Dominion: Dark Ages» Forums » News

Subject: Previews #2 - Feodum, Cultist, Ruined Market rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer

Feodum is the victory card that counts treasures that you always knew I'd make. What you didn't know is that it would only count Silvers. If Coppers count, man, that's like a Gardens deck, we built that one already. I mean it's different but whatever. If Golds count, man, I already wanted a deck with a lot of Gold. So it only counts Silvers. And to help that out, it's a Silver piñata. You might even buy one just to crack it open, with no plan of really going for Feodums.

Feodum does something when you trash it. There are a bunch of cards like that in this set. There's really only so much you can do with the trash directly, like Graverobber, but you can do tons of things based on cards getting trashed. And if you are the kind of person who likes card combos, these cards are for you. For example you can just Remodel a Feodum into a Feodum, for the 3 Silvers. Look at that.

Cultist also does something when you trash it. Those of you who were waiting for a Dominion expansion that let you sacrifice Cultists, finally, here it is. And hey you get three cards when you do it. When you play Cultist, you give people a Ruins, that sounds bad, and you draw two cards, and hey you can play another Cultist. These guys stick together. In fact if your deck's only actions are Cultists, you can just string them together, like a line of hurtful Laboratories.

Ruinses, it turns out, are a pile of cards like Curses, with three ways to get them, besides just buying them or something. They only show up in games with a Looter, which is a word you may have been wondering about on Cultist. There are five different ones (ten copies each) and they're shuffled together, I'm not making this up. As with Curses you only use ten total per opponent. Not two of each per opponent, just whatever random mix you got. So when you play Cultist, your opponent will get one of these five cards. You will know which one is on top of the Ruins pile, but not what's under it. You won't really care; even though some are worse than others, they're all bad.

Ruined Market for example just gives +1 Buy. It's as simple as Smithy! I am betting you can guess what three of the other Ruinses do. The last one will remain a small mystery until next week. Looking at the art, it appears that that Ruined Market was once Grand. It's hard times for all of us.

Once you get given a Ruined Market, well, it's pretty bad, but it does do something. You don't usually want it - though it has a certain charm in a Fairgrounds deck - but who knows, maybe that +1 Buy will come in handy. So it's like a Curse but more interesting. And really that's the whole point to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff again. So you just have a Ruins deck out when there's a Looter card among the Kingdom cards selected?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it. It's very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Now we have cultists. I guess Cthulhu can't be far behind
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tarjei Aasen
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not what I expected Ruins to be. Pretty neat.

"Each other player gains a Ruins." seems very awkward gramatically. Is there any reason you didn't say "Ruins card"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens www.spielefreun.de
Germany
Heinersreuth
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext is really cool. The best 100 GG I've ever spent.
badge
Well. I'm actually bored with overtext. Why did I give all that GG away?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting. Although the Ruined Market should be half-white.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Williams

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW! I have heard a lot of ideas about Ruins, but I don't believe any of us pictured them quite like this.

I can't wait to get my copy of this expansion. It is going to add so much to this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Love Brandefelt
Sweden
Tullinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it any special way to trash the cards that does things when they are being trashed. Else it will not be possible to trash the cards in a game without trashers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tarjei Aasen
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom cards: 35 x 11 = 385 cards
Ruins: 5 x 10 = 50 cards
Shelters: 24?

So that's 460ish.

Four more sets of 10 cards that are upgrades of other cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Altman
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Yay, ruins! I must say I didn't expect this. (That they would be like this, I mean, not that they would be previewed.)

I guess of the 4 obvious ruins, Ruined Market has to be the best one to get stuck with. A card that just gives you +1 action (Ruined Village?) or just +1 card (Ruined Laboratory? Ruined Smithy?) essentially just takes up space in your deck, like a slightly-less-bad Confusion; this one at least actually does something, even if it's terrible. +$1 (Ruined... no idea) actually does something as well, but is worse than copper, so...

I assume that if you want to buy a Ruins, you can only buy whichever one is on top of the Ruins pile? How do Ruins work with Ambassador and Jester and similar cards? Do players just treat all Ruins as the same and gain whichever ones are on top?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Hadman
msg tools
mb
ruined village?

feodum seems neat. With trader or trusty steed, absolutely disgusting

Also, with cards LIKE graverobber, trash to get the 3 silvers, and pick it back up. I think someone could have a lot of fun with that one.

The cultist seems cool. It is kind of like a modified witch. I am assuming for the trash effect, you need something LIKE remodel or whatever. If you don't have trashing, they really lose a lot of utility.

Just noticed the insane synergy with graverobber. Trash a cultist, +3 cards and gain a province.

As for the ruins, hmmm. Not what I was expecting, but I like the idea. It seems to parallel the wound effects in Nightfall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Laurinburg
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mb
Motorkopf wrote:

That was going to be my question.

Does Ruined Market count as an Action Card for "trash one Action card" type actions... or --- sheesh --- (I can't remember the card) xVP's for yAction cards.

How would Ruins work with Fairgrounds?

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trader + Feodum!!!

Also, is there a reason that Feodum and Cultist aren't also "reaction" type? The wording for "when you ___, you may ____" sounds just like Tunnel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony K
msg tools
lbrande wrote:
Is it any special way to trash the cards that does things when they are being trashed. Else it will not be possible to trash the cards in a game without trashers.

I was wondering about this too. These cards have great bonuses when trashed, but we can't trash them unless we play a card that allows us to Trash them, right? Otherwise, I'd go for the Feodoms from the beginning for those 3x Silvers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bee Jay
Australia
flag msg tools
lbrande wrote:

Maybe they'll be like reactions without attacks, in that the part of the card that reacts is simply a bonus, although not always possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tarjei Aasen
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shelters will be replacements for Estates. Maybe they let you trash cards.

GendoIkari_82 wrote:
Trader + Feodum!!!

Also, is there a reason that Feodum and Cultist aren't also "reaction" type? The wording for "when you ___, you may ____" sounds just like Tunnel.

Reaction cards are those that let you do things in another person's turn, no? These don't necessarily do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bjcj123 wrote:
lbrande wrote:

Maybe they'll be like reactions without attacks, in that the part of the card that reacts is simply a bonus, although not always possible.

This seams clear to me. You might have Tunnel in a game with absolutely no way to ever discard it outside of cleanup phase. You can also have Cultists in a game with no way to ever trash them. I don't really see a problem with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Motorkopf wrote:

But then again, so should Action-Reaction cards like the moat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TarjeiAasen wrote:
Shelters will be replacements for Estates. Maybe they let you trash cards.

GendoIkari_82 wrote:
Trader + Feodum!!!

Reaction cards are those that let you do things in another person's turn, no? These don't necessarily do that.

Tunnel is a reaction card that works on your own turn as well as your opponent's turn. And, like Tunnel, these could work on both your turn or on your opponent's turn (Bishop).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah O.
msg tools
lbrande wrote:

I think it's like Tunnel, in that sometimes its special ability won't be available, but it's still interesting in those games nonetheless.

Also consider that the existence of trashing affects the usefulness of those cards in other ways. If there's trashing, you're taking a risk with Feodum in making a bloated deck when other people are streamlining theirs. If there's trashing, deck-clogging attacks like Cultist are less brutal. So in both cases, the when-trashed ability balances out the fact that the card might be less enticing otherwise.

Motorkopf wrote:

Nah. Compare with Moat (Action-Reaction, all blue) or Lighthouse (Action-Duration, all orange), for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Laurinburg
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mb
donaldx wrote:
Ruined Market for example just gives +1 Buy. It's as simple as Smithy! I am betting you can guess what three of the other Ruinses do. The last one will remain a small mystery until next week. Looking at the art, it appears that that Ruined Market was once Grand. It's hard times for all of us.

+1 Action - Ruined Village? (play an action to get an action?)
+1 Card - Ruined Smithy? (I think "Ruined Library" has a nice ring)
+1 Money - Ruined _____

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tarjei Aasen
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
+1 Money - Ruined _____

Ruined Copper?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Motorkopf wrote:

If all Ruin cards are actions, and therefore Ruin is a subset of Actions, then like REACTION cards and DURATION cards, they don't really fall into the dual color set.

Or, that is to say, it appears to me that Ruin is a subtype of ACTION that get's a special identifier color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sniffnoy wrote:
Yay, ruins! I must say I didn't expect this. (That they would be like this, I mean, not that they would be previewed.)

I guess of the 4 obvious ruins, Ruined Market has to be the best one to get stuck with. A card that just gives you +1 action (Ruined Village?) or just +1 card (Ruined Laboratory? Ruined Smithy?) essentially just takes up space in your deck, like a slightly-less-bad Confusion; this one at least actually does something, even if it's terrible. +$1 (Ruined... no idea) actually does something as well, but is worse than copper, so...

I assume that if you want to buy a Ruins, you can only buy whichever one is on top of the Ruins pile? How do Ruins work with Ambassador and Jester and similar cards? Do players just treat all Ruins as the same and gain whichever ones are on top?

The only other obvious ones I'm seeing are +1 action or +1card

+1 coin, or +1VP don't make sense. What are the other 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.