Dominion: Dark Ages» Forums » News

Subject: Previews #3 - Squire, Hermit, Madman rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer

Squire is the complement to Steward that you always knew I'd make. Okay maybe you didn't figure that one out. You get a choice of three things that Steward doesn't get you, plus $1 in the bargain. It's a pretty nifty $2, just for that. And if he gets trashed, then you get an attack, any attack on the table. You can Remodel a Squire into a Remodel and a Familiar.

A major theme of Dark Ages is upgrading, whatever that means. Actually I think I can explain it: it's, turning cards into other cards. Some cards turn other cards into other other cards, like Graverobber does, but some cards turn themselves into other cards, and Squire is one of those.

Hermit is another. He's normally content to just trash certain cards and gain some Silvers or something. But if you don't make enough trips into town, he loses it. He goes mad. And then he blows up one day in a fit of card-drawing. Which is my way of saying, well it's all there on the card. That stuff.

Hermit turns into Madman, a card that isn't in the supply. You can't buy a Madman; if you want one, you have to get a Hermit and then not buy something. And then you only get it once! Somehow it's worth the trouble.

Turning a card into a specific new non-kingdom card requires a pile of ten of those cards. Yes do you really need ten, I know. But you do. And well how much of the set wanted to go to that stuff, rather than say new kingdom cards? So in the end I just did two of those. Now you know one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for being so on-time for us, the obsessed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! After reading about those three cards, I believe I have already become a Madman! BBBBBLLLLLLLAHAHAHAHHHHH!!!!

Montebanc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Hammond
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you somehow get through the entire Madman stack, does that count towards game end?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
"It's all right up to the eyebrows, then it just goes haywire! Look at the eyebrows. These are attack eyebrows. You can take bottle tops off with these!"
badge
Trust your Doctor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff. Although I'm a bit confused by the wording on Madman, particularly the "if you do" part. Under what circumstances would you be unable to return the Madman card to the Madman pile?

EDIT: Answering this here in case anybody else sees this question...the answer is King's Court or Throne Room. Even if you play Madman multiple times as a result of one of these cards, you can only return Madman to the pile once (and as a result, only draw extra cards once). Thanks to everyone who answered this for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bee Jay
Australia
flag msg tools
logopolys wrote:
If you somehow get through the entire Madman stack, does that count towards game end?
it says on the card not in the supply so I would say no...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:

Isn't the game-over condition 3 *supply* piles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So when I play with Hermit, Young Witch and Tournament I'll have to put an extra leaf in the table...AWESOME!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Schoofs
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if I understand correctly, Madman is a additional non-buyable pile of cards that has to be included with the hermit if the latter is part of the game ?

A little bit like the prizes in Cornucopia, then. I'm quite interested by those new dark ages cards, I think it will bring new stuff to the game ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the interaction between these three cards. Good thing Madman is not in the supply or it would be the first empty pile every game (especially with +buys).

I'm sure I'm going to be thinking about how these interact with the other sets all day.

Thanks Donald!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
"It's all right up to the eyebrows, then it just goes haywire! Look at the eyebrows. These are attack eyebrows. You can take bottle tops off with these!"
badge
Trust your Doctor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
So when I play with Hermit, Young Witch and Tournament I'll have to put an extra leaf in the table...AWESOME!

Folks who make custom Dominion play areas/lazy susans just died a bit on the inside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
So when I play with Hermit, Young Witch and Tournament I'll have to put an extra leaf in the table...AWESOME! :D

Add in some Alchemy, Colonies, and Plats...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way...I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really like the artwork I am seeing in this expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gibbs
United States
Pearland
TX
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Putts wrote:
Great stuff. Although I'm a bit confused by the wording on Madman, particularly the "if you do" part. Under what circumstances would you be unable to return the Madman card to the Madman pile?

TR, KC.. It's the same clause that he used to prevent mining village from going nuts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Hammond
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pinkymadigan wrote:
logopolys wrote:

Isn't the game-over condition 3 *supply* piles?

I like that answer. Just looking for some clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph DiMuro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:

The Madman stack isn't part of the supply, so I doubt it.

Edit: a dozen posts popped up while I was typing this one. I REALLY need to type faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gibbs wrote:
Putts wrote:

TR, KC.. It's the same clause that he used to prevent mining village from going nuts.

Good call.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Altman
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
pinkymadigan wrote:
Hockey Mask wrote:

Don't forget the Ruins. And whatever the second transforming card is. (And since we've yet to find out what they are, maybe Shelters will add more piles as well.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Healy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Madman seems a bit like a special tactician.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pinkymadigan wrote:
Hockey Mask wrote:

...and Ruins. So what is the max piles we can get now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
pinkymadigan wrote:
Hockey Mask wrote:
So when I play with Hermit, Young Witch and Tournament I'll have to put an extra leaf in the table...AWESOME! :D

...and Ruins. So what is the max piles we can get now?

Enough that the extra leaf had better be good and sturdy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Gamer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Putts wrote:

When you King's Courted/ Throne Roomed it...

Edit: Beaten to the punch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bee Jay
Australia
flag msg tools
Sniffnoy wrote:
pinkymadigan wrote:
Hockey Mask wrote:

Don't forget the Ruins. And whatever the second transforming card is. (And since we've yet to find out what they are, maybe Shelters will add more piles as well.)

Fairgrounds are suddenly looking pretty epic!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cooper
Canada
flag msg tools
So many of the cards depend on trashing that Shelters *must* allow you to trash cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Trust your Doctor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gibbs wrote:
Putts wrote:

Sorry, what's "TR, KC"? Also, Mining Village had that clause because trashing it was optional ("You may trash this card..."). Madman says "return this", meaning it's compulsory.

EDIT: Throne Room, King's Court. Got it, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.