Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Schmidt
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I've looked through the forums for both the base set, and the expansions, and the B&T Upgrade Kit, and this is still not clear to me.

I have the "Catan Card Game" Revised Edition (mayfair #485)and in the back of the rules book it says 2005.

I DO NOT have _any_ "expansions" set.

I _do_ have the "Catan Card Game" B&T Upgrade Kit (Mayfair #48721).

My confusion is that in all the posts about whether or not people need this expansion or that expansions, the person supplying almost always refers to B&T as having cards to replace Expansion cards, but never clarify if that means B&T contains cards to replace ALL the Expansion cards, or _some_ of the Expansion cards.

If I have the base Catan Card Game and B&T Upgrade Kit, do I _also_ need to get an Expansion kit?

I understand that the most recent version of the Expansion kit includes B&T (I think?) this rendering my B&T irrelevant, so I suppose that would mean I would need to find the _old_ expansion? And I'm guessing (but not sure) that if there is a new Expansion that includes B&T, that means I probably need an Expansion set to use the B&TUK?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The B&T upgrade kit is for people who have either first edition of the base game (does not say "revised edition" on cover) or the first edition of the expansion set which only had 5 expansions. It provided the 6th expansion as well as some replacement cards for the base game and earlier expansions.

If you have the revised edition of the base game which came out in 2007 (says "revised edition" on cover), and you pick up the second edition of the expansion set (which is very likely and probably what you should get regardless), you don't need the upgrade kit.

Also there is a 7th expansion (Artists and Benefactors) that was not included in either expansion set and has to be purchased separately if you want it.

Edit: You can also just play with B&T and you don't need to pick up the expansion kit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destroyer of Islands
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, here's how it is: There was a boxed set called "Catan Card Game Expansion Set". This came with 5 mini-expansions that had been released individually in German, but not to my knowledge in English. After this was released, a 6th mini-expansion, Barbarians & Traders (B&T), was also released in German, and eventually in English, so if you had the 5 mini-expansions, you could get this "upgrade kit". Later on, the Expansion set was re-released also containing B&T. This is the copy I have. Later still, a 7th mini-expansion, called Artisans & Benefactors was released, and you can get that separately in English as well.

It sounds you have the 1 mini-expansion, without the 5 others that came in the boxed expansion set (or the 7th). You certainly don't need them, although I highly recommend them. Unfortunately, since all this, the Catan 2-player card game was completely revised, and re-released as The Rivals for Catan, and I don't believe the original expansion set is in print any more. At least, I haven't seen it at my FLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.