cards in your hand, but make sure you buy them soon so that you can get the benefit from the card as well.

Specific Cards
Some cards in the deck just hardly ever seem worth grabbing while others I grab without hesitation. Here are some specific cards you’ll want to keep in mind while playing.
Czar and Carpenter – This card pays out like all the other workers and can be upgraded to any of the green Upgrade cards. Unless he comes out in the very early rounds though he usually doesn’t pay off since he costs 8 and there’s only one so there will be no discounts for future Czars. I usually avoid him, but he’s not terrible. Just think through his payoff and consider many of the green Upgrade cards cost less then he does so you aren’t saving any money that way.
Mariinskij-Theater – Every upgrade card is usually worth grabbing – they rarely stay on the table long. However, this upgrade card usually ends up in the discard. It gives you 1 Ruble for each orange card you have down. While money is good in this game, by the time you have enough Aristocrats to have this building pay off, you’ve usually switched your buying strategy from money to points. I rarely ever purchase this card.
Pub – This is a nice blue card to grab as costs only 1 Ruble. During the last building round you can use this card to cash out 5 points for 10 rubles instead of the normal 1.

Cards to Keep in Mind

Potjomkin’s Village – This card is used only as a blue building card for upgrading. It costs only 2 Rubles and then saves you 4 when you upgrade it. I really like having this card available for upgrading later in the game.
Observatory – This card gives you the ability to use it during the blue round to grab a card off of any deck. This is great early in the game to get more Workers or later in the game to get more Aristocrats or Upgrades. Don’t be afraid to forfeit the free card draw though to just take the alternate benefit of 1 point that round though. Going fishing for a specific card can often lead you to hold more cards than you’d like if you can’t afford the card you just randomly drew.
Mistress of Ceremonies – 6 Rubles and 3 Points every round – this is my favorite card in the deck. If I know I’ll be going first in the orange Aristocrat phase I make sure to save 18 Rubles just so I can grab this card. It pays off in three rounds all the while gaining you 9 important points. What’s not to like? The Judge and Controller are good too, but don’t quite have the appeal as the MC.

Recap
So with a few simple things to keep in mind you are ready to play Saint Petersburg:
- Get lots of money (green and orange) early
- Go for points (blue) later
- Upgrade to get the best of both worlds
- Hold cards to your advantage
Now, who’s up for a game.

Also, if you’ve never played and want to try to game. It is free to play against other people on Yucata. [And that's not an advertisement of any sort. It's just a website with a few dozen board games that the publishers have allowed online free play. It's a great site and they've done a good job with the games. Just another way to get a gaming fix in if face-to-face isn't an option.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I acquired this game back in December and we really enjoy it. Mostly 2p, with 1-2 4p games. The experience was drastically different. Both enjoyable, but different dynamic for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have liked to see a mention for the Building Upgrade cards. I agree that the Marinskij Theater is worthless (possibly except in 2P), but the rest are some of the strongest cards in the deck, and certainly make it worth investing in Blue cards from Round 2 onwards.

And Observatories are over-rated in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Your advice to avoid blue early needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Having a solid point earner early - especially in round 1 - can be a huge move. An early Firehouse or Hospital can bump you well out into the lead with others playing catch up. The added bonus of these is that they will allow you to upgrade to a more powerful building cheaper while paying off in VP early.

The trick is knowing when you can buy one early. If you're first in the aristocrat phase, save your money, you want to be able to grab the biggest Aristocrat that drops. If you overspent on workers because of being in last seat, save your money. You'll need it to make up the difference in the next worker phase.

So generally, holding out on buying blue is a good rule of thumb but there are great advantages to doing so at the right time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
A crucial tactic is to count the spaces to make sure your playing position gains a card in the next deal. Don't open the door for your opponants unnecessarily by taking marginal cards and giving them a free stab at an aristo/ worker. However force them to their hand limit by leaving the gap short.

The game has an utterly different dynamic based on the number of players. With two, there tends to be alot of blue buildings on the bottom row in round 2. These drop off in round 3 meaning there can be 6+ workers available. For this reason its best to spend nothing in round 2 after the green worker phase, just take good cards to hand and have 15+coins available to maximise your income.

And so on. There is alot going on with this game. I have played over 100 games on line and I still come back for more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harrington
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the advice to avoid blues early. Going for income early is crucial. There will be plenty of time to switch to victory points (earlier than most people think, IMO.)

The only thing I disagree with is grabbing pubs - I tend to avoid them early in the game unless I need to open a space, and then if I do get one, I tend to upgrade it. However, I'm usually scrambling for cash to play all my reds the last round, so buying pub points usually isn't that attractive to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
paulhar wrote:
There will be plenty of time to switch to victory points (earlier than most people think, IMO.)

Nice way to nullify your own argument, dude.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.