Subject: Wife Destroys the Enchanted Bunny in the Arena rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
So I played this game for the first time with my wife tonight. I received the newest edition as a funding bonus for backing Edo on Kickstarter (I'm waiting for Roma to arrive with Escape: The Curse of the Temple).

I played it solo (managing both sides) a couple times to ensure I understood the rules. I really like the game and was excited after running through the rules.

My wife loves The Castles of Burgundy and easily understands the dice/action mechanic. So I assumed that she would catch on quickly to Arena: Roma II. We played three games, which were without the bribery variant.

And to make a long story short, she destroyed me. All three games were short with the following scores: 5-0; 2-0; and 4-0. Every game she just would battle against my cards and cause me to lose cards faster than I could replace them. She was getting very good cards from the single draw deck.

Even though she won, she said, "that was boring." By no means does her comment taint the game for me. I still like it and want my revenge. But next time, I want to split the decks or combine the cards from Roma when it arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest playing with the bribery spot, it adds quite a bit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Wiggle It!!!
Robman wrote:
And to make a long story short, she destroyed me. All three games were short with the following scores: 5-0; 2-0; and 4-0. Every game she just would battle against my cards and cause me to lose cards faster than I could replace them. She was getting very good cards from the single draw deck.

You did realize, that the cards that allow destruction, only allow destruction of a certain card type, and only to the opposite card spot, or adjacent to it? Why did you place your cards there, which could be destroyed?? ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
Almecho wrote:
Robman wrote:

You did realize, that the cards that allow destruction, only allow destruction of a certain card type, and only to the opposite card spot, or adjacent to it? Why did you place your cards there, which could be destroyed?? ^^

Ummmm... becuase if I don't put at least something in the open spot, I have to pay for it with VP the next round. I tried waiting at least one round to have a better selection in my hand but the attrition of VP puts a little pressure on you.

Also, 2 out of 3 games she got the two extra cash card plus the card that allows you to destroy any card for 10 cash. Luck of the draw was in her favor.

Trust me. I had her go first in the second and third game so I could strategically place my cards.

I will definately play with the bribery spot next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.