Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

No rising did take place at all.

This is how the setup looked like:

Scary, isnt it? After the last beating i took from the brotherhood, i was a little
afraid. But only three rounds seemed quite little time to me, even if those outlaws
could take multiple turns each round.

I started with Gregor, putting a huge level 4 fire onto the one objective, making
it quite hard for Stark to try the double-X-way rigth from the start. He answered
by having his cavalry ride in all directions, engaging my men on both flanks.

On the other side of the river, my men scored a very lucky three-hit-attack
against the red rank northmen, and drove back the green ones. Brotherhood
riders went on, killing my guards and taking the left x point. I rallied Gregor and
laid a second fire, then used his commit ability to spread, catching three of Starks
units in fire, without a possibility left for him to order them.

The fire spread up, unfortunately, putting Gregor and my archers on burning
ground, too, but it seemed not to bad, given the path to the y targets was now
blocked for the better part of it.

After round one:

Gregor, my archers and the green warhost spent their turns quenching the fire.
One unit of outlaws had burned, and some brotherhood cav just sat there,
waiting for another hit by fire. My lannisport guards moved west and drove the
knights off the point, advancing to retake the x. But Beric came down, killed em,
and the other guys retook it. I sent the other guards immediately, and they
brought Beric to reduced strength, at least.

Kevan finished the red warhost, but Thoros and some outlaws started towards
the right y, and killed my heavy infantry with an all valor roll. Taking both x
seemed very unlikely, but the red priest was uncomfortable near one y. The fire
spread down this time, heating up the green warhost again.

After round two:

I moved my archers onto the y, and placed Kevan and the green heavy infantry
next to them, to make them stalwart. I also managed to kill the last remaining
figure in the Thoros’ unit, leaving him on his own.

Stark did something strange now, and i believe this was the turn which sealed
his doom: The brotherhood cav attacked Gregor, and he used call to arms to
place a warhost on the x point. The objective was now defended by two green
infantry units instead of two blue cav, i had my guards attack, kill them, and
advance onto the spot.

Beric did retake the point, but after that, Stark had only one brotherhood token
left, and the priest even got captured by my archer’s counter-attack (what a
lucky roll!). A victory, but i am pretty sure this could have ended either way.
Besides, Gregor in his fiery version is so cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the picture angles in this one, it makes it easy to see the action. Btw wich one of you is in that cameo shot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This scenario looks really interesting, so glad that you guys decided to continue playing through the Brotherhood set.

What are the victory conditions in this scenario? And how do you guys feel about the balance of the Brotherhood vs. Units with standard activation limitations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
North_Wolf wrote:
Love the picture angles in this one, it makes it easy to see the action. Btw wich one of you is in that cameo shot?

That guy looks like a raving Stark to me.

KenToad wrote:
What are the victory conditions in this scenario? And how do you guys feel about the balance of the Brotherhood vs. Units with standard activation limitations?

Victory conditions: Stark wins if at the end of round 3 he
- controls at least one marker above and one below the river
- or controls both markers below the river (Gregor's side) and at most one Lannister unit remains on that side of the river (not counting the fords).

I decided early on to go for the first victory condition, as the second one seemed much harder.

So what did go wrong? That touches directly on Ian's question about the activation rules. After playing 23, it seemed to me that the Brotherhood was really powerful, and could activate when- and wherever they felt like it. That feeling was responsible for me sending one of the cavalry units to the right, instead of concentrating on the command marker to the left. I thought that I could ride there anytime I wanted (and ride a few Lannisters down on the way to boot). I did not work out that way in this game. As Jan said, I ran out of brotherhood tokens in the end (even though the scenario is only 3 rounds). Actually, I ran out of command options even earlier, or I would have moved that cavalry again instead of letting it burn out. I twice had to use two morale tokens to order a unit - had I been able to use only two of those for getting back Brotherhood tokens, things might have ended differently.

Also, the True Kings Outlaws don't seem nearly as powerful as the Knights. I really miss being able to Advance (especially in this scenario), and while I used the Scrapper ability twice, it didn't work any wonders.

I have to say that this little scenario is really a gem - kudos to Rob for designing this. So much variety and tactical options squeezed into three rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.