Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a little contest that new players can have fun with and for the old hands to show us what they can do.

Scenario: Passage Through Mirkwood (Solo - 1 hand)
Deck: Core cards and heroes only - 50 card min tourney deck - no changes between plays.

Scoring:
6 points for a win;
3 points for a loss while at the 3rd stage
1 point for a loss while at 2nd stage

Play 3 games and add up your total. If you score 15 and up, please share your decks and key ideas (what cards do you look for in your starting hand; what combinations if any do you use consistently on most turns).

In one week, we move to the Anduin, campaign style!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Corbin
United States
Tallahassee
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
any limit on the number of core sets used? 1 or 3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Corbin
United States
Tallahassee
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went with one core set. scored 18 on your scale, 3 wins.

No supper special combos, just a pretty straight forward deck... not too many options really with just the core set.

getting steward of gondor on aragorn as early as possible is probably the most important thing though, I took a mulligan if it wasn't in my opening hand.

I quested with Eowyn every round, and with Aragorn strategically, saved Eleanor for the caught in a webs and used her for defending when I could (i.e., it wouldn't kill her). I only used Eowyn's ability once (to help clear an active location) and again Aragorn's ability was used strategically.

as a side note, in all three games I never once saw or didn't play: Ever Vigilant, Sneak Attack, Grim Resolve, Faramir, Longbeard Orc Slayer, Brok Ironfist, A Light in the Dark or Unexpected Courage.

Heroes

• Aragorn (Core Set 1)
• Eleanor (Core Set 8)
• Éowyn (Core Set 7)

Deck

leadership

events
2x Ever Vigilant (Core Set 20)
2x Sneak Attack (Core Set 23)
2x Valiant Sacrifice (Core Set 24)
2x For Gondor! (Core Set 22)
1x Grim Resolve (Core Set 25)

attachments
1x • Celebrían's Stone (Core Set 27)
2x • Steward of Gondor (Core Set 26)

allies
3x Snowbourn Scout (Core Set 16)
3x Guard of the Citadel (Core Set 13)
2x • Faramir (Core Set 14)
2x Longbeard Orc Slayer (Core Set 18)
1x • Brok Ironfist (Core Set 19)

spirit

events
2x A Test of Will (Core Set 50)
1x Dwarven Tomb (Core Set 53)
2x Hasty Stroke (Core Set 48)
2x A Light in the Dark (Core Set 52)
2x The Galadhrim's Greeting (Core Set 46)
3x Stand and Fight (Core Set 51)

attachments
2x Power in the Earth (Core Set 56)
2x The Favor of the Lady (Core Set 55)
1x Unexpected Courage (Core Set 57)

allies
2x Wandering Took (Core Set 43)
3x Lórien Guide (Core Set 44)
2x Northern Tracker (Core Set 45)
3x • Gandalf (Core Set 73)

Total 50
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another (somewhat bold) deck that scored a triple win for 18 points.

The first game was really close, though, because of a very nasty start (with the Spawn coming out and engaging on the first round and then having to face the Spawn again at the end; luckily I had an ally I could feed to it, then Gandalf came to the rescue (he appeared a total of three times during the journey, once via Sneak Attack) and was quite vital when those dreaded Hummerhorns made their appearance).

Only saw Steward of Gondor once, and that was at the start of the second game, before I realized that I had forgotten to shuffle my discard pile back into my deck... oh well... and gone it was.

LEADERSHIP/LORE/SPIRIT

Heroes

Aragorn (Leadership)
Glorfindel (Lore)
Eowyn (Spirit)

Leadership

2x Faramir
3x Snowbourn Scout
2x Longbeard Orc Slayer
2x Ever Vigilant
2x Sneak Attack
2x Steward of Gondor
1x Celebrian's Stone

Lore

3x Daughter of the Nimrodel
2x Erebor Hammersmith
1x Henemarth Riversong
2x Miner of the Iron Hills
2x Gleowine
2x Secret Paths
2x Protector of Lorien
1x Dark Knowledge

Spirit

3x Lorien Guide
2x Northern Tracker
2x The Galadhrim's Greeting
2x Hasty Stroke
2x A Test of Will
3x Stand and Fight
1x Dwarven Tomb
2x The Favor of the Lady
1x Unexpected Courage

Neutral

3x Gandalf

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theduke850 wrote:
any limit on the number of core sets used? 1 or 3?

No, no limit. If you've got them, go ahead and use them.
Forgot to add one obvious rule - no deck changing between plays.

Thanks for sending those in. I'll be getting one of mine in this afternoon.

Really surprised that a 3 sphere deck worked well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Really surprised that a 3 sphere deck worked well!

Me too, actually.

My initial thought would have been using a two sphere deck, but it would have looked almost identical to the first one, so I figured why not try something else.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, here's a Spirit/Leadership deck that has some problems.
It always leads to very exciting games but it can't get the win consistently.

I scored a 10/18 today with it.

Heroes

• Aragorn
• Dunhere
• Éowyn

Very close to Chris' choice up above. I tried Eleanor originally but then moved to Dunhere. Eleanor's ability is pretty much duplicated by the Test Of Will card.

Dunhere's ability occasionally comes in handy in this one - he's able to whittle down the Ung. Spawn and can occasionally take out another enemy in one attack. There's a little combo you can do with Dunhere and A Light In The Dark that cancels an enemy attack and gives him a +1 on his but it is expensive for 1 damage on the spawn - so much so, that I zapped that card from my deck before this playthrough.

I find that with this deck I'm always praying for Gandalf and can't take care of the big enemies on my own. Most of the good Allies combatwise are on the Leadership side and if Aragorn can't draw and keep his Steward of Gondor, it's difficult to bring them into play fast enough.

Faramir x 2
Longbeard Orc Slayer x 2
Son Of Arnor x 2
Snowbour Scout x 3
Guard Of The Citadel x 3
Sneak Attack x 2
Steward Of Gondor x 2
Common Cause x 2
Celibrian's Stone x 1
Ever Vigilant x 2
Valiant Sacrifice x 2

Lorien Guide x 3
Northern Tracker x 2
Wandering Took x 2
Favor Of The Lady x 2
Unexpected Courage x 1
Fortune Of Fate x 1
Stand And Fight x3
The Galadrin's Greeting x 2
Hasty Stroke x 2
Power In The Earth x 2
A Test Of Will x 2
Strength Of Will x 2

Gandalf x 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also 3 straight wins here - 1 core set.

Theodred / Beravor / Eowyn

Leadership:
3 Snowbourn Scout
2 Faramir
1 Guard of the Citadel
1 Brok Ironfist

1 Celebrian's Stone
2 Steward of Gondor

2 Sneak Attack
2 Valiant Sacrifice

Spirit:
2 Northern Trackers
2 Wandering Took

1 Unexpected Courage

3 Stand and Fight
2 Hasty Stroke
2 Test of Will
2 Galadhrin's Greeting
1 Will of the West
1 Dwarven Tomb

Lore:
3 Daughter of the Nimrodel
2 Erebor Hammersmith
2 Miner of the Iron Hills
2 Gleowine
1 Henamarth Riversong

2 Protector of Lorien
2 Forest Snare
1 Dark Knowledge

2 Lorien's Wealth

3 Gandalf

The first game went very smoothly, an early sneaked gandalf took down spider and orcs, tracker took out enchanted stream, steward on bevavor, we left the path, forest snare on u spawn after chump, hard cast gandalf finished off the spawn.

The second game was more of a grind. Forest snare spider, chieftan and hummerhorns stayed in staging, painful eyes of the forest, got sneak and lorien's wealth, built back up with allies - getting out a healer, two trackers, gleowine and faramir. Took out the hummerhorns and chieftan with a gandalf and then cleaned up Beorn's Path with Faramir and and bunch of questers. Stalled for a long time (12 turns total) trading while I built up.

The final game was a tough start with mountains of mirkwood followed by necromancers pass, no tracker so I traveled to the mountains adding a beastmaster. Beravor got caughtin a web. A great forest web meant I had to take the beastmaster, which a sneaked Gandalf killed. Several locations followed, and snowbourn scout / stand and fight were key (getting rid of 2 Necromancer's Pass. Got out all the good stuff and cleared up.

This was fun. Let's do another!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:
Ok, here's a Spirit/Leadership deck that has some problems.

Heroes

• Aragorn
• Dunhere
• Éowyn

I think, I would try Theodred instead of Dunhere in that deck (since the Ld cards are more expensive, and there is still the chance to get the Stone for Aragorn to make him Spirit as well).

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:

I think, I would try Theodred instead of Dunhere in that deck (since the Ld cards are more expensive, and there is still the chance to get the Stone for Aragorn to make him Spirit as well).
Bye
Thanee

In the process of trying it right now.

Game 1: 1 point. Very frustrating. Got swarmed by enemies and no allies to pick up. Starting hand and mulligan draw both horrible.

Game 2: Wow. Mulligan draw had all three Gandalfs as well as a sneak attack!

Spirit/Leadership is taking a while to get used to. I have a Tactics/Lore deck that is working very well and when I do my starting draw for those there are basically 3-4 cards that I'm looking out for that will give me an easy game if I get 2 of them. With this Spirit/Leadership deck, I'm not really noticing any killer cards.

=======================================================

Game 2 just completed. 7 points now. Easy duel against the spawn. Only used one Gandalf and one Sneaked Gandalf before the endgame. Steward of Gondor on Eowyn and Celebrian's Stone on Aragon turned them into questing machines and broke down the boundaries between the two spheres for purchasing.

Fun game.

========================================================

And game #3 just completed for 6 points. Total for deck is 13. I'm pretty happy with this deck as it is.

Game was very exciting and was the complete opposite of game #2. No Gandalfs this time, in fact I would have to say that the Wandering Tooks saved the game for me. I used two of them and then brought them each back with Stand and Fights at the perfect moment. Only good card I had was Steward which was brought into play early.

We made it to stage 3 which turned out to be another duel with Ung. Spawn. My hand was depleted with not too much present. I had lots of resources however and could buy whatever came up each turn at will.

We were not ready to deal with the spawn but I could not stomach wandering around that god-forsaken forest searching him out to surprise him with a full hand in a day or two. We called him to battle and he came, along with some orc allies - and the fight was bloody.

We called out to Gandalf to come to our aid with no result. In the end, however, the heroes, all on the verge of death emerged victorious.

=============================================================

I'm going to do one more run-through with my main Tactics/Lore deck and will start thinking about the rules for the next weekend challenge.

It will probably be play through Journey Along the Anduin with one of the decks you used here with minor mods allowed (swap a hero and 10 cards). Or another way to do it would be to build a new deck using spheres not used in this one.

For Escape From Dol Guldur (haven't played that one yet!) we'll go to 2 handed solo with all 4 spheres.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 straight wins

Theodred / Beravor / Eowyn

Ally (22)
Faramir 2
Snowbourn Scout 3
Longbeard Orc Slayer 2
Lorien Guide 3
Northern Tracker 2
Erebor Hammersmith 2
Henamarth Riversong 1
Miner of the Iron Hills 2
Gleowine 1
Daughter of the Nimrodel 1
Gandalf 3

Event (18)
Ever Vigilant 1
For Gondor 1
Sneak Attack 3
Valiant Sacrifice 2
The Galadhrin's Greeting 3
Hasty Stroke 2
Will of the West 1
A Test of Will 3
Dwarven Tomb 1
Lore of Imladris 1

Attachment (10)
Steward of Gondor 2
Celebrian's Stone 1
Unexpected Courage 3
Forest Snare 2
Protector of Lorien 2

1st game
Turn 90 + Threat 29 + Dead 0 + Damage 0 + VP 0 = 119

2nd game
Turn 60 + Threat 27 + Dead 0 + Damage 3 + VP 0 = 90

3rd game
Turn 80 + Threat 28 + Dead 10 + Damage 4 + VP 0 = 122

3rd game is the hardest because two enemies attack, King Spider exhaust my character, leaving Dol Guldur orc attack undefended, and Hummerhorn appear as shadow. While I still have 1 spirit resource, I have A Test of Will instead of Hasty Stroke (i forgot to cancel King Spider oh well), so Beravor has to die. Luckily, 3B is a 10-quest, I manage to get past 2 turns and won (thanks to Eowin+Celebrian+1 discard)

in the three games, funny thing is UC hardly appears, and when two UC was drawn, I manage to equip one to Beravor only to be discarded in the next turn. Sneak Attack appears probably only once in a game and SoG only appears in game 2, hence the best score there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nightrain wrote:
... and Hummerhorn appear as shadow.

Yeah, that can be really crazy. I have played a total of 8 games with the deck I posted above now (7 wins and 1 loss in the 7th game, which was exactly due to an undefended enemy with Hummerhorn shadow - killing two heroes! Talk about ouch! ).

I also tried Anduin once, but that is impossible with a deck like this (30+ starting threat and no real way to deal with the troll is not a good combination for that scenario).

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Made another three-sphere deck in preparation for tackling Anduin, which also scored 18 with 3 solid wins. This deck is really fun!

TACTICS/LEADERSHIP/SPIRIT

Heroes

Gimli (Tactics)
Theodred (Leadership)
Eowyn (Spirit)

Tactics

3x Veteran Axehand
1x Beorn
2x Feint
2x Quick Strike
2x Citadel Plate
2x Dwarven Axe

Leadership

2x Faramir
3x Snowbourn Scout
2x Longbeard Orc Slayer
2x Sneak Attack
2x Valiant Sacrifice
1x Grim Resolve
2x Steward of Gondor
1x Celebrian's Stone

Spirit

3x Lorien Guide
2x Northern Tracker
2x The Galadhrim's Greeting
2x Hasty Stroke
2x A Test of Will
3x Stand and Fight
1x Dwarven Tomb
1x Fortune or Fate
1x Unexpected Courage

Lore

3x Daughter of the Nimrodel

Neutral

3x Gandalf

Bye
Thanee

P.S. Made one change afterwards, Horn of Gondor went out in exchange for Grim Resolve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
10/18 for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran McCann
United Kingdom
Belfast
Nothern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So where are the next 2 senarios?
I want to see people beat the scenarios in core with just core cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kihon wrote:
So where are the next 2 senarios?
I want to see people beat the scenarios in core with just core cards

Yeah, it hasn't been done, yet.

It might be doable for the second (not as easy as this one here, but still doable)... you probably won't see it for the third, though (well, maybe 1 win in 50 tries or something like that ).

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone posted a two-deck approach here. Havn't tried it, though.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Vei
Czech Republic
flag msg tools

I found this thread and I just had to try it! I own 1 copy of the core set and first two adventure packs (more coming on Christmas ) so this challenge is great for me (I play only since May but I really enjoy this game).

I tried to build Lore/Leadership resource engine and it worked really well and I had a lot of fun with this deck. Main combo of this deck is Glóin + Self Preservation. Basically you generate resources through Glóin and heal him back to full. This makes Self Preservation one of the most important cards in this deck. The second one of the most important cards is Steward of Gondor which generates resources for one of your Lore heroes. Another good cards are Celebrían's Stone and Protector of Lórien which both help you to quest succesfully. (Protector of Lórien also works well on Glóin so he can defend also the biggest enemies) This deck also has very nice card draw so you can get to needed cards pretty quickly.

I scored 18.

I know that Passage throug Mirkwood is very easy quest, but I think that this deck is not bad and will do good at other quests too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEADERSHIP/LORE RESOURCE MACHINE

Heroes:
Glóin
Glorfindel
Beravor

Allies:
3 Daughter of the Nimrodel
2 Gléowine
1 Henamarth Riversong
2 Erebor Hammersmith
2 Miner of the Iron Hills
2 Longbeard Orc Slayer
3 Snowburn Scout
2 Faramir
3 Guard of the Citadel
3 Gandalf

Attachments:
1 Dark Knowledge
2 Forest Snare
2 Self Preservation
2 Protector of Lórien
1 Celebrían's Stone
2 Steward of Gondor

Events:
2 Gandalf's Search
3 Lore of Imladris
2 Lorien's Wealth
2 Common Cause
2 Valiant Sacrifice
2 Sneak Attack
2 Ever Vigilant
2 For Gondor!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Holland
msg tools
theduke850 wrote:
I went with one core set. scored 18 on your scale, 3 wins.

No supper special combos, just a pretty straight forward deck... not too many options really with just the core set.

getting steward of gondor on aragorn as early as possible is probably the most important thing though, I took a mulligan if it wasn't in my opening hand.

I quested with Eowyn every round, and with Aragorn strategically, saved Eleanor for the caught in a webs and used her for defending when I could (i.e., it wouldn't kill her). I only used Eowyn's ability once (to help clear an active location) and again Aragorn's ability was used strategically.

as a side note, in all three games I never once saw or didn't play: Ever Vigilant, Sneak Attack, Grim Resolve, Faramir, Longbeard Orc Slayer, Brok Ironfist, A Light in the Dark or Unexpected Courage.

Heroes

• Aragorn (Core Set 1)
• Eleanor (Core Set 8)
• Éowyn (Core Set 7)

Deck

leadership

events
2x Ever Vigilant (Core Set 20)
2x Sneak Attack (Core Set 23)
2x Valiant Sacrifice (Core Set 24)
2x For Gondor! (Core Set 22)
1x Grim Resolve (Core Set 25)

attachments
1x • Celebrían's Stone (Core Set 27)
2x • Steward of Gondor (Core Set 26)

allies
3x Snowbourn Scout (Core Set 16)
3x Guard of the Citadel (Core Set 13)
2x • Faramir (Core Set 14)
2x Longbeard Orc Slayer (Core Set 18)
1x • Brok Ironfist (Core Set 19)

spirit

events
2x A Test of Will (Core Set 50)
1x Dwarven Tomb (Core Set 53)
2x Hasty Stroke (Core Set 48)
2x A Light in the Dark (Core Set 52)
2x The Galadhrim's Greeting (Core Set 46)
3x Stand and Fight (Core Set 51)

attachments
2x Power in the Earth (Core Set 56)
2x The Favor of the Lady (Core Set 55)
1x Unexpected Courage (Core Set 57)

allies
2x Wandering Took (Core Set 43)
3x Lórien Guide (Core Set 44)
2x Northern Tracker (Core Set 45)
3x • Gandalf (Core Set 73)

Total 50

I just purchased the core set about a week ago and played through the "Passage Through Mirkwood" quest with the different spheres to get a feel of what was in the deck and to familiarize myself with the game. I probably won 2 times of the the 8 or 9 times I played with the stock 29 card decks and 1 Galdalf.

I played this deck as my first deck of combining 2 different spheres (50 cards total with 3 Gandalfs) and won my first 2 games easily. I decided to try the second quest "Journey Along the Anduin" with this same deck and managed to defeat it on my second try. I didn't even draw any Gandalf cards. I also didn't draw any "steward of Gondor" cards. Pretty awesome deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.