Hide
11 Posts

Mancala» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Always Win if Go Second rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Singleton
msg tools
My son came up with a creative way of always winning if he goes second. Basically, he just mirrors every one of my moves (until the last move or two). I'm hoping this is not an always win approach as that would make the game less enjoyable.

Can someone please tell me how one could defeat such a strategy? I have not come up with any combination of moves that stops him from always winning in this manner.

Thanks!
~Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Which mancala game are you playing? In the one I prefer this would only be a sure way to lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Are you playing with this rule,
"If you sow the last pebble onto your side of the board in an empty pit, you capture all of the pebbles on the opponent’s side of the board in the pit opposite of the one you sowed your last pebble into"?

If, "Yes" then proceed.

If you have 6 shared pits and start with 4 stones in each pit then empty your 1st (from your right) pit on your 1st move. This will move stones such that his 6th, 5th and 4th pits will have 5 stones in them.

He copies. Your 6th, 5th and 4th pits now have five stones in them.

Sow your 6th pit. The last stone will land in your 1st pit. Take all the stones from his pit opposite and put them in your home pit.

He cannot mirror this move as his 6th pit is now empty. And none of his other last stones will land in his empty 1st pit.

xxxx|xxxx
xxxx|xxxx
xxxx|xxxx
xxxx|xxxx
xxxx|xxxx
_

xxxx|xxxx
xxxx|xxxx
xxxx|xxxxx
xxxx|xxxxx
____|xxxxx
x
xxxxx|xxxx
xxxxx|xxxx
xxxx|xxxxx
xxxx|xxxxx
____|xxxxx
x

xxxxxx|xxxx
xxxxxx|xxxx
xxxxx|xxxxx
xxxxx|xxxxx
___X|xxxxx
x
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Singleton
msg tools
Awesome and extra thanks for the diagrams! You rock!

I was playing with rules I found online which match yours, but have us only putting 3 stones in each hole. Are 4-stones more standard?

~Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
The "more info" description on the page for this game says, "The commercial sets start the game with 4 pebbles in each pit (but you can also start with 3, 5, or 6 pebbles in each pit as variants)."

I was playing this a lot a few years ago with 6 stones and a board very much like this one with 7 shared pits on each side.

If you want to keep expanding with Mancala there are other games in the family with Oware being globally big.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG: Helping parents beat their kids for 12 and a half years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Assistants in the continuing mental development of those children who discover the mirror-move technique.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Singleton
msg tools
Thanks all. :-) I think 3-stone is flawed in a 6-hole board since 3 evenly divides into 6 it leads to problems like what we encountered with the mirror play. I think 4-stone will be much, much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Brother
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Could you give an example of how a game would go with this 'mirror play'? I ask because I would think that the symmetry is broken quite quickly making mirror play impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Singleton
msg tools
I've tried lots of different first moves. Start by having just 3 stones in the 6 hole board. No matter what you move, have the 2nd player copy that player. At some point late in the game (e.g. with maybe 2-3 piles remaining), the mirror player abandons the strategy and captures some stones. This leads to a 2-4 stone victory each time.

However, with 4 stones I don't think this will ever be a problem. I believe it comes from a function of the symmetry of 3-6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Brother
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
I believe that your conclusion is somewhat premature. Take a look at the following:
0 - 3 - 3 - 3 - 3 - 3 - 3 - x
x - 3 - 3 - 3 -(3)- 3 - 3 - 0

x - 3 - 3 - 3 - 0 - 4 -(4)- 1

0 - 3 - 3 -(3)- 4 - 4 - 4 - x
x - 3 - 3 - 3 - 0 - 4 - 0 - 2

1 -(4)- 4 - 0 - 4 - 4 - 4 - x
x - 3 - 3 - 3 - 0 - 4 - 0 - 2

2 - 0 - 4 - 0 - 4 - 4 - 4 - x
x - 4 - 4 -(4)- 0 - 4 - 0 - 2

x - 4 - 4 - 0 - 1 - 5 -(1)- 3

x - 4 - 4 - 0 - 1 -(5)- 0 - 4

2 - 0 - 4 - 0 - 5 - 5 - 5 - x
x - 4 - 4 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 5

You will have broken symmetry by your second turn. Or take a look at this:
x - 3 - 3 - 3 -(3)- 3 - 3 - 0

x - 3 - 3 - 3 - 0 -(4)- 4 - 1

0 - 3 - 3 -(3)- 3 - 4 - 4 - x
x - 3 - 3 - 3 - 0 - 0 - 5 - 2

1 - 4 -(4)- 0 - 3 - 4 - 4 - x
x - 3 - 3 - 3 - 0 - 0 - 5 - 2

2 - 5 - 0 - 0 - 3 - 4 - 4 - x
x - 4 - 4 - 3 - 0 - 0 -(5)- 2

2 -(5)- 0 - 1 - 4 - 5 - 5 - x
x - 4 - 4 - 3 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 3

3 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 4 - 5 - 5 - x
x - 5 - 5 -(4)- 1 - 0 - 0 - 3

x - 5 - 5 - 0 - 2 - 1 -(1)- 4

x - 5 -(5)- 0 - 2 - 1 - 0 - 5

x - 5 - 0 - 1 - 3 - 2 -(1)- 6

x - 5 - 0 - 1 - 3 -(2)- 0 - 7

x - 5 - 0 - 1 - 3 - 0 -(1)- 8

x - 5 - 0 - 1 -(3)- 0 - 0 - 9

x - 5 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 1 -(1)- 10

x -(5)- 0 - 1 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 11

3 - 0 - 0 - 1 - 4 - 5 - 0 - x
x - 0 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 2 - 0 - 17

By copying your second turn (by which I mean your third move), the second player will have lost the game. I have a feeling that you missed possibilities like this and that 'even' 3 stones still has strategies you have not yet discovered. Now it may well be that eventually 3 stones per hole is not interesting enough (I don't know, I'm not an expert), but it is my belief that you haven't exhausted it yet. I'm interested to hear what the result was of the above scenario's if you try them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.