Dominion: Dark Ages» Forums » News

Subject: Previews #1 - Graverobber, Poor House, Sage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer

There comes a time in every man's life when he must preview Dark Ages cards. On second thought maybe that's not as universal as I was thinking. Anyway, metaphorically, there comes a time etc. And that time for me is now. Actually it was a few minutes ago, when you were reading the cards. I figured I'd just let you keep reading though. Have your fun. I can wait. Okay then.

Dark Ages has several themes and mini-themes. It's a big sprawling expansion. I am previewing three cards a day, that's how big it is. It's also the crazy combo expansion, and today's cards demonstrate that without even trying.

Graverobber is the way to get things from the trash that you always knew I'd make eventually. What you didn't know is that it would look like that. If you're gonna take things from the trash, you have to make sure there are good things to get. Graverobber does this by rewarding you for trashing expensive actions - just the kind of thing you'll want back later. And when you do take a card from the trash, it puts it on your deck, so you'll draw it before the game is over. Of course if someone else has Graverobbers, maybe they'll get that card first. It's a competitive business in these troubled times.

Poor House says, build a deck with no money. Also a Village, no money and a Village. If you can't trash your money, at least discard it somehow. And it costs $1. Why even have a card that costs $1 - aren't you usually going to be paying at least $2 for it? Well sure, but you know. Not always. Anyway it's cool to have a card that costs $1, I don't know what to tell you.

There's a tendency to want to show off the most exotic cards, but I don't want people to think the set will just be non-stop confusion. So I'm also showing off a simpler card, Sage. Dig for a card costing $3 or more, that's all there is to it. It will turn into something good for a while; then eventually it will start reminding you about those Provinces you bought. And of course sometimes a Sage just wants you to talk to another Sage.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to play a game with Pirate Ship and Poor House. Pile up those Poor Houses and see if the other players want to hit you with Pirate Ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bee Jay
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks Donald! You the man!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!

I am sure I will be proven wrong at some point but I'm not loving Sage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kenntoft
Sweden
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards costing 1

OMG at Graveroober
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bee Jay
Australia
flag msg tools
Poor houses with Black Markets would work really well too... no money in your hand as you play it all first!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the battle axe icon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Altman
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I'm confused as to how Poor House works if you have more than 4 treasures in your hand. Does the "minimum of 0" part mean it only take away money from actions you've played earlier in the turn and not form cards you play later?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Biernat
Poland
Dabrowa Gornicza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to see that the pictures on the cards are consistent and match the 'dark ages' theme perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bee Jay
Australia
flag msg tools
Sniffnoy wrote:
I'm confused as to how Poor House works if you have more than 4 treasures in your hand. Does the "minimum of 0" part mean it only take away money from actions you've played earlier in the turn and not form cards you play later?

Agreed, does it only apply to the +4$ from Poor House or to your running tally of money/coins/$?

On reading it again... I think that it will apply at the point you play it, to your running tally at the time... will await clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sniffnoy wrote:

If you have four coppers or four silvers or four golds or any combination of, Poor House is worth zero coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bjcj123 wrote:
Poor houses with Black Markets would work really well too... no money in your hand as you play it all first!

You'd still need a village, because I don't think Black Market has +1 action.

Grave robber looks SWEET! And is a great counter to a lot of cards, mine especially. Cool beans, cool beans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wilkins
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
My Sea Hag got Sea Hagged... might as well drink my own piss
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
Nice!

I am sure I will be proven wrong at some point but I'm not loving Sage.

Sage/Sea Hag and Sage/Young Witch openings say hello.

You could be playing the curser on turns 3 AND 4 if things line up right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan. These are 'permanent microbadges' to free up space on my microbadge row
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sniffnoy wrote:

(assume Council Room or something)
Play Market, you have 1 coin to spend
Play Market, you have 2 coins to spend
Play Poor House and reveal 5 Silver cards, you have 1 coin to spend
Play 5 Silvers, you have 11 coins to spend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grantham
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I'm guessing "from 3 to 6" means "3, 4, 5 or 6". I've had people tell me that "from x to y" doesn't include y, since if you go from here to the door, you stop before you get to the actual door. But I'm guessing that's not what you mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Brien
United Kingdom
Reading
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sage + Tunnel, so close!

Back to Golem/Tunnel for me...

(Perhaps with a Highway...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
Sniffnoy wrote:

Now, I'm confused.

2 for 2 markets, 10 for 5 silvers, 0 for 1 Poor House w/ 5 treasure in hand.

I think we're at 12. Right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
"It's all right up to the eyebrows, then it just goes haywire! Look at the eyebrows. These are attack eyebrows. You can take bottle tops off with these!"
badge
Trust your Doctor.
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
Sniffnoy wrote:

This is how I interpret it. Poor house has the potential to be worth negative coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wilkins
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
My Sea Hag got Sea Hagged... might as well drink my own piss
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
Sniffnoy wrote:

Poor House will never give you negative coins (minimum of zero as stated on the card). Adjusting the example from above:

Play Poor House and reveal 5 Silver cards, you still have 2 coins to spend
Play 5 Silvers, you have 12 coins to spend

Poor House breaks down like this when you play it, if you reveal...

no treasure cards, it is worth 4 coins
1 treasure card, it is worth 3 coins
2 treasure cards, it is worth 2 coins
3 treasure cards, it is worth 1 coin
4 or more treasure cards, it is worth 0 coins

I stand corrected, although I still think it is a little ambiguous at first glance if you haven't played with it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
Sniffnoy wrote:

That makes sense, the way it is worded. Otherwise the +4 would be something like +4 less # of treasure in hand.
As it is written, it is:
+4 to running total
-# of treasure cards in hand

Thanks for clarification, good to see the wording lines up with the intent once again. Perhaps my favorite thing about Dominion is the rules are 99% on the cards in full. Only thing that ever really gets reviewed in our games is nested Possession timing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
"It's all right up to the eyebrows, then it just goes haywire! Look at the eyebrows. These are attack eyebrows. You can take bottle tops off with these!"
badge
Trust your Doctor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
jeffwolfe wrote:
Sniffnoy wrote:

Now, I'm confused.

Market = +1 coin
Market = +1 coin
Poor House = 4 coins - (1 coin x 5 treasure cards in hand) = -1 coin
5 Silvers = 2 coins * 5 = +10 coins

1+1-1+10 = 11
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
andwilk9176 wrote:
jeffwolfe wrote:
Sniffnoy wrote:

Poor House will never give you negative coins (minimum of zero as stated on the card). Adjusting the example from above:

Play Poor House and reveal 5 Silver cards, you still have 2 coins to spend
Play 5 Silvers, you have 12 coins to spend

I believe the 0 minimum is to the running total, as noted in Jeff the playtester's example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Putts wrote:
Hockey Mask wrote:
jeffwolfe wrote:
Sniffnoy wrote:

Now, I'm confused.

Market = +1 coin
Market = +1 coin
Poor House = 4 coins - (1 coin x 5 treasure cards in hand) = -1 coin
5 Silvers = 2 coins * 5 = +10 coins

1+1-1+10 = 11

Not less than zero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Altman
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
andwilk9176 wrote:

Poor House will never give you negative coins (minimum of zero as stated on the card).

Except it doesn't state just *what* has a minimum of zero, is why it's ambiguous. Is it the coins from the card itself that has a minimum of zero? Or your total coins that has a minimum of zero? Or what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martín Borda
Argentina
San Nicolás de los Arroyos
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can´t see the images here at work!!! cry
Someone can please write down the cards text PLEASE!!!
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.