skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Microbadges are back! The small little badges that express our likes, dislikes, and general oddness are back. I have decided to take up the mantle of the boardgame microbadge admin. Wish me luck!

Back in the days of old, when the great Joe Grundy was running this ship, the process was far more difficult. The process is greatly changed and much simpler now. We now have a tool to upload your own microbadges.

First off, you will find the new tool at this URL: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/microbadge/create

Anyone can use this tool to upload a new microbadge. The new microbadge will have to be approved by a microbadge admin though for it to show up in the system and available for purchase.

The new process will be as follows:

1. Search the current microbadges and make sure you are not duplicating an already existing badge.
2. Create your badge. The badge must have a TRANSPARENT background.
3. Upload the badge using the tool ( http://www.boardgamegeek.com/microbadge/create), and in the Admin notes, post a link to where you posted your badge in this thread for community discussion.
4. After a period of time (a week or so depending on the amount of discussion), the badge should be approved. Your peers will be driving this process. Not me. I am just a gatekeeper.

Like all things on BGG, this is an evolving process. Please bear with me as we try to streamline this as we go along. I fully expect the first month or two after the re-emergence of badges to be swamped with new ones. We have been without new microbadges for a long time, and folks are suffering withdrawal symptoms. Remember, I am only one person, so the initial backlog may be long. So be patient.

Back to some basics. Here are the current rules to microbadges:

• First, if you do not recall, here is the link to microbadge basics: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Microbadge
• Before creating a new badge, please make sure it is not already in the system.
• As usual, microbadges should be appropriate for the site.
• Please make sure you are happy with your badge before you upload it. I can fix badges later, but it is a manual process.
• Have fun and be nice to each other.

And if you want to request a badge that you do not wish to make yourself, please see below:

Microbadge Request & Design Feedback GeekList v4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Exit...pursued by a bear.
mb
You fool! er, I mean good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoot of an owl, chatter of leaves, by a spooky crossroads waits
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
About my last post in the previous thread, I pressed quick reply before your "final post" had appeared. Also, break a pixel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The list of pending microbadges is helpful in step one of the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happened? Why did we change threads? I liked the old one. It had character. I bet this new one is filled with lots of modernities that scare me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert VG
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No way I'm not going to be on the first page! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
taragalinas wrote:
What happened? Why did we change threads? I liked the old one. It had character. I bet this new one is filled with lots of modernities that scare me.

Once threads hit 1,000 pages they start to be troublesome. Time to start fresh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D a v i d B u r k e y
United States
Fort Smith
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a mole man....
mbmbmbmbmb
First to thumb the new thread!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
Other useful links:

Fixes and Clean-up for Existing Microbadges
Microbadge Request & Design Feedback Geeklist 2.0
RPG Microbadges - Design, Discussion and Request Thread
Video Game Microbadges - Design, Discussion and Request Thread
New Microbadges Available for Purchase (and other Microbadge Events) Subscription Thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert VG
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archon313 wrote:

I think it too closely resembles your badges. I wouldn't have posted them if I'd paid good enough attention to what had already been posted.

Still, how's this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:

I meant the representation in the reference picture is already the right size and more similar in general shape and colour than your version. My suggestion would be to simply switch to that.

Ah. Sorry I misjudged your comment. Not sure those changes would save the MB from all the negative votes though :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garion wrote:
Archon313 wrote:

I think it too closely resembles your badges. I wouldn't have posted them if I'd paid good enough attention to what had already been posted.

Still, how's this?

Wow, that's almost better than mine! Just kidding... It is better than mine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of microbadges I tinkered with for Bloody April, 1917: Air War Over Arras, France.

For comparison:

Poll
How you like them badges?
  Yes, aces high No, crash and burn Hangar repairs, like this:
      39 answers
Poll created by taragalinas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The wings on this one appear to be asymetric

The blue outer ring on this one seems faded. And the right arm of the iron cross is smaller than the other half-arms
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archon313 wrote:
The wings on this one appear to be asymetric

The blue outer ring on this one seems faded

Ok. New versions:

Poll
Better
  Yes, nice No Needs more tinkering Vote Count
55.6% (5) 0.0% (0) 44.4% (4) 9
44.4% (4) 0.0% (0) 55.6% (5) 9
Total Voters 9
This poll is now closed.   9 answers
Poll created by taragalinas
Closes: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
Only 6 months until the next round.
badge
A little lower and to the left, please.
mbmb
Someone should put a link to the Microbadge stock images wiki on page 1. Wait, I think I just did.

Oh, and http://getgimp.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, a couple more. The game Polis: Fight for the Hegemony doesn't appear to have any microbadges.

Poll
Are they any good?
  Yes No They need work (How?)
      45 answers
Poll created by Archon313
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Laurinburg
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
mb for continuity.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"The actions that you're taking now… Are they based on the ideals you cling to? Or are they based on actual truths? And if they are…
badge
How much of the truth do you think you know?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Shiny, new thread! Ok, so, the Eclipse: Supernova expansion doesn't have any microbadges yet, so I made this one. It's a nod to an existing plasma missile badge for the base game (mb), with the difference being that this new one features the expansion-unique ion missile.

Eclipse: Supernova fan - Missile Envy

Poll
Submit?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Yes, yes, YES!
71.4% 5
Needs…(your post here)
28.6% 2
Voters 7
This poll is now closed.   7 answers
Poll created by MichMedia
Closes: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Archon313 wrote:

Could you emphasize the sword hilts ever so slightly? At least the one on the right. Basically darken some surrounding pixels by 0.0032%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
MichMedia wrote:
(mb)

Not necessary, but perhaps nice if it mirrored the existing design? Edit: assuming the graphic design in the game does, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"The actions that you're taking now… Are they based on the ideals you cling to? Or are they based on actual truths? And if they are…
badge
How much of the truth do you think you know?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
MichMedia wrote:
(mb)

Not necessary, but perhaps nice if it mirrored the existing design? Edit: assuming the graphic design in the game does, of course.

Interesting idea, however:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
Archon313 wrote:

Could you emphasize the sword hilts ever so slightly? At least the one on the right. Basically darken some surrounding pixels by 0.0032%.

It shall be done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a microbadge suggestion for:

Shannon Applecline fan

It's based on his avatar here on BGG
Shannon Appelcline
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I guess it should be listed under "Internet" - "Blogs"
in light of his blog "Mechanics & Meeples" http://www.mechanics-and-meeples.com/
However he's also a designer (Chaosium & Skotos for example), a reviewer (Tom Vasel wrote that Shannon's reviews were "some of the best reviews of board games on the internet") and in general an author on the game industry (his book Designers & Dragons just came out last year). So I'm a little unsure if that's the best place to list a microbadge for him.

Anyhow, I'd like your opinion:
Poll
Should I submit this microbadge?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Yep, it's good, send it in.
20.0% 1
Nope, it needs work (suggestion posted below).
80.0% 4
Voters 5
This poll is now closed.   5 answers
Poll created by Billythehut
Closes: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Billythehut wrote:
Here's a microbadge suggestion for:

Shannon Applecline fan

It's based on his avatar here on BGG
Shannon Appelcline
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

It should be named after the blog, not the user. Also, if you want to use the avatar, a straight resize from 64x64 to 16x16 will be more recognizable, I think.

Also, first on second page of new thread, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [1006] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.