Twilight Imperium (Third Edition): Shattered Empire» Forums » Rules

Subject: A question regarding PDS and VP :) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Petar Vojinovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
Hello people,

Didn't find what I needed in FAQ or Rules book so I wanted to pose these questions here.

My friend activated my system containing my ships and pds and moved his ships in. I shot him with pds and we resolved the battle in which my fleet was annihilated. I activated the system shot him again with pds fire and moved my 2nd fleet in when he declared his retreat. We did the first round of battle and he retreated to another system *normal retreat*. I claimed my pds can shoot at his fleet again as he moved there and is in my pds' range. Others claimed I couldn't.

So Q is - could I or could I not?

Also in the same game in the end - two of us could claim 2vp after that round. I had Tech card and he had War II card. I assumed he won 'cause his initiative was lower than mine but then it hit me - shouldn't we pick the cards for that round and THEN claim objective we can which means I would be the winner as I was the speaker and naturally would pick the lowest initiative card then.

So Q is - who would have won?

Thanks in advance.

Barcas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
Not Oswald!!!
badge
Vic Mackey
mbmbmbmbmb
PDS fire happens during the move step of an activation. It does not happen during a retreat/withdrawal step of a combat round. Thus, your PDS cannot fire at retreating/withdrawaling ships.

PDS's also cannot fire when ships move due to other non-tactical/non-transfer action steps such as the secondary of Warfare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
halbower wrote:
PDS fire happens during the move step of an activation. It does not happen during a retreat/withdrawal step of a combat round. Thus, your PDS cannot fire at retreating/withdrawaling ships.

This is correct. More precisely, it's step three of both the tactical action and the transfer action, see pages 10 and 12 respectively.

barcas wrote:
Also in the same game in the end - two of us could claim 2vp after that round. I had Tech card and he had War II card. I assumed he won 'cause his initiative was lower than mine but then it hit me - shouldn't we pick the cards for that round and THEN claim objective we can which means I would be the winner as I was the speaker and naturally would pick the lowest initiative card then.

Nope. You claim strategy cards in the strategy phase of a round, which is the first phase. You claim victory points as the first step of the status phase of a round, which is the last phase, and the seventh step of the status phase is returning the strategy cards. Have a look at page 14 of the base game rulebook for all the steps of a staus phase, their order is quite clearly defined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.