Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Hims
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly more appropriate to a backgammon-specific forum, but I credit fellow BGGers with a high level of knowledge...

I'm sure when I learnt the game of Backgammon (from this book I believe) that it was permissible to choose the order in which you played your dice should it not be possible to play both. Every source of the rules I've looked at recently states that the highest die must be used first in this instance. This ring any bells for anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow, interesting.
I see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backgammon#Movement agrees that the higher die must be used.

I didn't know that rule - I learned to play in my childhood and have always played it that you can choose which die to use (and I think others I've played with also let you choose) - but I am only a casual backgammon player.

PS: FWIW I looked at the Polish and Esperanto wikipedia articles and they don't seem to clarify this uncommon situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never heard of that rule. Plus, it makes zero sense.

Example - You roll a 6 and a 3. You cannot move a checker 6 because all your 6 moves are blocked. But you can move 3. So you move the 3.

That rule says you must the 6? That is impossible.

Or does it say you must move the highest of the two possible. In other words, the 3 is highest of the two that you can move, so you must move the 3? That is really bad wording.

Basically - the rules are:

- The players must use, and move with, both dice if able.
- The player may use dice in any order.
- Dice that do not have an allowable move are not used
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rygel, the rule is "If either one die or the other but not both can be moved, the higher must be used". So imagine you have only one checker which can move and it can move 3 or 6, but not 9. This rule means that you must move it 6.

I don't know if this rule is actually widely enforced though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The one and only (but one of two in BGG)
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Games are not movies or stories; they're vehicles for creative decision making.
badge
"Desire makes everything blossom; possession makes everything wither and fade." (Marcel Proust)
mbmbmbmbmb
Rygel wrote:
Or does it say you must move the highest of the two possible?

Yes, that's the rule. It has been in every set of backgammon rules I've ever read since the early 1970s, and it's the way I've always played. It's also the way tournament backgammon players play.

If you roll 6-3 and can use either the 6 or the 3 (but not both), you must use the 6; you may not use the 3 instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The one and only (but one of two in BGG)
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Games are not movies or stories; they're vehicles for creative decision making.
badge
"Desire makes everything blossom; possession makes everything wither and fade." (Marcel Proust)
mbmbmbmbmb
dypaca wrote:
I don't know if this rule is actually widely enforced though.

It's enforced in all of the several backgammon software programs I've used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's so cool. I had never heard of that rule, but that is great to know. I will play it that way from now on.

Thank you!!!meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's a bit of a weird rule the first time you hear it. The basic idea is that a player should use as much of his roll as possible. While it doesn't come up often, the rule does, in fact, come up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Hims
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Yes, that's the rule. It has been in every set of backgammon rules I've ever read since the early 1970s, and it's the way I've always played. It's also the way tournament backgammon players play.

Thanks (to everyone, though Patrick invokes 40 years of experience to earn the quote ).

Whilst I do think that's more consistent with the rest of the rules, I have such a clear memory of reading a section that talked about how a player could influence their overall move by choosing which to play first that I'm now disappointed in myself. Strongly suspect that I was mis-reading (or mis-remembering, though that feels less likely!). May have to go on a quest to find the book again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leeds55 wrote:
Patrick Carroll wrote:

Thanks (to everyone, though Patrick invokes 40 years of experience to earn the quote ).

Whilst I do think that's more consistent with the rest of the rules, I have such a clear memory of reading a section that talked about how a player could influence their overall move by choosing which to play first that I'm now disappointed in myself. Strongly suspect that I was mis-reading (or mis-remembering, though that feels less likely!). May have to go on a quest to find the book again...

Chaulk it up as another Olympic Gaffe...

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
leeds55 wrote:
Whilst I do think that's more consistent with the rest of the rules, I have such a clear memory of reading a section that talked about how a player could influence their overall move by choosing which to play first that I'm now disappointed in myself.

Well, to be fair, under normal circumstances, you can. Maybe that's what you were remembering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.