Japan
Okinawa
FPO AP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Format: [Base, Shadow, Highlight]
Primer: Black, White Zenithal
Tallarn Flesh, Sanguine Base, Menoth White Base

Trollblood Base, Coal Black, Meredius Blue/Iosan Green/Sulfuric Yellow/Menoth White Highlight,
Wash: Turquoise Ink/Armor Wash

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ganotisi
Japan
Okinawa
FPO AP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did more work during my lunch.

Menoth White Highlight, Underbelly Blue, Morrow White
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euen McMurry
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These new Descent models are miles better than the old ones! I love what your doing with this guy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ganotisi
Japan
Okinawa
FPO AP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
braveheart101 wrote:
These new Descent models are miles better than the old ones! I love what your doing with this guy.

Thanks. It's nothing creative though. Just wanted to get them done as quick as I can so I decided to go with the original color scheme. My daughter is still enjoying super dungeon explore and can't wait to get this in the table.

In the game the monsters are casted white and red. One is harder to kill than the other. I'm trying to find out how I would differentiate the two if Im painting them in their original colors. Currently I plan on leaving the red rim on the red casted monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ganotisi
Japan
Okinawa
FPO AP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Submission approved!

Leoric of the Book
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ganotisi
Japan
Okinawa
FPO AP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lunch time was spent filling in gaps and cleaning up some mold lines.

I even had enough time to prime. Looks like I get to paint a little tonight after work.

I hate it when you see missed mold lines after you've primed the miniature. Sometimes I look at the spray can to see if there's warning label saying, "May add undesired mold lines." I swear I cleaned them all up prior to priming it. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you do the zenithal white? Drybrush? Spray can? Air brush?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ganotisi
Japan
Okinawa
FPO AP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sevej wrote:

Aswin,

I spray can with black first, then I hold the spray can white where I want my light source to be and spray it in short bursts until I get the desired effect. It usually takes me about 3-4 short sprays.

Thanks for the interest.
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ganotisi
Japan
Okinawa
FPO AP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Done! While we wait for my submission to be approved, here are some progress shots of tonights work.

I referenced the shadow dragon found on the last page of the rulebook to match the colors as close as I can. Here is what I came up with...

I airbrushed parts of the wing, his arms, and legs with Sanguine Base. Next, I mixed Thornwood Green, 3 drops blue ink, 3 drops red ink, 3 drops armor wash to paint the bottom half of the dragon (where the black primer was exposed).

For the highlight, I slowly added Beast Hide until I was satisfied with the color that would contrast it.

You can see in the picture above, the overhead lighting was too harsh so I washed the contrasting colors. Maybe they weren't contrasting enough. I felt it was still missing depth so I added 2 more drops of Armor Ink to the color and defined it's muscles and deepest creases.

I decided to move on and went with adding some "green glow" on his hind legs and under his wings. Wurm Green/2 drops Green Ink/2 drops Beast Hide

I also used this color as a shadow for his mouth.

Now we wait...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ganotisi
Japan
Okinawa
FPO AP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow Dragon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ganotisi
Japan
Okinawa
FPO AP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Body: Beast Hide/Umbral Umber, Umbral Umber/3 drops Armor Wash, drybrush Beast Hide

Underglow: Umbral Umber/Wurm Green airbrushed under the spiders

While we wait...I got Zombies primed and ready to take some color for tomorrow's lunch break.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ganotisi
Japan
Okinawa
FPO AP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cave Spider

Body Marking: Sanguine Highlight, Sanguine Base, Khador Red

The eyes were barely noticeable so I added a tiny dot of Menoth White Base on the upper portion of each eye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
mb
ganotisim wrote:
Sevej wrote:

Aswin,

I spray can with black first, then I hold the spray can white where I want my light source to be and spray it in short bursts until I get the desired effect. It usually takes me about 3-4 short sprays.

Thanks for the interest.
Mike

That is fonking brilliant! I'm going to try that NOW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Sonnemann
Germany
Nidderau
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what is the green stuff that you used for filling the gaps?
Is it glue or modeling stuff?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan Torf wrote:
what is the green stuff that you used for filling the gaps?
Is it glue or modeling stuff?

Umm, oddly enough, modellers indeed call the substance green stuff. It's two part putty used for sculpting and filling gap. Probably of Games Workshop brand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ganotisi
Japan
Okinawa
FPO AP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We call it "green stuff" here because it is a two part epoxy (yellow/blue) that you mix together. I do not use the GW because it it over priced. I use Kneadtite brand bought from my local game store. Here is the link to the brand that I use:

http://www.polymericsystems.com/epoxies-adhesives/epoxy-putt...

I buy the tape version that comes in roll and just cut only the amount that I need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bess A.
United States
Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgeous! Very inspiring work.

I can't wait to start on my Descent, but so far we haven't been able to stop playing long enough to prime. We need to pick up the conversion set so that we can use our 1st ed painted figs while the new ones are "offline" for the paint job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ganotisi
Japan
Okinawa
FPO AP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ganotisi
Japan
Okinawa
FPO AP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whew...how time flies...(the sun is about to come up)
Here are some pics of what I did:

My typical start - black primer and 3 bursts of white primer from my desired light source. After that, I slap 2 thin coats of GW Tallarn Flesh, ensuring the primer is still visible from underneath.

I painted the rest of his skin with Tallarn Flesh. Taking a picture of the miniature also gives me a good reference of where my highlights and shadows should be.

Time to shadow! Using Sanguine Base mixed with Tallarn Flesh, I applied it to where the black primer was still showing on the skin tone. A little Black was added to the darker areas as well as the creases in his skin.

I returned to Tallarn Flesh and blended some of the harsh shadow lines.

Painted his toenails, fingernails, and teeth with Menoth White Base. Since I had the color open, I added some to Tallarn Flesh and started to highlight his skin. I also painted the hairs on his shin and forearm with Thornwood Green mixed with Thamar Black.

I proceeded to armor with Pig Iron and shadowing with Armor Wash. Then I carefully highlighted with Quick Silver. I also basecoated his fur with Umbral Umber mixed with some Black.

I slowly built up the fur mixing various amounts of brown using Idrian Flesh, Bloodstone, and Rucksack Tan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ganotisi
Japan
Okinawa
FPO AP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ettin completed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
ganotisim wrote:
Sevej wrote:

Aswin,

Thanks for the interest.
Mike

Thankis for the info. I read a lot about miniature painting but that idea is new to me. I will give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Moore
United Kingdom
Bacup
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never thought of priming different colours it's a nice idea. If my good lady wife gets me this for Christmas I might just try it certainly liking the work here especially the Eti.

Have you painted up anymore from the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Zuniga
Spain
Sevilla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good work!!!

I subscribe the post

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ganotisi
Japan
Okinawa
FPO AP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedro,

Sorry for the lack of updates. All my games are currently on the boat to my next duty station, Okinawa. It will not be there until Jan 15th.

Thank you,
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Mayfield
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what type of spray paint do you use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.