Subject: Descent 2 Vassal Module rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Vassal [+] [View All]
Bryan Livingston
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'd like to try to play some Descent on the http://www.vassalengine.org game engine. I've been working on converting all the tileset bits into a vassal module. I think it's ready to try playing now.

This module now requires Vassal 3.2 Beta. It seems fairly solid and can be downloaded at http://sourceforge.net/projects/vassalengine/files/VASSAL-te...

It also does hero tracking now:

I'm thinking we could all meet up on Ventrillo, Google hangout, Skype or C3 and play a quick game. Maybe with the computer managing rolls and such the game could go faster and we could get a campaign in in a single 12 hour session.

As per FFG policy, the back side of all monster and lieutenant cards and the quest guide are not included to ensure players own a copy of the game.

This module now requires Vassal 3.2 Beta. It seems fairly solid and can be downloaded at http://sourceforge.net/projects/vassalengine/files/VASSAL-te...

Descent 2nd Edition Vassal Module (Version 1.0) (Full pre-setup maps. Missing tokens. Bug fixes. Requires 3.2 vassal beta3)

Descent 2nd Edition Vassal Module (v0.99) (Full Tiles. Requires 3.2 vassal beta3)

Descent 2nd Edition Vassal Module (v0.95) (Counters. Predefined maps. Requires 3.2
vassal beta3)

Descent 2nd Edition Vassal Module (v0.9) (Placeholder tiles added. Requires 3.2 vassal
beta)

Descent 2nd Edition Vassal Module (v0.4) (Added conversion kit. Many other refinements. Requires 3.2 vassal beta)

Descent 2nd Edition Vassal Module (v0.3) (Added all cards and more tiles. Requires 3.2 vassal beta)

Descent 2nd Edition Vassal Module (v0.2) (Added all skills and search deck)

Descent 2nd Edition Vassal Module (v0.1)

Descent 1st Edition Module (Not created by me)

Things still to do:
Make it so only OL can draw from OL deck
Make sure items and search only go back to their correct decks.
Get Draw Specific working for items. (Enter each card name)

Regularly Scheduled Game: Saturday Noon MST
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dekoulis
Greece
Palaio Faliro, Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Descent 2 Vassal Resources / Recruitment Thread
i would like to play a game to see how it goes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
I'M TRAPPED IN AN OVERTEXT FACTORY SEND HELP
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you make double-sided tokens for objectives/search markers? These would be necessary in Vassal.

I assume your games/campaigns won't be posted on the forum? If they will, you need to differentiate them somehow so they don't get confused with normal PBFs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
facebook.com/HistoricalBoardGames
mbmbmbmbmb
how does the overlord keep his hand hidden

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwick VonVeederVeld
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would love to play a hero and rock a campaign out with you on vassal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be happy to give this a go as a hero!

My only complaint so far - is that download service you used wanted me to install like 30 things just to get the file! And it was REALLY crafty in that if I read JUST wrong it would have installed lol.

But count me in! I'm Central time zone in US - and if it's a night where we would all get on at the same time etc... I'm usually free most weeknights after about 9pm for a couple hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
And I could do Ventrilo very easily for it. Would love to get a shot at it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. J. Cole
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't know if I'll have time to join any games but I will definitely help test it out and try to make time to contribute. A friend is moving away and we've been looking for a way to play online and VASSAL seems like the best option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it setup in anyway to do the "play-by-email" style of play? I haven't used Vassal in a long time - but that would be pretty sweet as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Livingston
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pierzasty wrote:
Did you make double-sided tokens for objectives/search markers? These would be necessary in Vassal.

I assume your games/campaigns won't be posted on the forum? If they will, you need to differentiate them somehow so they don't get confused with normal PBFs.

No double sided tokens yet. But I did figure out how to do that. Shouldn't be too hard. They call them masks.

I don't think there will be a ton of forum activity from the vassal games. Nothing like the giant PBF threads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Livingston
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlescab wrote:
how does the overlord keep his hand hidden

There are mechanisms for this in the engine. I've not quite got them figured out yet though. Also, I've not got any scans of the cards yet. Would anyone like to scan them? I think they will be at 200x300 pixels in size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Livingston
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SoylentRed wrote:

My only complaint so far - is that download service you used wanted me to install like 30 things just to get the file! And it was REALLY crafty in that if I read JUST wrong it would have installed lol.

But count me in! I'm Central time zone in US - and if it's a night where we would all get on at the same time etc... I'm usually free most weeknights after about 9pm for a couple hours.

Sorry about that. Stupid download services gotta try to make a buck. Is there one that you like using? Where's megaupload when you need them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Livingston
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SoylentRed wrote:
Is it setup in anyway to do the "play-by-email" style of play? I haven't used Vassal in a long time - but that would be pretty sweet as well!

I think Vassal can do that but I've not tried. I think dropbox folder sharing would work. Vassal's got a built in network system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Livingston
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm going out of town for a wedding but will be back Sunday evening.

Who could make it starting at say 7pm MST on Sunday? I've got a vent server available that I will PM to everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I MIGHT be able to swing that... I'll let you know!

Might be closer to 8pm MST though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Livingston
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LoneCoder wrote:
SoylentRed wrote:

Sorry about that. Stupid download services gotta try to make a buck. Is there one that you like using? Where's megaupload when you need them?

So BGG approved the file upload for the module. It's now at http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/81517/descent-2nd-edition-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
I'M TRAPPED IN AN OVERTEXT FACTORY SEND HELP
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely not going to participate, as it's 2 AM here. Hope to read a report tomorrow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Livingston
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pierzasty wrote:
Definitely not going to participate, as it's 2 AM here. Hope to read a report tomorrow

So nobody showed up. Kinda sad. cry

When would be a good time for everyone to play?

Did get a test in with my friend Randee and figured out one problem. How to do the whole "sync" with the hidden option on the right click player menu.

I did a bunch more work on the vassal module. Added the search deck which works prefect I think. Also added the skills for each class, which are totally awesome!

It's updated in the original post with the new v0.2 version. I'm self hosting so it's a quick download now. No more creepy file sharing service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Livingston
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just got the first play in and it works fabulously! I was teaching a friend of mine how to play and we got thru first blood in under a half hour! laugh cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Really sorry I couldn't make it last night. Was a really crummy night all around.

I will hopefully have some free time one of these nights this week - possibly tonight. I will PM you if I can!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Livingston
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've finished scanning everything. Will post a 1.0 version soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. J. Cole
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good news about your first play through! I hope to try it out this weekend at the latest. I'd be interested to hear any problems or difficulties that came up in your game. Also, what's left to implement?

Do you have any conversion kit stuff in or just the core set? I could help provide some data for the CK if you don't have it. If nobody else does I can probably try to get them scanned eventually as well, just not sure when I'll have time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, I was just trying it alone right now, OL card and relics are missing, also the travel cards, some tiles and the CK heroes, but really nice work=).
This is going to be great for the office!
Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Livingston
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay. Just posted a big update. All cards scanned and in the module now. Also more tiles from Pierzasty.

I switched to using the beta of vassal 3.2 so that I could use the group image import. Unfortunately this means you'll need to run the beta verson of vassal, but I've not had any problems with it yet. It can be downloaded here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/vassalengine/files/VASSAL-te...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Evans
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Board Game Replay
badge
Check out our series at youtube.com/boardgamereplay
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to play with some folks tonight. I'm at a conference in Bellevue, WA and all the board game meet up groups are $50 cab rides away. I'm on Pacific Time but I should be able to meet any time after 5pm (PST) for a game.

I also have a vent server we can use, so let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.