United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
(1)
"After playing an Event Card, place that card face-up in your Discard
Pile"

Does that mean that every Event immediately goes to discard, even if it has a persistent effect? This obviously impacts DD and their various discard-plucking abilities. If yes (which I presume), what do people use to indicate persistent effects -- just memory I suppose? I guess I'm conditioned from other games to be able to just leave a card with persistent effect out and that seems to be contrary to rules here.

(2)
Stun says "Common enemy Units that begin a
turn adjacent to this Deceiver cannot move or attack during that turn." So they don't Move or Attack, but do their abilities still work? Also can they be moved by other cards or effects? Presume Y, N to these questions but not certain and didn't see answers in the SW forum Books.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1: You resolve the effect and then discard; so if you have two cards in your discard, playing Summoning Surge will not fish itself back into your magic pile. If you had 5 cards in your discard, and played two summoning surges, you would resolve 1; discard and resolve the next (getting you 6 magic).

Memory, yes.

2: Abilities still work. No they cannot be moved, unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
(1)
"After playing an Event Card, place that card face-up in your Discard
Pile"

Does that mean that every Event immediately goes to discard, even if it has a persistent effect? This obviously impacts DD and their various discard-plucking abilities. If yes (which I presume), what do people use to indicate persistent effects -- just memory I suppose? I guess I'm conditioned from other games to be able to just leave a card with persistent effect out and that seems to be contrary to rules here.

In the FAQ for Summoning surge (Vanguards):

"Q: When I play Summoning Surge can I discard that Summoning Surge Event card and use it as 1 of the 3 cards being pulled out
of my Discard Pile and placed into my Magic Pile?
A: No. When you play an Event card, it is discarded at the conclusion of the Event."

So the event needs to "complete". However, many events give an ability to a unit or units, and those are complete as soon as the units have that ability (e.g. they can still use them all turn). As for how to remember, yeah, we mostly just remember, but we'll sometimes place the card to the side or (for something like Heroic Feat) on the affected creature.

Quote:
(2)
Stun says "Common enemy Units that begin a
turn adjacent to this Deceiver cannot move or attack during that turn." So they don't Move or Attack, but do their abilities still work? Also can they be moved by other cards or effects? Presume Y, N to these questions but not certain and didn't see answers in the SW forum Books.

Their abilities still work, though anything that says "instead of attacking" or "instead of moving" or that allows them to move they still cannot do. Effects that "move" (e.g. Haste, Goblin Rush) similarly do not work. If an effect would allow you to *place* a unit somewhere (e.g. Scrapper) or otherwise change their location without "moving" (e.g. Chant of Deception, Sneaks's ability), that can still work fine (though note the displaced unit still can't attack or move because it still began its turn adjacent to the deceiver).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, that actually seems pretty subtle. Are there any events you guys are aware of that stay out even for later card plays? Based on what you said Chris, it sounds like most cards would go to discard with really specific exceptions like Summoning Surge.

Also a related DD question -- I thought I saw somewhere that you Magic pile must maintain order integrity, but not discard. Is that true? Because that's pretty huge for the DD -- i.e., if you can pluck a specific Common out of discard into Magic with Meditation then use that event to bring that Common out from Magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Their abilities still work, though anything that says "instead of attacking" or "instead of moving" or that allows them to move they still cannot do.
The actual ruling is that those type of abilities can still be used, a Firebeast can kill a Deceiver using Hellfire. I hope that ruling gets revised soon though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PePe QuiCoSE wrote:
cferejohn wrote:
Their abilities still work, though anything that says "instead of attacking" or "instead of moving" or that allows them to move they still cannot do.
The actual ruling is that those type of abilities can still be used, a Firebeast can kill a Deceiver using Hellfire. I hope that ruling gets revised soon though.

Where does it say that? I don't remember making that ruling. The closest thing I can think of is allowing DD miners to tunnel away from Defenders.

Might be cleanest to say that DD miners can't escape from Defenders either, just to be more consistent with how attacks work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the ruling made on the Book of Deceivers:
http://www.plaidhatgames.com/sum_forums/showthread.php?750-T...
http://www.plaidhatgames.com/sum_forums/showthread.php?750-T...
I'm pretty sure it has been stated likewise in other places too.
Here you can see my take on the subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.