$10.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

7 Wonders: Manneken Pis» Forums » General

Subject: Non-Alcohol Version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey!

I know this may seem a bit silly, but one of the reasons why I have not ordered this board is because of the "beer" action on side B.

I don't drink alcohol, so it does kind of bother me, but also, having something that is not an in game action bothers me too. (I think I would be somewhat equally unwilling to get it even if it had Coke.)

I know they're probably not going to rerelease this without any alcohol, but I was wondering if people also felt the same way I did?

Thanks!

P.S. Thinking about it, maybe the beer makes all neighboring leaders drunk and they lose abilities until the end of the game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
colormage1 wrote:
Hey!

I know this may seem a bit silly, but one of the reasons why I have not ordered this board is because of the "beer" action on side B.

I don't drink alcohol, so it does kind of bother me, but also, having something that is not an in game action bothers me too. (I think I would be somewhat equally unwilling to get it even if it had Coke.)

I know they're probably not going to rerelease this without any alcohol, but I was wondering if people also felt the same way I did?

Thanks!

P.S. Thinking about it, maybe the beer makes all neighboring leaders drunk and they lose abilities until the end of the game.

Just use the other side only, substitute a drink of your choice - such as root beer, or ignore this portion of it. It is more tongue in cheek than a necessary in-game balancing mechanic.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't follow your logic. I don't kill people, but I always buy red cards in 7 Wonders ... surprise
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is more a humorous sidekick, for Belgian Beer and Mannekens piss.

So probably you will not play some of these: Rule Pearlsas some contain non-game references.

Alternativly you can drink non-alcoholic/american beer.

BTW fruit juice contains up to 0.5% alcohol.

colormage1 wrote:
Hey!

I know this may seem a bit silly, but one of the reasons why I have not ordered this board is because of the "beer" action on side B.

I don't drink alcohol, so it does kind of bother me, but also, having something that is not an in game action bothers me too. (I think I would be somewhat equally unwilling to get it even if it had Coke.)

I know they're probably not going to rerelease this without any alcohol, but I was wondering if people also felt the same way I did?

Thanks!

P.S. Thinking about it, maybe the beer makes all neighboring leaders drunk and they lose abilities until the end of the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lock
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you, this is one of the reasons that I didn't buy this Wonder. The beer thing seemed unfitting, silly and felt a bit wrong.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle W.
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Now appearing in Jurassic World! (Not really)
badge
How Me Grimlock get geekgold?
mbmbmbmbmb
The beer is just a meaningless little extra thing they threw in for fun.


If the alcohol consumption aspect bothers you and you can't (or won't) simply ignore it, just pretend it's apple juice or something.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, just don't use the (B)-Side of this Wonder. It's (A)-Side doesn't have the Beer Icon on it. laugh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Olson
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't drink either. I just make them get me a Dew.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
I always opt for the root beer myself. It's delicious.

But I never play B side of MP. I probably should.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Fouts
United States
Brookfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrNate wrote:
I always opt for the root beer myself. It's delicious.

But I never play B side of MP. I probably should.


Stevie is a windmill pick with side B!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
msg tools
This post topic deserves a First World Problems meme
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
New version of Manneken Pis will be included in upcomming mini expansion: Wonder Pack. Beer is almost for sure gone! All who care can rejoice now

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
PzVIE wrote:
I can't follow your logic. I don't kill people, but I always buy red cards in 7 Wonders ... surprise


That is my answer when people wonder why a military victory doesn't destroy any buildings. "Oh, they don't destroy any buildings, they just massacre humans."

Is this the thread where we grouse about the B sides of wonders? Because I might like to complain about the B side of Zeus.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Erkkilä
Finland
flag msg tools
I don't want to be rude but why so big mess just for a beer? One beer doesn't make you alcoholic. And if you don't want to use that rule I believe that you can agree that with your friends.

Also IMO the promo manneken pis is much better than the wonder pack's manneken pis.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miceli
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Any sense if folks will be favoring one version of Pis over the other (regardless of the whole beer or no-beer question)? Is the original promo Pis effectively no longer legit? Will folks be shuffling both versions in for random selection?

I'm not sure what my approach will be, but likely will include both versions for random selection. Just curious what others will be doing.

me
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, there are few problems with older version of the Wonder:

1. You get wonder stages very cheap. It can be huge discount when compared to original cost of the stage copied. Some may find this a bit unbalanced.

2. It was unclear what can you copy from 2-stage only wonders.

3. The biggest offender here: Copying Petra's (from Cities expansion) second stage (both sides). The discount is so hufe (7 or 14 points for just 2 resource investmen) that its for sure unbalance. It's almost like getting free win at the start of the game.

4. Some people where offended by a beer thing. Not me, but I can understand them.

If I decide to get Wonder Pack I will replace my old M.Pis with a new one!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miceli
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Reid666 wrote:
Well, there are few problems with older version of the Wonder:

1. You get wonder stages very cheap. It can be huge discount when compared to original cost of the stage copied. Some may find this a bit unbalanced.

2. It was unclear what can you copy from 2-stage only wonders.

3. The biggest offender here: Copying Petra's (from Cities expansion) second stage (both sides). The discount is so hufe (7 or 14 points for just 2 resource investmen) that its for sure unbalance. It's almost like getting free win at the start of the game.

4. Some people where offended by a beer thing. Not me, but I can understand them.

If I decide to get Wonder Pack I will replace my old M.Pis with a new one!


Exactly the type of feedback I was looking for - thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Glastonbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the Wonders Pack. I'm upset that they took the beer off the B side ;*(
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.