Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Saint Petersburg» Forums » Rules

Subject: Observatory - can not add to hand if already at hand limit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Been a long time since I've played St. Pete and got to play this past weekend and there was some confusion regarding the rules for Observatory that...

Options when using the Observatory are:

1. pay to build/lay-down the card

2. discard the card drawn

3. add the card drawn to your hand

I thought it was obvious that if you were already at your hand limit (3 or 4 w/warehouse) that option 3 wasn't available...

However the most experienced player thought you could choose option 3 and then discard any card from one's hand to get down to your hand limit.

The Observatory is powerful enough, imho being able to put it in your hand when your hand is already full and then being able to discard any card, especially one you may no longer want to build/lay-down.

We did play with my interpretation but just want to confirm I was right or learn if I was wrong....
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D a v i d B u r k e y
United States
Fort Smith
Arkansas
flag msg tools
602,200,000,000,000,000,000,000
badge
I'm a mole man....
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
Been a long time since I've played St. Pete and got to play this past weekend and there was some confusion regarding the rules for Observatory that...

Options when using the Observatory are:

1. pay to build/lay-down the card

2. discard the card drawn

3. add the card drawn to your hand

I thought it was obvious that if you were already at your hand limit (3 or 4 w/warehouse) that option 3 wasn't available...

However the most experienced player thought you could choose option 3 and then discard any card from one's hand to get down to your hand limit.

The Observatory is powerful enough, imho being able to put it in your hand when your hand is already full and then being able to discard any card, especially one you may no longer want to build/lay-down.

We did play with my interpretation but just want to confirm I was right or learn if I was wrong....


The rules for the game clearly state that one of the options is to discard the card drawn by the observatory and not another one already in your hand. I am pretty sure your interpretation is correct.
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think his friend interprets the hand limit as a soft limit (exceed then discard) rather than a hard limit (never exceed). I read the rules as a hard limit.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct. If you want to (or need to) discard a card from your hand, you may only discard the one you have just drawn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
You are correct. If you want to (or need to) discard a card from your hand, you may only discard the one you have just drawn.


So let me ask this question Eric. What if you have four cards in hand, can you upgrade the warehouse?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
What if you have four cards in hand, can you upgrade the warehouse?

Yes
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
What if you have four cards in hand, can you upgrade the warehouse?

no surprise been asked/answered in it's own thread at

Can you upgrade the warehouse when you have 4 cards in hand?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I missed that in my read through. So by keeping the cards in your hand, it didn't really confirm that hard hand limit principle. I thought it might.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
Interesting. I missed that in my read through. So by keeping the cards in your hand, it didn't really confirm that hard hand limit principle. I thought it might.

it's unrelated to the topic of this thread, please see other thread I referenced
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it is a bit off topic, I thought that the two might be related conceptually at first, but I agree they are not.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.