Dominion: Dark Ages» Forums » News

Subject: Previews #4 - Rats, Pillage, Spoils rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer

Rats is my favorite Dominion card. Now you know that about me. You give your kingdom a rat problem. Sure, you get rid of some garbage, but now you've got Rats, and they don't get rid of themselves. Isn't the solution worse than the problem? Plus, let's not forget, there are twenty Rats, rather than the usual ten. That's right: today, you didn't get the whole story just looking at the pictures. Twenty Rats, even in two-player games. Just chewing your deck to pieces. Well secretly there's probably something you can do with them. Looking over the cards spoiled so far, they seem to be a combo with most of them, what's up with that.

Pillage is a more conventional attack, in that it attacks your opponents. It's a one-shot. There haven't been very many but this is one. You make everyone else discard their best card, which is bound to hurt them, and you get two Spoils, which sounds good at least. It's a pretty rude attack, but at least it only happens once per copy bought, barring Graverobbers or something. The thing being Pillaged in the art is of course a Village. I remember when that was a peaceful place, with a guy on a horse.

Spoils is a one-shot Gold. That makes Pillage a one-shot that gets you two one-shots. You can't buy Spoils; there are three different ways to get it, and the other two get you them repeatedly. A one-shot Gold is pretty good if you were only drawing it once anyway, or if you didn't really want Gold in the long run, and if those things aren't true well hey it's still something.

There are 15 Spoils. I have seen them run out (temporarily of course) but it's rare. A little math reveals that there must therefore be only one victory card pile. Dark Ages has 35 kingdom cards, adding up to 352 cards, and 35 randomizers; 50 Ruins; 10 extra Rats; 10 Madmen and 10 of some other card you upgrade into; 15 Spoils; and 18 Shelters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RATS IS AWESOME!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hagerling
United States
Fort Collins
CO
flag msg tools
mb
While I agree that Dominion being light on theme is a generally valid complaint, the theme on rats makes me smile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wilkins
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
My Sea Hag got Sea Hagged... might as well drink my own piss
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm loving Rats, but man they will get out of control fast even just buying one! Without another source of trashing available, I think Rats will just ravage your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wilkins
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
My Sea Hag got Sea Hagged... might as well drink my own piss
mbmbmbmbmb
If you added +2 actions to Pillage, you'd have the...

Pillage Village

That is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Altman
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Aw man, I gotta wait till tomorrow to find out what Shelters do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
RATS IS AWESOME!

This. (I couldn't say it any better.)

I must confess that at first I thought "it's +1-card, +1-action, so why do I care how many of them I'm forced to take?". Then I re-read it and saw the mandatory trash. And after the draw too...

I love the idea, although right now I don't really see why you'd ever pay 4 for one - at least unless there were other ways to trash. Which I guess this set comes with a lot of. I guess I'll wait till I can try the card myself (and then a month or two for dominionstrategy.com to publish one of their great single-card articles on it )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally a Dominion cardf my wife might refuse to play - she hates Rats. Good info. These cards are going to be a blast to show people and watch them play in the RGG room at GenCon. Can't wait. Just a week now. Thanks for showing these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
You gotta keep the rat situation under control or they will kill off your workers in your most populated part of the city...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Altman
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Also, we can add one more to the pile count from yesterday...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Hadman
msg tools
mb
the one AWESOME thing about rats. They love gardens, right? Or at least Vineyards. The "must trash" does make it anti-gardens slightly.

Rats seems like a more dark age supportive card. It works ok with other sets, but shines in this one. I could be wrong.

Keep em coming. Will hopefully get to try it out on goko.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank gods the are 18 shelters for, im assuming, 6 players. I have been biting my fingernails over the need for extra shelters at my table since we are that outlier group that actually plays dominion most often with more than 3 players and often with 6 (three couples).
E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sniffnoy wrote:
Also, we can add one more to the pile count from yesterday...

I think this was covered in it, correct?

EDIT: never mind, misread something something...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hahhaah, thank you for finally settling the card count math for these guys. They obsess over such things...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tarjei Aasen
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

So you can trash a Squire to gain and trash a Pillage to gain and return two Spoils...

And 44 different cards in this set in total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bee Jay
Australia
flag msg tools
Love all the new cards! Good to know how many there are of each now too! It feels like Christmas everyday with these spoilers! Definitely the best way to release the cards!!! Rats is going to be crazy! Definitely not one to use when teaching people how to play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved Cornucopia and Hinterlands but Dark Ages seems truly game changing! Biggest "tweaks" in Dominion since Prosperity.

Prediction: This is going to be one of the Geeks' favorite expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing to remember is that you could get a rat or 2 early on to trash some cards. Then just not play it again. In which case it just clogs your deck a bit. So it's certainly got the potential to clog your deck, but only if you let it. I suspect though that with some of the other cards you could create a cool combo of building up rats and then trashing them all for silver or spoils or draws. I can definitely see some options there. Say a bunch of rats and a forge. Trash a couple rats and a copper for a province etc....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Jaeppel
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, Duress as a Dominion card.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eagle-Eyed Superhawk
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
If we can hit that bullseye, the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
mbmbmbmbmb
RATS! This is now officially my favorite expansion.

It's perfect. They destroy stuff and breed like crazy, and the picture gets across how huggable they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Eckman
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
It seems that Masquerade would team up well with rats to pass the plague around. Then, if it comes back to you, you can trash the rat. Interesting thought!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It seems that Masquerade would team up well with rats to pass the plague around. Then, if it comes back to you, you can trash the rat. Interesting thought!

Didn't Poe right a story about that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kryyst wrote:
The thing to remember is that you could get a rat or 2 early on to trash some cards.

But for every card trashed by rats, you gain another rats card. So it doesn't thin your deck unless you play it as a cantrip...

...but then you get more rats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kryyst wrote:
The thing to remember is that you could get a rat or 2 early on to trash some cards. Then just not play it again. In which case it just clogs your deck a bit. So it's certainly got the potential to clog your deck, but only if you let it. I suspect though that with some of the other cards you could create a cool combo of building up rats and then trashing them all for silver or spoils or draws. I can definitely see some options there. Say a bunch of rats and a forge. Trash a couple rats and a copper for a province etc....

You give me a hand with 7 coin and 1 rat and I'll show you a sucker playing rats for that extra card. My Dominion will soon overfloweth with Rats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Jünger
Germany
flag msg tools
uff now Dominion will be difficultsurprise
but i love the game so i can´t wait for it

I like Pillage, now there is an attack-card where i can choose which card my opponent discard from his handarrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.