Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Cutcliffe
United Kingdom
Paignton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, in the pre-movement sequence of Rule 4.4 I get an initial deployment of 'Tank Stopped' or 'Hull Down'. But then immediately I start moving the tank around the Movement Board and eventually end up on the Battle Board under 4.6 with Tigers and whatnot taking potshots at me. So does the Hull down thing apply then? Does the 4.4 position etc. apply to every battle on the Battle Board? Why not determine the starting position for each battle as it happens?

Any ideas, guys?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a long long time since I played this, but I think the point is you start at a base, and might possibly begin the day with an enemy counterattack. But after you start moving, your tank is on the move and you're not in a defensive position anymore.

I think that's it, could be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are never "Hull Down" when moving...that is a static defensive position.

You can try to move your tank into a hull down position on the Battle Board but you have to specify that is what you are trying to do (other than just moving the tank). You could possibly throw a track or get bogged down in the attempt, although the odds of doing so are pretty slim (have to roll a 98-99 for throwing a track and a 100 for bogging down). A hull down Sherman has much better survival odds when being shot at by the enemy.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cutcliffe
United Kingdom
Paignton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great, thanks guys. So if the hull-down defensive position is lost with movement - which is of course correct and proper - what about the 'US Control' markers you get at the setup phase 4.4? Do they accompany the tank into action or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey W
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm not mistaken, the control markers move according to the movement diagram adjacent to the battle board and do not maintain their position relative to the tank. I don't have my copy of Patton's Best handy, though, so I can't cite a specific rule to justify this, unfortunately...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the rulebook and game handy and I cannot find anything in the rulebook or errata concerning the movement of the U.S. Control Markers after their placement in Sectors 1-2-3. I would assume that they stay where they are and do not move with your tank (i.e., if you move forward the U.S. Control Markers move one section back in the 1-2-3 sectors. U.S. Control Markers may be added or removed based on Random Events (rulebook section 15.0).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cutcliffe
United Kingdom
Paignton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. One of the odd things they speak about, though, is as if the whole sector is either US controlled or not, implying at all ranges. The more I look at it, the more I get the impression you only place three markers, not nine.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin David Bliss
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
King_Drax_I wrote:
Thanks guys. One of the odd things they speak about, though, is as if the whole sector is either US controlled or not, implying at all ranges. The more I look at it, the more I get the impression you only place three markers, not nine.....

Each US Control marker covers an entire sector ( all ranges ). They do not move when your Tank moves. Therefore, yes , you only place 3 markers on the "battleboard". The others are for use on the "movementboard" ( "map" ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.