Enemy creatures can prevent your creature from moving into
a second zone. If your creature begins its Action Phase in a
zone with any enemy creatures, or enters a zone occupied
by an enemy creature, it is hindered. A hindered creature
may only move 1 zone during its Action Phase (even if it has
the Fast trait).

I think, the wording is unfortunate. I would suggest:

Quote:
If your begins its Action Phase in zone with enemy creatures, it may only move 1 zone during its Action Phase and if it enters a zone occupied by enemy creature it may not move any further.

or something like that.

Your ruling suggest, I can not move my creature 2 spaces if it will end its movement in a zone with enemy creature. If I understand your intention correctly, hindering just prevent creature from moving through enemy units and from running away from it. Am I right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ayumi Hakase
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule as written seems perfectly clear to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Rzepka
Poland
Gdynia -> Poznań
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This part:

Quote:
A hindered creature may only move 1 zone during its Action Phase

If this rule works from the moment, when creature became hindered:
- you are allowed to move 1 space if you start movement in the same zone as your enemy (TRUE)
AND
- you are allowed to make 1 more move, when you enter such zone. (NOT TRUE)
AND
- you are allowed to make second move, if it will result entering zone with enemy creature (TRUE)

If the rule acts backward:
- you are allowed to move 1 space if you start movement in the same zone as your enemy.
AND
- you are NOT allowed to make 1 more move, when you enter such zone.
AND
- you are NOT allowed to make second move, if it will result entering zone with enemy creature
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Corbin
United States
Tallahassee
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hindering occurs the moment your creature enters a zone occupied by an enemy creature. From that point, you may only move one space.

so:

a creature with the fast trait could move into a zone occupied by an enemy creature and then make one more move.

a creature with the fast trait starting from a zone occupied by an enemy creature can only move once.

a normal creature starting from a zone occupied by an enemy creature can only move once.

a normal creature can move into a zone occupied by an enemy creature and must stop.

from the example in the rule book:
Quote:
Example: This Timber Wolf has just been activated. Creatures can normally move 2 zones (use a move action to move 1 zone, and then as their quick action move a second zone). If the Wolf moves to the left, then as a quick action it can move a second zone down. However, if it moves down first, it must stop moving because the enemy there will hinder its movement.

a link to the magewars.com forum on a similar topic: http://magewars.com/jsite/forum/general-questions/607-hinder...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Rzepka
Poland
Gdynia -> Poznań
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok - first - thank you for clarification.
Second - I would like to say, I understand this rule now and no further explanation is needed.

But I think the rulebook is not clear about it.
It sholud say that:
- from the point when creature is hindered, it can use its movement action to move maximum 1 zone.
- hindered creature can not use its quick action to move.

Quote:
Hindering occurs the moment your creature enters a zone occupied by an enemy creature. From that point, you may only move one space.

this sentence idicates something different than:

Quote:
a normal creature can move into a zone occupied by an enemy creature and must stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Moerenhout
Belgium
Lede
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theduke850 wrote:

so:

a creature with the fast trait could move into a zone occupied by an enemy creature and then make one more move.

Are you 100% sure of this ?
The way I read the rule " a hindered creature can only move 1 zone during his action phase" I'd say, if the Fast creature has already moved 1 zone and now becomes hindered it has to stop there because he already had his 1 move during his action phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitko Simidchiev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
Check out our Bulgarian board games site BigBoxGamers.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theduke850 wrote:

I do not believe this is correct. The way I interpreted it is that hindered creatures can only move one zone on their turn, regardless of when they got hindered. So a fast creature moving into another one would mean it already moved 1 zone and cannot move any further. I may be wrong but this bit in the rules

Quote:
If your creature begins its Action Phase in a
zone with any enemy creatures, or enters a zone occupied
by an enemy creature, it is hindered. A hindered creature
may only move 1 zone during its Action Phase (even if it has
the Fast trait).

makes me think that you move 1 zone total on your turn regardless of when you became hundered. Just my two cents, of course, but that is how I read the rule.

Edit: And someone else had my concern 3 minutes before I did
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Corbin
United States
Tallahassee
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going by a comment posted on the magewars.com forum where a moderator/the art director of the game said:
Quote:
If your creature is trying to move through a zone with an enemy, it must stop in that zone on its turn. After that, the hindered creature can move out of the zone, but only one zone. It can still move one zone and attack or guard.

after rereading it, I'm not sure if he is talking about one action phase (my original reading) or if he is talking about moving through an occupied zone over the course of two actions.

thanks for pointing it out, I've gone from pretty sure to uncertain now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László Stadler
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper!
mbmbmbmbmb
theduke850 wrote:
I was going by a comment posted on the magewars.com forum where a moderator/the art director of the game said:
Quote:
If your creature is trying to move through a zone with an enemy, it must stop in that zone on its turn. After that, the hindered creature can move out of the zone, but only one zone. It can still move one zone and attack or guard.

after rereading it, I'm not sure if he is talking about one action phase (my original reading) or if he is talking about moving through an occupied zone over the course of two actions.

thanks for pointing it out, I've gone from pretty sure to uncertain now.

It's really straightforward. It does not matter how many additional moves it has (fast, slow, normal) it has to stop when it enters a zone with an enemy that "hinders movement". It can't move anymore that turn but can do everything else normally.

Next turn if it wants to leave the zone it can move one zone (even if it's fast) and do everything else normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCoy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Laszlo is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jedah Sagara
msg tools
unless the creature is elusive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagarajedah wrote:
unless the creature is elusive

Or can dance the lambada.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Dierckx
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
So am I correct that you can actually start your turn in the same zone as an enemy, move to an adjacent zone, and then mellee attack an enemy in that zone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you could still make a quick action attack. You just wouldn't be able to move into a second zone (or perform a full action of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Dierckx
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
Zub3ri wrote:
Yes, you could still make a quick action attack. You just wouldn't be able to move into a second zone (or perform a full action of course).

Noes! Then I have been playing it wrong for like 15 games. We played it like, if you start your turn on a zone with an enemy, you can only move 1 spot (thus not attack another enemy in an adjacent zone). Is this me, or is it not entirely clear in the rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The English rulebook v2.0 seemed perfectly understandable to me, but the combined codex does do a slightly better job.

Hinder (Game Term) If a creature moves out of a zone with enemy creatures in it, or if it moves into a zone with enemy creatures in it, it is hindered. A hindered creature must stop moving and cannot take any more move actions this Action Phase. Incapacitated, Restrained, or Pest creatures cannot hinder movement. Flying creatures cannot hinder the movement of non-Flying creatures, and vice versa. Elusive creatures cannot be hindered by other creatures.

This definition makes things very clear. Hindered occurs when you move out of or into a zone with enemy creatures, and it prevents you from taking any additional move actions. Other types of actions are unaffected.

You can find the combined codex along with the FAQ and most recent version of the rules on Arcane Wonders website here: http://www.arcanewonders.com/resources-and-downloads
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am curious now though. If you thought you were unable to make an attack after moving, what did you think the difference was between quick action attacks and full action attacks? Just for use with guard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Dierckx
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
Zub3ri wrote:
I am curious now though. If you thought you were unable to make an attack after moving, what did you think the difference was between quick action attacks and full action attacks? Just for use with guard?

I thought a full action always "consumed" your entire turn. So if you wanted to use a full action, you can never move.

A quick action however, gave you the opportunity to move 1 zone (non-slow creatures etc.) and then still attack. Unless (as I falsely assumed) you start your turn in a zone with an enemy. Then you can only move one zone, and hindering immediately ended your action phase. That's how we played it and it made sense to us.

I'll explain why: thematically since you start your turn in a zone with an enemy, we imagined the enemy was holding our character and hinder it when he wants to move to an adjacent zone. Since it costed him "more time and effort" to get free and actually move, I thought there had to be a difference between a non-hindered action phase and a hindered action phase. So therefor I thought that difference could be the fact that he wasn't allowed to do any other action, not even a quick action.

I began to doubt the way we played it, when I was thinking about the lumbering trait.

So now I'm pretty confused.

So is my summarization correct:

1) A creature can move 1 zone & do a quick attack or spell OR go on guard, even if it started its turn in a zone with an enemy.

2) A creature that wants to do a full action, can not move during its turn. Not even a fast creature.

3) A fast creature that starts his turn in a zone with an enemy can also only move 1 zone (since it also was hindered) & do a quick attack. (not sure about this)

4) A slow creature can only move one zone, but then its turn ends. He can not do a quick attack after moving. (not sure about this since I am a bit lost atm)

5) A lumbering creature is ALWAYS hindered, so it can also move 1 zone & do a quick attack, even if it started its turn in a zone with an enemy. It can however never move 2 zones. So I guess my last phrase is the only disadvantage of the lumbering trait?

Thanks for your clarification!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Kidd
United States
Thomasville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That summary is fairly accurate. There is a summary page in the English rulebook v3.0 on page 11 that explains your options.

1) A creature is hindered if it moves out of a zone with enemy creatures OR into a zone with enemy creatures. It is the same effect both ways and prevents them from taking an additional move action. They may still perform ANY other QUICK action.

2) A full action takes up the creature's entire turn. It can not move or perform any other actions. (Note that using the quick cast marker is not an action and occurs before or after a creature has acted, so you may still use it)

3) A fast creature is affected by hinder the same as other creatures. It may not take an additional move action even though it normally gets to for free. Thus the fast trait is essentially negated.

4) The slow trait is still in effect. The creature may not perform any other actions after moving.

5) A lumbering creature is indeed always hindered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Dierckx
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
Zub3ri wrote:
That summary is fairly accurate. There is a summary page in the English rulebook v3.0 on page 11 that explains your options.

1) A creature is hindered if it moves out of a zone with enemy creatures OR into a zone with enemy creatures. It is the same effect both ways and prevents them from taking an additional move action. They may still perform ANY other QUICK action.

2) A full action takes up the creature's entire turn. It can not move or perform any other actions. (Note that using the quick cast marker is not an action and occurs before or after a creature has acted, so you may still use it)

3) A fast creature is affected by hinder the same as other creatures. It may not take an additional move action even though it normally gets to for free. Thus the fast trait is essentially negated.

4) The slow trait is still in effect. The creature may not perform any other actions after moving.

5) A lumbering creature is indeed always hindered.

Thank you for validating my assumptions Zub3ri!

As I said, we've been playing it wrong for every game we played. I guess that's the reason why all our games lasted for 3 hours+ since of course the way we played it, a lot of turns no attacks were made.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.