Subject: Wooden Ships rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Marc Ribot y Los Cubanos Postizos // Abdullah Ibrahim: African Sun // Toumani Diabate's Symmetric Orchestra: Boulevard de L'Independance
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
Any thoughts?

My first thought is: wooden space ships? Jules Verne died in 1905, and even he didn't think in terms of wooden space ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Louton
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd probably prefer wood even if I had to paint them myself.
About the photo, I was referring to the depicted race from the to-be-released expansion. They have a special star bases which also acts as orbitals (if I have understood correctly).

bengkohn wrote:
I can do wood, but not until I am caught up with my orders. It would take time (=$) to get them painted, unless you wanted to do it!

Orbitals is an excellent idea.

If by that photo you mean a tray to hold techs and stuff, I had this discussion in another thread. I'm probably going to make them for myself, but I can't see them going commercial. They would be a frame, not a tray to get the height, and would probably be too expensive.

BauMeister wrote:
Those look nice! Thanks for the trays by the way.
I do think I'd prefer wood, but just being able to stack the ships would be nice either way.

Did you think about making orbitals as well? It would be nice to drop a cube into the orbitals; and then there are these guys:

What would they require? I know, I know...patience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tater Salad
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bengkohn wrote:
I made a prototype set today, sneaking it in between runs of Pandemic tokens and Arkham Horror trays. Sorry about the pictures, the only camera on me is my phone.

I like everything except the size of the interceptors. I made the sizes 1", 0.75" and 0.5" and I think the 0.5" is too small. Even if I increase the size to 0.75", I don't think it will be confusing as to which is which.

For the starbases, I tried a number of things off of the start that I was graciously given:

They are all too small, but I like some of them. I have clear parts left over from cutting that might work well as a base for these.

Costs look like they will be about $2.50 for a set of 18 (2/4/8/4), so a set of 6 colors would be $15, and 9 would be $22.50. If I can optimize the spacing that might go down, if starbases get a lot bigger, it might go up.

I like the looks of all the ships. If you'll take some constructive criticism, I think the star bases all kind of look like fat turtles. Feel free to ignore of course, it was just the first thing I saw when I looked at them.

This is a random musician site to link to, but I envision something like the basic shape of this Celtic circle (cut out the dark areas for a circle with a curved diamond in the middle. Just my 2 cents though.
http://vanlarkins.com/live/attachment/the-celtic-circle/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Melk
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How about something like this for a starbase:
with a base you could put the bottom of the starbase into so it would stand vertically. Feel free to prototype if you like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
tlmelk wrote:
How about something like this for a starbase:
with a base you could put the bottom of the starbase into so it would stand vertically. Feel free to prototype if you like it.

I like my starbases as flat as the ships, really. But tastes differ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
bengkohn wrote:
I made a prototype set today, sneaking it in between runs of Pandemic tokens and Arkham Horror trays. Sorry about the pictures, the only camera on me is my phone.

I like everything except the size of the interceptors. I made the sizes 1", 0.75" and 0.5" and I think the 0.5" is too small. Even if I increase the size to 0.75", I don't think it will be confusing as to which is which.

For the starbases, I tried a number of things off of the start that I was graciously given:

They are all too small, but I like some of them. I have clear parts left over from cutting that might work well as a base for these.

Costs look like they will be about $2.50 for a set of 18 (2/4/8/4), so a set of 6 colors would be $15, and 9 would be $22.50. If I can optimize the spacing that might go down, if starbases get a lot bigger, it might go up.

Any update on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to cut these and the starbase designs I have when I return from GenCon. I have already cut a number of clear bases to see if the addition of a little height helps the dreadnoughts and bases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
bengkohn wrote:
I am going to cut these and the starbase designs I have when I return from GenCon. I have already cut a number of clear bases to see if the addition of a little height helps the dreadnoughts and bases.

bump

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The OP's designs are nice, but If you're going for abstract representations of the ships in Eclipse, why don't you use the shapes that Eclipse already uses for abstract representation in the icons? Basically, the outline of the blueprints:

Or is that too close to little wooden cubes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Desco wrote:
The OP's designs are nice, but If you're going for abstract representations of the ships in Eclipse, why don't you use the shapes that Eclipse already uses for abstract representation in the icons? Basically, the outline of the blueprints:

I would definitely buy a set of these in wood
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Desco wrote:

I like these. Though, the main reason I opted for the the design I did is that the would be easily visible if stacked. (note that if you "reduce the sides" of the original design you get shapes very similar to my own).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Eicklingen/Celle
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to get ships in the shape of what Desco showed us. That'd be more in line with the games' design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they'd be pretty cool done in a thick wood and painted. I'd change the scales of them so the bigger ones are larger to make it easier to tell them apart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
... these are spaceships. They should not be made of wood. No, no, no, no, no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eetu Immonen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
"Ain't nothing to it / microbadge made me do it"
badge
"Move the Pawn, Luke"
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
I think they'd be pretty cool done in a thick wood and painted. I'd change the scales of them so the bigger ones are larger to make it easier to tell them apart.
Yeah, I think scale change would help help to distinguish the ship types.

Desco's proposal in very neat. Not sure if I would like these better in plastic or wood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Desco wrote:

Or is that too close to little wooden cubes? ;)

You could even "produce" those by glueing some wooden cubes together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pawndawan wrote:
I'd change the scales of them so the bigger ones are larger to make it easier to tell them apart.

I agree with that, I only copy-pasted a single square in MSPaint, but I also agree with this:

ParticleMan wrote:

(I'm in the midst of my own Xeno project.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Pawndawan wrote:
ScottE wrote:
Yeah, I think scale change would help help to distinguish the ship types.

Desco's proposal in very neat. Not sure if I would like these better in plastic or wood.

Make the wood thicker as you go up the scale (a la the island tiles in Survive: Escape from Atlantis)!

What to make them out of, though, eh? that's the real question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Minkoff
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Don't you have better things to do?
badge
Should you be reading this?
mbmbmbmbmb
ParticleMan wrote:

...actually, they are board game pieces, silly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
VolkoV wrote:
Desco wrote:

You could even "produce" those by glueing some wooden cubes together.

I'm imagining these as being thinner than the cubes, maybe about half as thick?
I do agree the scales should increase slightly for the bigger ships.

Anyone willing or able to produce a set of this design?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little busy now catching up from the holidays, but if you can either (1) wait, or (2) create the .svg file thenI can cut them out of 1/8" acrylic or 1/8" plywood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I can wait. I'll look into making the svg file, but otherwise, please do geek mail me when you are less busy/I'll chase in a month or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Strauss
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Cole Wehrle wrote:
Any thoughts?

My first thought is: wooden space ships? Jules Verne died in 1905, and even he didn't think in terms of wooden space ships.

As far as I know, he didn´t think of plastic either whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
demonhanz demonhanz
msg tools
mb
f-p-p-m wrote:
Sphere wrote:
Cole Wehrle wrote:
Any thoughts?

As far as I know, he didn´t think of plastic either whistle

Exactly. The wood is supposed to go hand in hand with the cubes. Has nothing to do with space or any of that jazz. Otherwise, lets use metal and other unknown exotic materials to jack up the price big time. robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
This whole thread is a great Idea.

Don't get me wrong, I love the ships in the base game. And you know they are mass produced, so decently cheap. Eminent Domain gives like 100 of them in the 25 dollar box.

But, the stackable pieces are a great concept. That said, is there any way to make fancy plastic molds, but so that they still stack, like slot and tab style?

A ridge there, a dip there, and I bet beautiful unique ships could be made to stack like Campbells soup cans! To me this is much more desirable for ships in space as opposed to wooden blocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.